Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Fighter Factory
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ouch!

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... n-for-Sale

Post subject: Re: Fighter Factory
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

pop2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:46 am 
PeterA wrote:

Heard something along these lines yesterday. Surprised that it took this long to show up on WIX. This is pretty big news in the warbird world. I hope all the airplanes end up in good homes and are not spread around too thinly.

Glad I was able to see the Mosquito, Me-262, Fw-190, Skyraider, Spitfire and Hurricane at fly at Hamilton last weekend.

Pretty unbelievable.

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are folks here that have known this news for a couple of weeks, B-17 and 190 apparently heading to OR. That's what I have been told anyway so you never know for sure until it's concrete. Many of the major players in the warbird collecting business have either paid a visit or are going to pay a visit. Nothing etched in stone until it's etched in stone as to what has been sold or will be sold to whom. Maybe a couple of the 'in the know' members will add more relevant news to this story when and if they wish. But I'm sure whatever happens to the Yegan collection will end up being positive. Not that it was not positive before. People change their minds about things, it happens everyday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

WHAT?! Holy cow!

Glad I got to go to Warbirds Over the Beach this year to see the collection in one place at least. Wonder if the new buyers will be honoring the airshow commitment made for the Mossie this year...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
Mark Allen M wrote:
There are folks here that have known this news for a couple of weeks, B-17 and 190 apparently heading to OR.

Yeah, I imagine Jerry Yagen, Rod Lewis and more than a "few" others have known about this for a while.......

Hopefully it will all work out for the best when all is said and done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I wonder what will happen to the museum buildings? All those hangars and storage buildings... wow. This is pretty unbelievable. With the rate at which that musuem was growing, this is such a shock.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:36 pm 

jwc50 wrote:
Yeah, I imagine Jerry Yagen, Rod Lewis and more than a "few" others have known about this for a while.......

You do realize thta Jerry Yagen is the one that owns all this stuff now don't you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 pm 
bombadier29 wrote:
jwc50 wrote:

You do realize thta Jerry Yagen is the one that owns all this stuff now don't you?

:wink:

Yeah, just a possibility that I may have been aware of that............

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:52 pm 

I´ll just keep my fingers crossed that the airworthy planes will be kept airworthy and be flown. :supz: It would be a shame if they would end inside a dark hangar as hangar queens. But I hope for the best for sure. Might the new owner(s) have luck and fun with their new purchase.
:drink3:
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow. I'm glad I visited when I did. This is truly astounding. It sure seemed like the MAM was the textbook example on how to run a flying museum. It's a tremendous blow for the Warbird movement on the East Coast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the museum buildings? All those hangars and storage buildings... wow. This is pretty unbelievable. With the rate at which that musuem was growing, this is such a shock.

Probably demo'd and the land sold off for condos or mcmansions I guess. :(

Us East Coasters have lost a wonderful collection which was generously shared by it's benefactor, a real warbird enthusiast, by attending numerous airshows from Geneseo to Florida. This is sad news. Yes I am concerned that many of these aircraft will in fact end up as trophy pieces at some remote ranch/hangar never to be seen again by the public, readily available as they have been.

I think I will send a check for membership in the CAF. It seems everyone likes to complain about something they do, but if it wasn't for organizations like them or YAF and AAM, then we wouldn't see any warbirds at our east coast shows. I wish the AAM at Republic on LI would pick up the Wildcat but I don't think they're looking to expand the collection anymore and are concentrating on getting the PBY back in the air. Chris Baranaskas has sold off his collection and WOLI is no more. The newly re-cristened National Warplane Museum in Geneseo could surely use something, like a B-17, but I'm sure they can't afford it anymore at today's prices. It's hard to believe when they acquired Fuddy Duddy in 1986 from auction it was probably going for 300K if that. We lost it to the West coast where it hardly flies and now it sounds like Chuckie is heading out that way too. Tom Duffy has a nice collection but I'm not sure if he has been flying them much. Did he have anything at Reading this year? Unfortunately he is not on the roster for Geneseo this year so far.

Thank you Mr. Yagen for sharing the collection with us in the past and good luck with your future endeavors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:16 pm 

Well, the Mosquito and 262 are no longer on the flight schedule on MAM's website as attending Thunder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:30 pm 

It was known among a select few since the end of May. Jerry accomplished great things that enabled many people to rejoice and enjoy his collection.
I spent 11 years flying several of his airplanes and its been an important part of my life. I am honored and humbled, to have been a part of this group of individuals who toiled with their knowledge and expertise to bring Jerry's dream to its fruition.

The history will continue as these airplanes find new homes. I expect some exciting things to happen.
I'm sure you will enjoy watching it unfold. Those interested owe Jerry Yagen a large debt of gratitude for his gift of preserving this history.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Where is Lewis's collection based? His website doesn't say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next