Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Official B-29 Doc Restoration Thread

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am

Ok, not officially official, but I'll give you all updates all here.

Previous thread here: viewtopic.php?p=499231

This Saturday the LH wing is set to go on, followed within a few weeks most likely by the right. We'd been held up by a supplier waiting to get some bolts in. First time in many years that the wings will be hung. The right wing is a little behind due to a spar chord needing replaced, and the new one not fitting completely driving some rework.

Also, as you all saw, the first engine came in about 3 weeks ago. Word is the second will be here shortly.

A lot of work has been going on though in the mean time while waiting on the wings. The control cables are all being replaced, and after the wings are on the control surfaces will follow and the airframe will be mostly complete. The nacelle work to mount the engines hasn't been started yet.

Progress should continue to speed up. One guy, TJ, is retiring from Boeing soon and will become the full time project manager to help better coordinate our efforts.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I'll get it for you!

Re: Official B-29 Doc Restoration Thread

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for the update.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 am

How's the radio operator's station looking? Are you missing any radio equipment that the WIX community could be on the lookout for? Are you planning to restore the radio gear to working condition, like CAF did with FIFI?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:13 am

The radio operator's station is currently pretty empty. I don't know the plans for it off hand, but will ask. Doc was recovered sans most original military equipment, as most of his years were spent as part of a radar calibration group (along with Snow White, the Wicked Witch, and the other 6 dwarves). I've heard that the plan is to get the plane flying, then in the winter down seasons work to install turrets and other original equipment.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm

The New England Air Museum has a TON of B-29 parts including radio gear they are looking to sell. Might be worth a gander.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Best wishes to you folks on getting Doc in the air again.
Last edited by Old SAR pilot on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Great stuff. Glad to see she will be NMF and not painted. Where are you getting the turrets...?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:06 am

Awesome news. Another flying B-29!! Can't get much better than that!

Chappie

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Quick update- After pushing ahead and getting some parts done just in time, BOTH wings will be going on Saturday. I'll be there with a camera and will post up.

To answer a few questions:

Regarding the fuel cells- new ones have been made and tested already so we shouldn't have any issues.

I asked about the radio station today but didn't get a clear answer. Originally the plan was to work with a local radio club and get some working, though non-original/authentic, radios installed. Don't know if that's still the case or not, I'll try to get you a better answer.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:57 pm

I see you have various merchandise for sale based on some of the facebook photos I saw. Any plans to make an online store or is it possible to see a photo and price list of what's available? Thanks much!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:00 pm

spookythecat wrote:I see you have various merchandise for sale based on some of the facebook photos I saw. Any plans to make an online store or is it possible to see a photo and price list of what's available? Thanks much!

Ditto

My MAAM P-61 coffee cup is lonely and I need another T-shirt to wear :D

Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Wings are on! More coming later.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

ryguy135 wrote:Wings are on! More coming later.

Excellent! Photos please.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:04 pm

ryguy135 wrote:Wings are on! More coming later.

please show us pics

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Can we make this a permanent thread please...!!!
Post a reply