Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Curtiss-Wright XF-87 Turboprop Fighter-Bomber Proposal

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 am

A new article reproducing a Curtiss-Wright proposal for a turboprop fighter-bomber conversion of the XF-87 Blackhawk is now up at RetroMechanix.com:

The proposal includes numerous drawings of various ordnance and gun combinations, along with a recce version. Also included are 3 photos of the original XF-87, one of the most handsome aircraft of its day. The accompanying gallery features 19 images, the majority in high resolution. Would make for an interesting conversion project in scale model form!

-Jared

Re: Curtiss-Wright XF-87 Turboprop Fighter-Bomber Proposal

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:45 am

The BLACKHAWK was the last aircraft produced by Curtiss-Wright. She was a big girl @ 62 ft long and a 60 ft span weighing 49,900lb @ MTOGW. I can't imagine what might have happened if the 4 20MM cannons located in the rotating, fully traversing nose cone had ever been fired with the cannons deflected 90 degrees in flight. but it would have been one for the ages!! 'want to fire again?' "yeah, but let us shove our eyeballs back in their sockets first" pop2 :lol:

I don't think you could convert anything into the XP-87 from a kit, I think there was a vac kit of it years ago
Post a reply