Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1575
Location: Northwest Ohio
gary1954 wrote:
I realize that this is covering B-17s that are down in Florida, but I have often wondered if the USAAC ever pulled the remains of 40-2231 a B-25B out of Lake Apopka near Oakland, Florida after it crashed there on 18 January 1942. Killed four on board; but I wonder if all of the ship was recovered. I know that the lake was heavily contaminated at one time from pesticide run-off. What would that do to the remains if in fact still there?

And then there is 40-2298 B-25B (47th BG, 95th BS, "Green Hornet") a Tokyo Raider that ran out of fuel and ditched in Poyang Lake near Nanchang Apr 18, 1942. I wonder if anyone ever looked for this iconic piece of World War Two hardware.

I'm pop2 just sayin'



From what I have read and heard, there are still quite a few aircraft in Lake Apopka waiting to be salvaged. Who wants to go with me and get one?

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 am 
Offline
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 1:16 am
Posts: 10365
gary1954 wrote:
And then there is 40-2298 B-25B (47th BG, 95th BS, "Green Hornet") a Tokyo Raider that ran out of fuel and ditched in Poyang Lake near Nanchang Apr 18, 1942. I wonder if anyone ever looked for this iconic piece of World War Two hardware.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poyang_Lake

Not very deep, being drained (and shrinking in size dramatically) and dredged often. Doesn't sound promising, but it may be significantly deeper in the middle. The Wiki says that a Japanese troop ship was lost with 200 sailors and has never been found (or maybe not looked for).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Posts: 70
One of the Sebring B-17 wrecks was west of the field, where the sod farm is now and all that remained were the landing gear and engines. They were removed about ten years ago. Another B-17 came apart in the air near Lake Arbuckle and large pieces remained in the pasture were they landed until removed and scrapped. From talking to locals, most of the wrecks are on government property (Avon Park bombing range). Lake Apopka would probably have some Wildcats from NAS Sanford since it is right off the runway.
The old NTC in Orlando is now a residential community Baldwin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 am 
Offline
Group Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 am
Posts: 536
Location: Tampa, Florida
cptsmith wrote:
One of the Sebring B-17 wrecks was west of the field, where the sod farm is now and all that remained were the landing gear and engines. They were removed about ten years ago. Another B-17 came apart in the air near Lake Arbuckle and large pieces remained in the pasture were they landed until removed and scrapped. From talking to locals, most of the wrecks are on government property (Avon Park bombing range). Lake Apopka would probably have some Wildcats from NAS Sanford since it is right off the runway.
The old NTC in Orlando is now a residential community Baldwin.


From what the S.I.R. track manager told me, around 11 B-17's or B-17 parts were dumped in that feild, but were pulled out a short time later due to the sod farm.

The 2 B-17's still buried at the airport are, like I said, still there. Along with a Ford GT40 for any car buff's here.

Right now i'm working on a list of other aircraft crashes all over Florida from different types of aircraft, and they might still be where they crashed... Btw, cooper, there are alot of P-40's on the list :wink:

_________________
My racing will fund my warbirding. Hopefully...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChristopherDeshongRacing
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisDRacing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:46 am 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:50 pm
Posts: 968
Quote:
Lake Apopka would probably have some Wildcats from NAS Sanford since it is right off the runway.


Lake Apopka is not adjacent to the old Sanford NAS and there are no aircraft in the lake as far as I know. Perhaps you are thinking of Lake Monroe that the St. Johns flows through. The problem with aircraft in fresh water lakes in FL is the high concentration tanic acid which destroys aluminum like salt water.

Lake Apopka was drained several years ago as part of a restoration effort. There must be at least 100 P-40 crash sights in Florida scattered thoughout the state so I'm not saying there are no wrecks, just be prepared to beat some bushes.

_________________
Always looking for WW2 Half-Tracks and Parts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1575
Location: Northwest Ohio
There are naval aircraft in Lake Monroe, Wildcats I believe! :shock:

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Posts: 70
You're right, Lake Momroe. I have seen a few pics of FM-2's that went in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:49 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Graniteville SC formerly Ware Shoals SC
cptsmith wrote:
You're right, Lake Momroe. I have seen a few pics of FM-2's that went in.


care to share? please? :drink3:

_________________
You can't see me!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 am
Posts: 2464
Location: Ellerslie Georgia, USA
Garth wrote:
gary1954 wrote:

And then there is 40-2298 B-25B (47th BG, 95th BS, "Green Hornet") a Tokyo Raider that ran out of fuel and ditched in Poyang Lake near Nanchang Apr 18, 1942. I wonder if anyone ever looked for this iconic piece of World War Two hardware.

I'm pop2 just sayin'


I thought that with the possible exception of Ski York's Mitchell (the one that diverted to a safe landing, and internment, in Siberia - where it apparently met its end in the early 50s) all the angles on the rest of the Doolittle B-25s had been exhausted.



well pop2 apparently not :axe:

_________________
Kind Regards,
Gary Lewis
J.A.F.O.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:15 pm 
Offline
Group Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 am
Posts: 536
Location: Tampa, Florida
"Numerous aircraft mishaps occurred during the World War II years, but detailed data is not readily available. In late 1970, wreckage of an FM-1 Wildcat was located by hunters near the south shore of nearby Lake Jessup. Subsequent contact with and investigation by USN authorities indicated that the pilot had safely bailed out of the aircraft during this circa 1944 mishap."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAS_Sanfor ... _accidents

Serial # should be 38-498, listed as a YFM-1A

_________________
My racing will fund my warbirding. Hopefully...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChristopherDeshongRacing
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisDRacing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1575
Location: Northwest Ohio
Wildchild wrote:
"Numerous aircraft mishaps occurred during the World War II years, but detailed data is not readily available. In late 1970, wreckage of an FM-1 Wildcat was located by hunters near the south shore of nearby Lake Jessup. Subsequent contact with and investigation by USN authorities indicated that the pilot had safely bailed out of the aircraft during this circa 1944 mishap."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAS_Sanfor ... _accidents

Serial # should be 38-498, listed as a YFM-1A


You are correct, data is not readily available for naval aircraft but plentiful for AAF aircraft. :?

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1575
Location: Northwest Ohio
wingman1 wrote:
cptsmith wrote:
You're right, Lake Momroe. I have seen a few pics of FM-2's that went in.


care to share? please? :drink3:


Plenty of pictures in a book titled: United States Naval Fighters of World War 2 by Michael O. Leary
Shows pictures of aircraft that went down in and around the Orlando/Sanford/Lake Monroe area primarily Wildcats.
If I ever figure out how to upload pictures here I'd be happy to post some! :?

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 pm 
Offline
Group Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 am
Posts: 536
Location: Tampa, Florida
If you have a Facebook, take a picture of the picture on your phone. Then post it to Facebook, then get on your computer and copy them to a file inside you PC. Then from there upload them to a image sharing website.

:drink3:

_________________
My racing will fund my warbirding. Hopefully...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChristopherDeshongRacing
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisDRacing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1575
Location: Northwest Ohio
I thought that there was a way to upload photos right here on WIX or am I mistaken? :shock:

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm 
Offline
Group Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 am
Posts: 536
Location: Tampa, Florida
I don't believe so, but I might be wrong.

_________________
My racing will fund my warbirding. Hopefully...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChristopherDeshongRacing
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisDRacing


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Col. Rohr, ffuries, PeteM and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group