Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Weekend Find!!!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:50 pm

I went for a ride this weekend to a Military Vehicle swap meet in PA on sat. In among the piles of OD green truck parts, I stumbled opon this :)

Guess being not far from THE FACTORY that made our beloved airplane, this just might be a common item

Re: Weekend Find!!!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Great Score!!!!!!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 am

Great find, Is this going to start a swap meet search for all those funky looking WW2 era hand tools? :wink:

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 am

I offer you my deepest and most heartfelt congratulations on your wonderful find.

Ummm but for those of us who are not aware of which factory is THE FACTORY, which airplane is the beloved airplane (though I suppose it's the N3N), nor the commonality of such a fabulous item........

Would you mind letting us in on just exactly what it is you found? :)

thanks!
Last edited by Saville on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm

it's obviously a Boeing N3N repellent kit pop1

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Very cool. I have one, and it must be AAF, as it doesn't have any stampings in it.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Tool kit for in the plane? :?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Um...The N3N isn't from Boeing... :lol:

Naval Aircraft Factory...

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Pretty sweet, My 7/8 NAF spark plug now has a home!!! I have only met one person that had worked at the factory. Funny as my uncle had a Beech 18 delivered on the trailer thats made so the center section is not removed (same as Taigh's) and he hired a local guy with a truck that had a boom for hoisting power poles to unload it. Anyways, the owner of the truck told his dad that he was unloading a airplane so his father had to come. After the Beech was back on her gear, we opened the hangar where the OTHER fleet of aircraft are tightly packed and it just so happened that our N was one of them. The father gasped when he had seen our rudder sticking out of the maze and said "Oh my, I have not seen a N3N since I was at the FACTORY!!!!" We chatted for a bit and he was excited to tell about how he would bum a ride now and again from some of the Factory Test pilots.

I cant wait to clean it up a bit and transfer my Wright tooling and Misc stuff over to its new/old home. I might need to shop around for some bell bottom pants and a white sailor hat for this years pre season maintenance :)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Saville wrote:I offer you my deepest and most heartfelt congratulations on your wonderful find.

Ummm but for those of us who are not aware of which factory is THE FACTORY, which airplane is the beloved airplane (though I suppose it's the N3N), nor the commonality of such a fabulous item........

thanks!

Naval Aircraft Factory and yes for the Beautiful N3N......................I believe to be a flightline tool box :)

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:25 am

N3Njeff wrote:
Saville wrote:I offer you my deepest and most heartfelt congratulations on your wonderful find.

thanks!

Naval Aircraft Factory and yes for the Beautiful N3N......................I believe to be a flightline tool box :)

Many thanks!

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 pm

N3Njeff wrote:Image

Pretty sweet, My 7/8 NAF spark plug now has a home!!! I have only met one person that had worked at the factory. Funny as my uncle had a Beech 18 delivered on the trailer thats made so the center section is not removed (same as Taigh's) and he hired a local guy with a truck that had a boom for hoisting power poles to unload it. Anyways, the owner of the truck told his dad that he was unloading a airplane so his father had to come. After the Beech was back on her gear, we opened the hangar where the OTHER fleet of aircraft are tightly packed and it just so happened that our N was one of them. The father gasped when he had seen our rudder sticking out of the maze and said "Oh my, I have not seen a N3N since I was at the FACTORY!!!!" We chatted for a bit and he was excited to tell about how he would bum a ride now and again from some of the Factory Test pilots.

I cant wait to clean it up a bit and transfer my Wright tooling and Misc stuff over to its new/old home. I might need to shop around for some bell bottom pants and a white sailor hat for this years pre season maintenance :)

Dude, that is so cool! How many vintage tools do you have that would be proper for that tool box?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 pm

speaking of N3N stuff i found this picture from a recent visit to The Military Aviation Museum and the Fighter Factory.
N3N by Travisd80elcam, on Flickr
This is the only shot I had of it due to the hanger being packed full of planes the day i took this(never a bad reason to not have room. the landing gear is on display next to the stand that she is resting on.

Travis

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Well I dont have many old tools YET. I have enough radial engine stuff to get by on the Pratt line. I even have a ACTUAL 1830 ring compressor but that will not go in the NAF box. I posted the pics on our N3N net and one of the long time owners was a Navy mechanic in the 50's and had the same style box while working on Privateers. He mentioned that the box was actuall towed on a small cart. I can certinly believe that once this box is loaded, it would rather be towed then carried :D

Thanks for posting Gerry's N!! She is the newest N in the air and Don told me that they put her on the floats for the winter but will go back to wheels once the grass grows again. She sure does look good and she was a great starting point as it was never a duster.
Post a reply