Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Official Build Thread for B-17E 41-2595 Desert Rat/Tange

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Hello Everyone

wanted to post a link to some photos of the work we did today
working on the FIN, almost done :)
Mike and Chris did more work on the nose.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ariagalact ... 204325912/

and I have listed all the Desert Rat T-Shirts we have left on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/shagrath626/m.h ... 7675.l2562

I will be posting more stuff that I have from Mike and I am also working on future shirt designs.
Thank You and Happy Shopping.

Lucas

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but these photos are very well done. They don't look to me like they are shot willy-nilly. They are sharp and the lighting is great and some what dramatic.

Chappie

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Merry Christmas Everyone
from the Desert Rat Crew

PS: small photo update from yesterday, finishing work on the fin :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ariagalact ... 204325912/

Thank You.

Lucas

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:18 pm

From all of us working on the "Desert Rat/Tangerine " to you and your families

a very Merry Christmas!!!!

and if you dont celebrate I wish you a Happy Tuesday!! or traditional go see a movie and eat Chinese Food day in December ;)

We'd also like to thank you for your support this year. It has been a huge year for us and we're all looking forward to what is shaping up to
be an amazing 2013!

stay tuned or stop on by!!!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:39 am

Wow, it's really starting to look like an airplane again...!!!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:22 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

from all of us working on the Desert Rat.

Here's to a prosperous and great 2013!!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

It is exciting watching the progress. Will it need to be moved into a different hanger once the wings are ready to attach to the fuselage? I know that is some time off just curious about the long term plan once its ready for feathers.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 pm

My understanding from talking to Mike a couple years ago was that they when she was ready to be assembled she would be moved to a different location.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 am

Hi everyone,

To answer a few of the questions posted here as of late. Yes it is quite cold but we have a couple rooms with heaters in them that we go into when we need to
warm up and the desire to get her in the air tends to keep us working. Also we bundle up as much a physically possible while working. It's the reverse in the summer and sometimes it's actually worse to work then, than during the winter.

As for moving the "Rat" once the major assemblies are done she will be moved to a true airport for finally assembly. The plan is to do as much as possible at the shop then truck the components to an airport with a facility large enough to hangar her.

That is still a few years off (within 5 if all goes well)

Sincerely,

James

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 pm

I appologize ahead of time if we cant post things like this here and I will remove it immedieatly
if thats the case

I just wanted to let everyone know here that we now have a sponser!

part of the proceeds from what is sold from this website goes to us!

its www.ItsYourAirplane.com

I believe they will have Desert Rat/Tangerine related merchandice besides the other aviation related material

Thanks,

James

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 am

I see from TriangleP's posting that new photos of the project have been posted on Facebook. Would it be possible to post the photos on this forum for those of us who do not have Facebook accounts. I've tried to view the photos on Facebook, but they want you to sign in, i.e., have an account, which I'm not interested in having.

Thanks,
Bill K

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 am

Bill: It's a open account so you shouldn't have to log in to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/12595DesertRat

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Bill,

let us know if the facebook link doesn't work. I post photos here when I get out to the aircraft but due to my work schedule it hasnt been a regular occurance as of late. The photos on the facebook page have been mostly from another of our regular volunteers so I wouldn't feel right posting them here unless he gives permission.

James

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Slightly off topic, but what is that single engined Navy airplane at the end of the thread of photos, and what are the plans for it? Sure looks like a Lake Michigan airplane...
Last edited by tulsaboy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 am

tulsaboy wrote:Slightly off topic, but what is that single engined Navy airplane at the end of the thread of photos, and what are the plans for it? Sure looks like a Lake Michigan Wildcat...

As one of the picture shows A Gruman Duck and 2 Mustang, I suppose it's Chuck Greenhill hangar, as he founded the Lake Michigan recoveries, I suppose the last hellcat airframe recovered is stored in his facility.
Post a reply