Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Helldivers in the world

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:23 am

Hi all, I am updating the Helldiver section at the moment and realize I need updated photos (or photos in general) of the majority of them. So if you have photos of any Helldiver warbird (except 83589, I have that one covered) please send them to me (submit :lol: warbirdregistry.org - replace the :lol: with @) or post them in this thread, thanks.

Re: Helldivers in the world

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Here You go Scott some Sb2c Photos.
212 After it Arrived to Pensacola.
Another view.
212 After being placed in Pensacola.
Another View.
The one from California Lake.
And 212 at Dulles.

Mark Fidler

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I have heard that Ron Fagen bought a Helldiver project 3-4 years ago, but no idea what airframe it is.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Garbs wrote:I have heard that Ron Fagen bought a Helldiver project 3-4 years ago, but no idea what airframe it is.

BuNo 83393

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks Mark, those are great

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Here is the one under rebuild at Yanks Air Museum in Chino, CA

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Here are a few shots of the NMUSAF Helldiver project I took back in January of '09. You can the internal wing structure is in pretty rough shape.

And here are some snapshots from this past October. The project has been moved into a back corner, but other than that not much has changed. There was a gentleman working on building a new rudder from scratch, using parts from the SB2C recently recovered for the Naval Aviation Museum as patterns. Actually, the NMUSAF is making two rudders..one for their Helldiver, and another for the Navy's.

As I believe this is a composite of several airframes, I don't know if it has a specific BuNo or USAAF serial attached to it.

SN

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Hey Scott,

Help yourself to any of the pics I posted on the Otay Lakes bird!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 am

I posted the following photo in the past maybe you've seen it / maybe not ...so I thought I would post it again. I discovered this derelict Helldiver (SB2C-4?) in 1964 while exploring the former USN fighter strip at Marpi Point on Saipan. I've been assured that the aircraft no longer resides there so its fate is unknown. Perhaps it became a victim of the several Typhoons that have ripped thru the Marianna Islands over the years (150+ mph winds). The aircraft was in a pretty bad shape being a victim of salt air and high humidity and had a terminal case of corrosion. Marpi Point had been a CIA training ground thru 1963 so conceivably the aircraft was still US Gov't property.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

jdvoss wrote:I posted the following photo in the past maybe you've seen it / maybe not ...so I thought I would post it again. I discovered this derelict Helldiver (SB2C-4?) in 1964 while exploring the former USN fighter strip at Marpi Point on Saipan. I've been assured that the aircraft no longer resides there so its fate is unknown. Perhaps it became a victim of the several Typhoons that have ripped thru the Marianna Islands over the years (150+ mph winds). The aircraft was in a pretty bad shape being a victim of salt air and high humidity and had a terminal case of corrosion. Marpi Point had been a CIA training ground thru 1963 so conceivably the aircraft was still US Gov't property.

Sure would be nice to know what became of it, maybe it was reclaimed by Mother Earth! :drink3:

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:26 am

I took the following photo of this SB2C-5 at Chino, California circa 1966. It still has its original NAS Glenview Naval Air Reserve markings. Is this the current Commemorative AF ship??

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Would anyone know what proportion of surviving Helldivers were originally built by Canadian Car and Foundry? It would be interesting to know as I work basically across the street from the old Can Car plant.

-Tim

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Tiger Tim wrote:Would anyone know what proportion of surviving Helldivers were originally built by Canadian Car and Foundry? It would be interesting to know as I work basically across the street from the old Can Car plant.

-Tim

There are no Canadian-built Helldivers currently in preservation sadly.

Cheers,
Richard

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Does anyone have pictures of Robs Lamplough's ex-Greek AF cockpit section that was stored at North Weald for many years?

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Mike wrote:Does anyone have pictures of Robs Lamplough's ex-Greek AF cockpit section that was stored at North Weald for many years?

YES :wink:
Post a reply