Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:52 am 

flightsimer wrote:
The last date of detailed history we have of her flying a mission was May 28th, 1945 when she evacuated POWs from her base in Franace back to England. This flight could have also been the first leg of her journey back stateside.

So the mission symbols painted on her willbe for everything up through May 28th.

Excellent. I love restorations that are true to the airframe.

Chappie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 am 

Below is a late-war photo of 43-48910 (off the line within 200 numbers of your bird) which was the personal mount for Col. McNees of the 435th. The mysterious CK nose code is visible here.

Note the very distinct shaping of the letter C...flat bottom and rounded corners---NOT CUT CORNERS!!! (Patrick and I would both recommend that you DO NOT use the current CK paint job at the Pratt Museum as reference...it is historically inaccurate.) Your graphic posted above has the K correct.

Also notice that the underside gray is wavy pattern rather than the early straight edge you used above...

Further the habit in the group here is to carry the last 3 of the s/n on the nose.

Based on the presumed shading of the hat as yellowish-brass I would invite discussion on the shade of the letters....pale blue or light gray or yellow.

910 came back to the ZI after the war and was attached to Troop Carrier Command. There is a photo of her in flight in post-war livery. Alot of overpainting--NOT a new factory paint job.

910 hit a mountain in Saluda, NC 2FEB48.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been following this thread with great interest as we have two members who have a wealth of knowledge on ETO C-47's and are willing to share that knowledge here. Great stuff and much appreciated. Your C-47 project will benefit greatly by the contributions of these two fellows. Bravo!!! and best of luck with your project. look forward to the results.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm surprised (sort of) that no one has picked out C-47B-1-DL 4316389, l/n 20855 'STUKA CHASER' as a scheme. Chalk CK tail G of the 75th TCS, 435th T.C., 53rd T.C. wing.

These guys at the very end of the European war, on a sort of whim, developed a technique of pulling up alongside slower Luftwaffe liason aircraft and sticking .45's and Thompsons out the door and windows and forcing the enemy aircaft to land. The airplane proudly carried 6 white swastikas on it's nose as well as it's name.
The story would make a better airshow rampside story than '....then they hauled 62,000 'C'rations to outer Fuggawi...' :lol: Their actions got the crew an article in Stars and Stripes.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 am 

flightsimer wrote:
I'm still not convinced about her Ever wearing any form of invasion stripes due to the fact that I believe the order to have them completely removed was given before she even was delivered to Europe, but I will do some checking on that. I can ask Mr. Frome also in my next letter as well.
Tyler

SUSPENSION OF OPERATION MEMORANDUM NUMBER 23, 6th December, 1944
DISTINCTIVE MARKINGS - AIRCRAFT
1. The provisions of Supreme Headquarters, AEF, Operation Memorandum No.23, Distinctive Markings - Aircraft, are suspended effective December 31st, 1944.
2. Except as noted in sub-paragraph 44. below, distinctive markings will be removed where this can be done without damage to the aircraft and with due regard to the materials and time available for this work.
3. Addressees will ensure complete dissemination of the pertinent provisions of this suspension by the quickest possible means consistent with security.
4. All Commanders will particularly ensure that personnel under their command are instructed that:
a. The fact that an aircraft of allied manufacture is seen without distinctive markings does NOT necessarily indicate that the aircraft is hostile.
b. For some time Allied aircraft may still be seen carrying distinctive markings, which, with the exception of those in sub-paragraph 4 below, should now be disregarded.
c. Faded striping under certain conditions of light closely resembles the German cross.
d. For the purposes of facilitating identification by other friendly aircraft all of the photo reconnaissance aircraft of Number 34 Wing, Second Tactical Air Force will be painted with standard invasion markings until such time as all recipients of this instruction are notified by Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Second Tactical Air Force.
5. The removal of these distinctive markings in no way affects the presently prescribed national markings, which will continue to be carried on aircraft.
6.In future, should there be a requirement for distinctive markings, application will be made to this Headquarters.

By Command of General EISENHOWER.

For info, Memorandum 23 was issued on 18 April 1944 : "to prescribe the distinctive markings which will be applied to US and BRITISH aircraft in order to make them more easily identified as friendly by ground and naval forces and by other friendly aircraft."

One thing in this memorandum is funny : In Paragraph 2.b the memorandum read:
b. These instructions will not apply to the following classes of aircraft:(l) Four engine bombers. (2) Air transports. (3) Gliders. (4) Night fighters. (5) Seaplanes.

Your plane was with under surface markings between her delivery until the end of December 1944 (this is my thought)

https://www.facebook.com/snafuspecial

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm 

For what it's worth, the FS numbers for the paint you need are these:

Olive Drab FS 34087
Neutral Gray FS 36270
Interior Green FS 34151
Insignia Gray FS 36307
Insignia Yellow FS 33538
Insignia Blue FS 15042

Aircraft insulation should match:
Dull Dark Green FS FS 34092

Apparently, Douglas-built C-47s commonly left much of the floor unpainted (with anti-skid matts) and often painted much of the cockpit flat black. There is no definite consensus on C-47s interiors because they were in service for so long, but from my research, this should be about right for yours. Just take these numbers to whoever mixes your paint; if they are familiar with Federal Standard colors, the FS-numbers should tell how to mix them.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:18 pm 

Well long story short, I just got a new iPhone 5 about an hour ago as my iPhone 4 was dropping calls left and right... As they activated my phone, I got 6 new voicemails. One of them was from Yesterday and was from Barbara Blosser, Edwards' daughter.

In the voicemail, she said her and her dad had talked it over and wanted to help and that she had taken notes that would help us. Due to the excitement, I just had to call her tonight and I just got off the phone with her from a brief conversation.

However, in the short 5 minutes we talked, I got my missing link for our plane. She (the plane) DID have a name and she did have noseart!!! She said Edward would be looking for some pictures of the plane and noseart as he couldnt remember it. However, even if it turns out it didn't have noseart, it at least had a name.

I am now proud to Introduce to all of you:

C47B #43-48716
"The Luck Of The Irish"

She said it was named this due to having two Irish Crew members.

She also said that this Sunday is Edwards 96th Birthday!

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DING-DING-DING-DING :supz: :supz: That's double cool!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:00 am 

Out-FREEKING-standing!!!!!!

Okay....now that you have had your moment of zen, it's time to get back to work. You have to ask WHO named the plane....a crew chief or a previous IRISH pilot? If Capt. Frome can't find a pic you may have to track the art through additional sources.

Post whatever clues you learn...none of which are insignificant...and know there are a few hundred enthusiasts pulling for you on this one!

Edit: Well...if she was a P-47 instead of C-47 we'd be done....scroll down on this link...a little inspiration!

http://www.crazyhorseap.be/Mustangs/Ace ... arker1.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:39 am 

Today is Captain Frome's 96th Birthday!

Happy Birthday Elmo.

I sincerely hope we can get him reunited with his plane at least one more time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:39 am 

The others being :
first Row (L-R) : O'Connor - Harris
second Row (L-R) : Brady - Frome - Bussman

Happy Birthday Sir!

https://www.facebook.com/snafuspecial

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:52 am 

Awesome news. How far away is Frome from the plane? If he's close get him together before she finished if you have to!

Luck of the Irish- very cool.

Chappie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:59 am 

Patrick--

We've done it before.....let's find O'CONNOR......and Brady, Harris and Bussman....

Any ASN's from Squadron records?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am 

Chappie wrote:
Awesome news. How far away is Frome from the plane? If he's close get him together before she finished if you have to!

Luck of the Irish- very cool.

Chappie

Unfortunately, he is in phoenix and we are in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am 

Sounds like you guys need to plan a long crosscountry :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next