Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I happened to see a Cessna 0-2 with civilian marking fly over today and man I thought it was cool. It was coming out of Barnes airport located in Westfield, ma. Is it based there? Any details?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know back in the 70's the guys who drove the plain Jane PLYMOUTH sedans and had really long, flat, skinny suitcases to go with their Robert Hall suits used 0-2's in civilian markings and would file flight plans from 'here to back here'. Sooooo.......................... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Inspector wrote:
I know back in the 70's the guys who drove the plain Jane PLYMOUTH sedans and had really long, flat, skinny suitcases to go with their Robert Hall suits used 0-2's in civilian markings and would file flight plans from 'here to back here'. Sooooo.......................... :roll:

Thanks pappy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:09 am 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Over the years I seen quite a few civilian 337s masquerading as O-2B in military makings; however, have only once seen a military O-2A in civilian paint scheme. It had been purchased by a local law enforcement agency and was heavily civilianized along with the paint.

Quick study of FAA database shows 13 civilian 337s registered in MA and only one 0-2A. The O-2A being registered to East Coast Aero Technical School in Lexington; however, the registration expired (IIRC) in 2011 so probably is not flying.....well, not legally.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

LadyO2Pilot wrote:
Over the years I seen quite a few civilian 337s masquerading as O-2B in military makings; however, have only once seen a military O-2A in civilian paint scheme. It had been purchased by a local law enforcement agency and was heavily civilianized along with the paint.

Quick study of FAA database shows 13 civilian 337s registered in MA and only one 0-2A. The O-2A being registered to East Coast Aero Technical School in Lexington; however, the registration expired (IIRC) in 2011 so probably is not flying.....well, not legally.

Ok thanks for the info. It was nice to see it flying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:27 am 

Didn't necessarily have to have been registered in MA. Could have been just passing through.

Doesn't Airscan Inc. in the Melbourne/Cocoa Beach area of FL operate a lot of heavily modified 337's and possibly also O-2's? I've seen their aircraft on Airliners.net photographed all over the world, but especially aroun Europe; maybe it was coming from or going to somewhere over there.

Natasha: "You got plan, darling?"
Boris: "I always got plan. They don't ever work, but I always got one!"

Remember, any dummy can be a dumb-ass...
In order to be a smart-ass, you first have to be "smart"
and to be a wise-ass, you actually have to be "wise"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The other week on the Other (UK based) forum, someone posted photos of a USAF marked restored O-2 now flying in the Netherlands.

Some know it all said that the type is known for rear engine fires.
Someone else joined into agree and said that most civilian operators have removed the rear engine. Whattheheck????
Where do people come up with these stupid ideas? I don't know if it's just ignorance of general aviation aircraft or some anti-US aircraft bias.
I replied that the FAA would take a dim view of operating an aircraft with one engine...and would step in if there was an engine fire problem that severe and in any event, I can't believe any operator would fly or take off an 337/O-2 with one engine.

It was probably the stupidest thing I've read on an aviation forum.
Beware of internet experts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm 

Of course there is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rlGaTESG1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdrgG7O7j5c
http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm?fu ... ry&id=5227

It's called a Pelican. They removed the front engine.

=Bob=

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 pm 

Quote:
I can't believe any operator would fly or take off an 337/O-2 with one engine.

Saw a guy do exactly that, at MGC, in New York. I was on downwind when he took off--can't remember if it was the front or rear engine that was shut down, and it wasn't because he'd forgotten to start it. He couldn't get it started, so he decided to fly back to his home base and have his mech work on it.

He died (pilot, not mechanic...).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Booshka wrote:
Of course there is this...

It's called a Pelican. They removed the front engine.

=Bob=

I'd suggest there is a huge difference between the USNTPS operating a SE O-2 and the poster's statement that many civil 337s were flying with the rear engine removed.

And don't forget that there was a SE turbine version....with an Allison 250-317 (i.e. JetRanger, and Hughes 500 engine) in the rear.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's a PMaster pressurized 337P sporting a full ROBERTSON STOL kit (did a few of those @ R/STOL MSD in Gnaw Lunz). I think the original objective was some sort of test pilot primary trainer with some tie in to FSI @ Mojave. I know at least one is or was (or offered as) a bush plane used to haul long cargo around via a swing away nose and strechers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I know Harland Avazzie keeps his pt-23 at Barnes, he may know who it was

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

LadyO2Pilot wrote:

When I went to ECAT, I was the only pilot in the class and it became my "job" to give taxi lessons in the O-2 to the future A&P’s; fun times.
I should have bought the 0-2 from the school. :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am 

We are restoring an O-2A here at the Travis AFB Museum. We are in need of photos of the installed rear engine compartment to be able to accurately restore the plane. Can anyone help us? Photos from a 337 will not work. We need to know the correct routing of baffles, and cables in the rear engine compartment.
DaveT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Dave T - please check your PMs. :)