Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
The World’s Only Flyable Lockheed EC-121 Super Constellation "Connie” Flies Home to Yanks Air Museum
Super Constellation “Connie” (EC-121T Warning Star) historic flight to Yanks Air Museum Chino, CA on Saturday January 14, 2012. This will bring to a close a seven year project to get this goliath aircraft back in the air. This is the chance of a lifetime to see the only flyable EC-121 in the world.
ShareThis Email PDF Print . .World's Only Flyable EC-121T
Chino, CA (PRWEB) January 10, 2012

A Cold War hero will take to the skies once again as the world’s only flyable Lockheed EC-121 Super Constellation "Connie” flies home to Yanks Air Museum for permanent display on Saturday, January 14, 2012.

This historic flight will bring to a close a seven-year project to get this amazing goliath aircraft back into the air. The "Connie" will take off from Camarillo Airport Saturday morning and will fly to it's new home in Chino where it will join 170 aircraft already on display at Yanks Air Museum in Chino, California.

Don’t miss this rare opportunity to see this elegant aircraft in flight as she roars overhead and touches down at the Chino Airport in Chino, California at approximately 12:00 noon on Saturday, January 14, 2012. In addition, Yanks Air Museum will be hosting a number of family-friendly activities including aircraft tours, photo ops, the opportunity to meet the crew, and signed free posters (while they last) with purchase. Limited edition signed artwork and a "first-aboard" aircraft VIP tour will also be available. To celebrate this event the museum will be open both Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

This aircraft had Top-Secret capabilities and monitored the skies for hostile aircraft for over 44 years during the height of the Cold War often flying missions 24 hours a day. It served over the Pacific as well as Taiwan, South Korea and Iceland during the Cuban Missile Crisis. You need only to take a look inside to see the massive electronic and technological capabilities of this aircraft.

The civilian version of the "Connie" had an illustrious career with Pan Am and TWA during the elegant era of air travel. In 1944 TWA President Jack Frye and Howard Hughes took Orville Wright up in a "Connie" for his last flight. Designed in part by the legendary Kelly Johnson the "Connie" can be easily recognized by the sleek dolphin shaped fuselage and her triple-tail design. This amazing aircraft’s engines are more powerful than eight diesel locomotives and could power an entire city.

Don’t miss the chance to marvel at this incredible aircraft in flight and the rare opportunity to see inside one of the Cold War’s Top Secret aircraft at Yanks Air Museum - Where the Legends Live On.

Found it here:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9079439.htm

Last edited by Warbirdnerd on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good news for sure! Isn't Evergreen getting ready to fly another Connie from Montana to Oregon. I remember seeing that on Ralph Petersen's site but it seems to have fallen off the radar.

Last edited by Pat Carry on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I still need someone that would be willing to take photos or video for me to use for a new website. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 am 

Unfortunately, once it lands at Yanks, it will likely never fly again. I know they're expensive to fly, but it's still sad that it will just sit after having undergone a beautiful restoration. Still looking forward to seeing it fly in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cindy wrote:
Unfortunately, once it lands at Yanks, it will likely never fly again. I know they're expensive to fly, but it's still sad that it will just sit after having undergone a beautiful restoration. Still looking forward to seeing it fly in.

Very true but if it wasnt flying to Yanks it would most likely face the srappers torch sooner than later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 am 

Pat Carry wrote:
Good news for sure! Isn't Evergreen getting ready to fly another Connie from Montana to Oregon. I remember seeing that on Ralph Petersen's site but it seems to have fallen off the radar.
No news for over a year: http://evergreenmuseum.wordpress.com/20 ... on-update/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Does it really matter? Be it Yanks or Evergreen, they are both going to make one last flight and get parked, never to fly again for the forseeable future, but be "flyable".

(slaps forehead)

Mark H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

P51Mstg wrote:
Does it really matter? Be it Yanks or Evergreen, they are both going to make one last flight and get parked, never to fly again for the forseeable future, but be "flyable".

(slaps forehead)

Mark H

I think it does matter. They will not be scrapped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These museums spent a lot to save these aircraft. My hat is off to them. Getting it running for a ferry flight is one thing, but it could take alot more work to get them into condition to do airshows, and tours. While I love to see warbirds remain flying, I think we need to be happy these are not going to the scrap yard. Static display is not as glamorous as flying, but it still serves a very important role.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I really dont have any beef with a static display aircraft or flying. Both enjoyable. I find these ferry flights interesting, and suprising that they often go unnoticed by the majority of warbird buffs. It's very comforting to know a EC-121 will be flying again in a few days. Not a big chance that it will be flown after that. But it's always possible. Where there is money and a passion there is a will. I am very enthusiastic that some of these birds in static condition will one day take to the air again. :drink3: It's just a matter of time. Many here maybe don't appreciate the aircraft you have seen fly. Being of a younger generation there are many aircraft types that I have not seen fly, nor will ever see. I think there is a growing sense in todays warbirds to try and get some of these types flying that some people have not seen fly yet. I think my last statement is a key element because there are people out there that have not see some types fly and they will be the ones that will put the effort to change that. Maybe there will a EC-121 on the airshow circuit someday? Maybe a C-133, maybe a B-36. No one can ever really know what the future brings. :drink3:

My $.02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm 
P51Mstg wrote:

(slaps forehead)

Mark H

I think it is kind of a shame that most of those beautiful aircraft that are "flyable" and which go to the Yanks Air Miuseum will never fly again. I don't know about Evergreen.

While it is nice that it will not be scrapped and will be preserved, it is a lot of effort to make an aircraft flyable to fly one time. And I do understand the major expense and effort required to keep one of these flyable. I wish I could be there in Chino to see the last flight and I look forward to seeing videos of it.

We have a number of Connies (including EC-121's) and other beautiful vintage aircraft on display indoors and outdoors at museums around the country, but flyable aircraft are rare. It would be outstanding if we could see more of the aircraft that already have multiple examples on static display, kept as flyers for air show display on occasion. And of course I am just speaking as a fan and enthusiast. While I have provided some meager financial support to these flying restoration efforts now and then, I realize it is very difficult to set up and maintain the financial resources to make these efforts happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Never mind, we might get a fleeting glimpse of the rear end of the Lufthansa example as it heads off across the Atlantic to join the other airworthy Connies there!

Realistically, the only chance of an active Connie in the US at the moment seems to be with the St Louis group, if they can ever get their act together and get it back in the air.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 pm 
Mike wrote:
Never mind, we might get a fleeting glimpse of the rear end of the Lufthansa example as it heads off across the Atlantic to join the other airworthy Connies there!

Realistically, the only chance of an active Connie in the US at the moment seems to be with the St Louis group, if they can ever get their act together and get it back in the air.

Right on both counts! At least the one in Kansas City ("St. Louis") has run all 4 engines recently and with LUCK we may see it flying to air shows again within the next couple of years.

Regarding the other one in Maine, I am "cautiously" optimistic that when it is ready (2013 or 2014 possibly?) it may take a short tour in the U.S., maybe go to Oshkosh or something like that before heading back to Germany. We shall see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I will travel much further to see a few warbirds flying than I will to see a few dozen parked in a museum but I understand not everyone feels the same way. I am very, very glad I had the opportunity (several in fact) to see Vern Raburn's spectacular MATS Connie flying before it was retired.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:55 am 
C VEICH wrote:
I will travel much further to see a few warbirds flying than I will to see a few dozen parked in a museum but I understand not everyone feels the same way. I am very, very glad I had the opportunity (several in fact) to see Vern Raburn's spectacular MATS Connie flying before it was retired.

COMPLETELY Agree with you! I was very happy to finally see the MATS Connie fly at the Terre Haute, Indiana air show in 2003 and that was one of the furthest trips I had ever made to an air show up to that point. It was a sad day when it left for South Korea and ended its flying days.

"Keep them Flying!"