Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: A6M5 Zero in US livery [Hi-Res]

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:09 pm

I wonder if the pilot was still with this one when they found it? :shock:

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Rob Mears wrote:I wonder if the pilot was still with this one when they found it? :shock:

Yes he was. I have those pictures as well. PM me your e-mail.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:19 pm

The A6M5 C/n 5357 with tail number 61-120 is the now Planes of Fame Museum aircraft, based on my references. The markings indicate it belonged to the 261st Naval Air Corps, based in Saipan. It was coded TAIC 5 (Technical Air Intelligence Center) and shipped back to the US aboard the USS Copahee (CVE-12) along with other aircraft and arrived in San Diego on July 6th, 1944. For more info, see pages 171-172 of "War Prizes: An illustrated survey of German, Italian and Japanese aircraft brought to Allied countries during and after the Second World War" by Phil Butler, 1994. Hope that helps.

Randy

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm

bugazon wrote:since we are on the subject of American Meatballs, What is the history of the Planes of Fame Zero? How did we procure that one? Are there any capture images of that aircraft

A6M5(5357) - TAIC 5

http://planesoffame.org/index.php?mact= ... turnid=128

Last edited by mike furline on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:48 pm

mike furline wrote:
Rob Mears wrote:I wonder if the pilot was still with this one when they found it? :shock:

Yes he was. I have those pictures as well. PM me your e-mail.

P.O. Koga broke his neck in the flip after touch down on muskeg (basically a very wet peat bog). He probably would have died of starvation if he'd survived the accident since there's next to zip to eat on the island.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:28 am

Awesome!! Thank you! :supz: :drink3:

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 pm

mike furline wrote:
bugazon wrote:since we are on the subject of American Meatballs, What is the history of the Planes of Fame Zero? How did we procure that one? Are there any capture images of that aircraft

A6M5(5357) - TAIC 5

http://planesoffame.org/index.php?mact= ... turnid=128

Whats the story on the what appears to be an SB2C with the squared off barndoor rudder behind the Zero profile photo?

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:43 pm

I like that rudder on the SB2C.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:27 pm

I thought all Zeros were yellow! :)

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:02 pm

JohnB wrote:I thought all Zeros were yellow! :)

Only on really old AURORA model boxes, the Bf-109 was a sort of ribbon candy burgandy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:27 am

The Inspector wrote:
JohnB wrote:I thought all Zeros were yellow! :)

Only on really old AURORA model boxes, the Bf-109 was a sort of ribbon candy burgandy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

And the FW-190 was black, the Spitfire an attractive medium metallic blue.

A few years ago the Seattle Chapter of the IPMS had a display where members took quality kits of all those aircraft and painted them like the old Aurora kits. Fun idea...for those of us of "a certain age".

BTW: In the film PT-109, Japanese bombers (Cessna T-50s/UC-78/AT-17s, etc.) were yellow.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:15 am

I thought all Zeros were yellow!

.....only the pilots! [PS: skin not courage]

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:43 pm

great sets of pictures everyone, thanks for sharing.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:09 pm

The Inspector wrote: Whats the story on the what appears to be an SB2C with the squared off barndoor rudder behind the Zero profile photo?

No idea on the SB2C, but pic was taken at Pax River. So probably just one of the "one of's" that were tested during the war.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:45 pm

WOW! Wonder who is at the controls..............
Post a reply