Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:04 pm 

Yep have three now, so hoping this fourth one is not going to be hiding too long. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Time for a 'MAD update Tiger moth fans :D
We have been putting a few hours on the ol' girl. She's running great!
We decided to go to the Tiger boys fly in at Guelph airpark. Saturday was a washout. It rained all day. Sunday things were still pretty soggy, but after walking the strip and making a couple of phone calls we decided we should go for it.

We could see for close to ten miles and knew we would get out from under this crap in short order. It worked out fine.

We arrived at Guelph and lucky for us our friend Larry was there to take our picture :D . All the rest of these shots are from Larry. Thanks Larry!

Great shot Larry!

Me and Larry. Thanks man!

We had a great time and lots of folks made some real nice comments about our Tiger. For the last couple of days I've told friends that We left feeling like we were "the prettiest girl at the dance" :lol:

Shortly after we took off we were bounced by none other than Cam (Fleet 16B) in his Finch :supz: . We formed up on him and were then joined by Dave Hadfield in his Fairchild. Sorry I couldn't get any pics. Once you're strapped in to the Tiger with a ton of clothes to keep warm at 10 degrees C, digging for a camera just ain't gonna happen.
It was a great debut for our "prettiest girl at the dance" (Aw shucks) :lol:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:57 pm 

Great photos! Nice to see all the hard work paying off!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi Andy,

I was busy flying the Fairchild, and Robin was seated on the other side of the airplane, so we didn't get good images of you and Dan in the air. But here are a couple as momentos...

This is as we approached to form up.

Here we are a little closer, with Robin trying to get a clear shot,

And from earlier in the day, Finch CF-GER banking away to join the downwind leg,

It was a great day despite the overcast, and you must be very proud of what you've done -- to actually finish the re-build and take her to an air event. Rightly and Righteously so!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey that's so cool Dave!
Thanks to you and Robin for putting up those shots. It was a lot of fun! Great to see you folks there.

Every time we fly together, Danny and I are still pinching ourselves. Is this for real?
We've been getting such a great reception everywhere. We're like proud papas :lol:

Cheers :drink3:

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 pm 

Just saw on Facebook you guys made it south of the border into New York!

Congrats! :drink3:

(hope I didn't ruin any surprise! :axe: )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:38 pm 

Thanks for flying in, Andy and Danny! Marilyn was very pleased. Great to see you guys as well! The Moth is a beaut, the little brother is a huge fan...

8)

Volunteer - National Warplane Museum
Commercial & "Warbug" (Aspiring Warbird) Pilot
Project Lead - LG44 ('Lucy Gal' / 'Yellow 44')

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Austin,
What a rush! Just got home.

A little background here,
I've been going to Geneseo since the mid 1980's.
I was fortunate enough to meet up with a wonderful friend there. Her name is Marilyn. She is the coolest, classiest lady anyone will ever have the pleasure to meet. I've known her for more than half of my life.
During the rebuild of our Tiger, Danny came up with the idea to name her after our friend Marilyn. I immediately agreed that this would be a great idea and sentiment. The Tiger wasn't ready for airshow time in July, so after about 25 hours of flawless shakedown flying we saw the weather forecast for this week and HAD to go for it.

Marilyn had no idea that we were naming the aeroplane after her. We wanted her to find out when we showed up with her name on the side.

Thanks to the help of my spy at Geneseo (I won't mention any names, but his initials are Austin Hancock :lol: ) the plan worked beautifully.

We added her name to the side of the Tiger

It was worth all of the effort. To get the waiver for not having a transponder and having special consideration for U.S customs to meet us at Geneseo, because we have to land on grass. (Huge shout out to U.S. customs :supz: . Amazing!)

Since the get go I've visualized our Tiger on the grass at Geneseo. She looked beautiful!

My friend Marilyn was moved to tears :wink: mission accomplished.

She had to go for a flight!

We spent the evening at Geneseo and had a fantastic flight home. Over 7 hours of flying in two days. She's running like she feels all of the love that's been lavished.
We got home feeling truly blessed.

Thanks again for the espionage Austin. Great to meet your brother. Keep us posted on your flying and we'll see you at airshow 2014!

Andy

Last edited by DH82EH on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 pm 

DH82EH wrote:
Hey Austin,
What a rush! Just got home.

A little background here,
I've been going to Geneseo since the mid 1980's.
I was fortunate enough to meet up with a wonderful friend there. Her name is Marilyn. She is the coolest, classiest lady anyone will ever have the pleasure to meet. I've known her for more than half of my life.
During the rebuild of our Tiger, Danny came up with the idea to name her after our friend Marilyn. I immediately agreed that this would be a great idea and sentiment. The Tiger wasn't ready for airshow time in July, so after about 25 hours of flawless shakedown flying we saw the weather forecast for this week and HAD to go for it.

Marilyn had no idea that we were naming the aeroplane after her. We wanted her to find out when we showed up with her name on the side.

Thanks to the help of my spy at Geneseo (I won't mention any names, but his initials are Austin Hancock :lol: ) the plan worked beautifully.

We spent the evening at Geneseo and had a fantastic flight home. Over 7 hours of flying in two days. She's running like she feels all of the love that's been lavished.
We got home feeling truly blessed.

Thanks again for the espionage Austin. Great to meet your brother. Keep us posted on your flying and we'll see you at airshow 2014!

Andy

AWESOME post, Andy! :supz: Was hoping you'd give a full pirep. 8) It was my pleasure to help, anytime you need a Geneseo favor, I'm your man, haha.

Glad you made it home safe and sound, she is truly a beautiful aircraft, and couldn't be owned by better people (or named after a better one!) :)

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Actually Austin.....
I do have one more favour.
While we were there, Ben Beagle (great reporter name BTW :D ) the editor of the Livingston county news, came down to take some pics and write down Marilyn's story.
If you could snag me a copy or two of the next edition, the story should be in it.

Thanks bro!

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:55 pm 

DH82EH wrote:
Actually Austin.....
I do have one more favour.
While we were there, Ben Beagle (great reporter name BTW :D ) the editor of the Livingston county news, came down to take some pics and write down Marilyn's story.
If you could snag me a copy or two of the next edition, the story should be in it.

Thanks bro!

Andy

With pleasure! I will let you know as soon as it comes out. 8)

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That's really cool, the dedication, Andy.

Nicely done.

Dave

PS -- How did you get eApis and Customs and so on sorted out?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Dave.

The first thing we did was file for a waiver because we have no transponder. We got it within a day and it is valid for 60 days I believe.
We file our eApis from St Catharines to Rochester. We actually fly direct to Geneseo.
We have the contact info for Customs. We know the gentleman that comes down each year for the airshow.
We had actually broached the subject at airshow time. He said "You have to land on grass? No problem, I'll come down and meet you. Just let me know"

It blows me away that he is this accommodating. There is no way we could have done this without this kind of service. Amazing!

Coming home, we filed Geneseo to St Catharines, made the Canpass call and that's it!

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:09 pm 

Hello Andy,
I read the story of your Tiger Moth with interest.
I too visited Wat Martin's farm as a 17 year old (34 years ago!) when I was in the employ of Don and Bernie Curry, at Hamilton airport. At the time we were dealing with Wat for parts and expertise as Don was rebuilding a Tiger that he would later put on floats and keep at their cottage on Lady Evelyn lake.
I also on many occasions visited Don and Bernie's home in Creemore, where I notice you are from.
I was wondering Andy of you could pass on any information you might have regarding Don and Bernie's Tiger, and if you might have any Don and Bernie experiences you would share. As I understand it, Bernie passed about three years ago while still in Barrie.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks in advance,
Jim Radix
Caledonia, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the interest.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Don. I did know Bernie, and saw her many times through Collingwood (now Edenvale) Classic Aircraft Foundation.
I learned to fly tailwheel on the Fleet Canuck that she covered and stiched :D .
I will make sure to ask Wat about that Tiger on floats. Did you ever see it completed, or better yet, get some pictures?
I think that it was Don and Bernie that brought Tiger moth C-GSTP from out west to Collingwood.
Bernie definitely was an interesting lady.

Andy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next