Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Official B-29 Doc Restoration Thread

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Just wondering - did anyone do a time-lapse video of the restoration, or parts of the work, showing a condensed version of the process?
Also interested if anyone has professional surround sound audio (video OK too) productions of engine startups, takeoffs and flyovers available?

Thanks!
MRK

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:00 pm

menards wrote:There are a few sources that stated a stripped down B29 void of turrets, guns, ammo, armor plate, etc etc etc and flying lite could out climb and effectively out run a Zero. If this was true at the time...then why have them?

I don't think a B-29's engines would survive for long if they had to be operated at full power for the duration of the airplane's time over Japan.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

DOC's Arrival at Oshkosh 2018
https://youtu.be/2K_RSyKJP_Y

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 pm

got to see Doc fly at the Sheppard AFB air show today, what a thrill!!!! they did a GREAT flying demo.

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Was great getting to meet the Doc crew in person yesterday. I've met Don in the past, but the rest of the crew it was the first time and see the plane in person. The work is just immaculate. Having been in Fifi on several occasions, you do notice the differences in the way the final product looks (mainly instrumentation), but just the thoroughness of the restoration is absolutely impressive. When they talked during the restoration about the plane looking brand new, they weren't kidding. Even several years on, and it still looks like the plane just came out of the factory.

Kudos to everyone for keeping her going. Now if we can just get the airshow organizers to not double-book airshows on the same weekend like they have this year...

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:20 am

If you watch the right main gear, it retracts forward towards the nose of the aircraft. The nose wheel retracts aft towards the tail in a B-29. So if the gear with the damper in the video was a main gear it would retract forward, not aft as it does.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Doc is scheduled to arrive at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo on July 22 and stay till the 25th for rides and tours. All weather and mechanical permissible. Making plans but like all plans I made this year something always comes up. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:46 pm

Me and a couple of my buddies are scheduled to fly in DOC on Sunday 7-25-21 at 11:00A.M. Will be hoping for the weather to be great, and no mechanical gremlins.
Post a reply