Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:08 am 

We're about a month or so away from the first flight after some major restoration work, and trying to find out some more info on her history.
T6G construction number is 168-176, USAF serial 49-3072. We're pretty sure she came to Europe as part of a U.S Assistance program...and it's likely she was with the Spanish Air Force. We know that in the 60's she was registered N2807G, and when she came to the UK in 1990 was on the UK register as G-BHTH.

Following a landing accident in the 90's we happened upon her and she's looking pretty good now before her debut at the Shoreham Airsho in the UK in September. Her new reg is G-TEXN.

Can anyone help with her history before she became a G model? And what about her military career? Have been trawling the net but have drawn a blank on both of those. Any info or help gratefully appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Funny your name is John because my family is riddeled with bills and johns.

Last edited by Broken-Wrench on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:05 am 

Jon,

I fly and maintain a T-6G-NA that has been in my family for nearly 40 years, it is NAA c/n 168-528 and AF 49-3404, it was rebuilt at Downey, CA just a bit later down the production line than your's. Our mfg date is 6-1-51. On the top of the rollover structure, on the left hand side, is normally located a small data plate with the serial number and total hours of the airplane before conversion to a T-6G, ours was an AT-6C prior to conversion. I hope the one on your aircraft has not been lost or misplaced. I took both the T-6G and AT-6C serial numbers of our aircraft and sent them to the USAF archivist:

Archie DiFante
Archivist, Archives Branch
AFHRA/RSA
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424 USA
(334) 953-2447
Difante Archangelo GS-11 AFHRA
e-mail: archie.difante@maxwell.af.mil

He was able to research each serial and provide the military history. As for the civilian US history, I know you can write to the FAA using the N# and get a CD-ROM copy of the civilian records for about $5 or so. Maybe someone else on the board can provide more information on this procedure. I understand it is only a couple of clicks away for the computer savy. Hope you find the above information of use. Good luck and enjoy your T-6G, they're great airplanes.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:45 pm 

Thanks Carl, I've emailed him and we'll see what turns up...as for the data plate, I'm down route at the moment and so unable to take a look until I get back to the UK tomorrow. Its all pretty fascinating, finding out the scraps of info we have so far...