Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:14 am 

Hello,

Is there any current activity on the Tempests being rebuilt in the UK (Kermit's example, etc.)? I assume the holdup is the engine. I am just curious if anything is still happening.

Regards,

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:18 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

Has anyone got any infos on this topic?

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:40 pm 

Hi Col

A real shame and probably not necessary - I think one could be made to run properly in this day and age

Regards
John p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kermit has three Napier Sabre engines. I don't think there is a problem with getting them rebuilt, but there may be a problem with maintaining them in the States. I have heard differing reports on whether Kermit will fly the aircraft, but it would be a shame if they didn't try. Mind you, Kermit never seems to maintain many of his aircraft in regular airworthy condition, so it may be a moot point anyway. I can't imagine how anyone could keep such a vast collection as his in current flyable status either... finding enough qualified pilots you trusted locally would be hard for one thing, and second, the sheer expense of operating, and more importantly, insuring them would be staggering, even for a man of Kermit's means.

With regards to the Tempest II's out there, I do believe that one in England is very close to flying again. Last reports I heard was that it would be aloft again within a year. There is another at Ezell Aviation, but I am not sure if work is progressing on this, or whether it is on hiatus at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

RMAllnutt wrote:
Kermit has three Napier Sabre engines. I don't think there is a problem with getting them rebuilt, but there may be a problem with maintaining them in the States. I have heard differing reports on whether Kermit will fly the aircraft, but it would be a shame if they didn't try. Mind you, Kermit never seems to maintain many of his aircraft in regular airworthy condition, so it may be a moot point anyway. I can't imagine how anyone could keep such a vast collection as his in current flyable status either... finding enough qualified pilots you trusted locally would be hard for one thing, and second, the sheer expense of operating, and more importantly, insuring them would be staggering, even for a man of Kermit's means.

Richard

I for one hope that the Napier Sabre powered Tempest will take to the air, but I'm not keeping my breath waiting for it! One alternative would be to get the engine running and then have regular events with the bird doing run-ups for the spectators! Somewhat like Doug Champlin did with the FW-190 over in Mesa.

T J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kermit method seems to be maintaining his two or three most recent builds in flying condition at any given time. I still view it as a personal collection rather than a "flying museum", and in that respect it makes perfect sense that he would choose to insure just the stuff that he was most interested in flying regularly.

Hopefully he'll be intrigued enough by the Napier-Sabre powered Tempest to take it aloft...at least enough to capture a nice collection of excellent air to air shots and visit Sun n' Fun and Air Venture for a season. I can't imagine his not jumping at the chance to add such an ultra rare type to his log books.

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi all--

Does Kermit Weeks have two Tempest projects? (Wouldn't be a huge shock, of course...) The Tempest I knew him to have was the ex-Skyfame aircraft, which was LA607 iirc, one of the prototype Mk.IIs, not a Sabre-engined example at all...

What continues to mystify me about Tempests, as nearly all the survivors are Mk.IIs, is this: why hasn't someone gone the same route with a Tempest II as so many have done with its direct descendant the Fury, and re-engined it with an R3350 in a stock-appearing cowl? Wouldn't even have "one too few blades" as is some people's peeve with Wright-engined Furies (though the four-blader would turn "backward" compared with a Centaurus version). There must be some reason I'm unaware of that has prevented what seems like a logical idea from being taken up. Anybody know more??

Just curious,

Steve T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:58 am 

Steve T wrote:
Hi all--

Does Kermit Weeks have two Tempest projects? (Wouldn't be a huge shock, of course...) The Tempest I knew him to have was the ex-Skyfame aircraft, which was LA607 iirc, one of the prototype Mk.IIs, not a Sabre-engined example at all...
Just curious,

Steve T

Steve
Have a look here http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.htm for info on survivors.

Edzell Tempest wont start till P-38 is finished,'07 according to this web site

Kemits Sabre Tempest MUST FLY, a Sabre in the air for the first time in over 50 years would be a unique MUST see warbird experience

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Actually, Kermit's Mk.V tempest is a hybrid, the fuselage came from a Mk.V in a Dutch technical college (Delft?), and the wings from a former Indian AF Mk.II. Kermit does own a prototype Mk.II tempest, but, as far as I know, this one is not being restored to fly.

I don't know why a Tempest Mk.II has not been restored to fly with a Sabre engine, but it's a very good guess that it's because the sabres are rarer than hens teeth! Partly though, I think it's due to lack of interest. We've had a number of Tempest II's available since the early 70's, and not one has yet flown under its own power. A travesty in my opinion!

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:50 am 

Yesterday I updated my website with a few news, incl. photos, regarding Weeks' EJ693:
http://www.hawkertempest.se/sai.htm

Cheers

Christer Landberg
http://www.hawkertempest.se

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:24 am 

ChristerL wrote:
Yesterday I updated my website with a few news, incl. photos, regarding Weeks' EJ693:
http://www.hawkertempest.se/sai.htm

Cheers

Christer Landberg
http://www.hawkertempest.se

Welcome to the forum Christer & thanks for a great web site.

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:11 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Very nice site, thank you for the up date. Lets hope that someday it will take to the air. I'd LOVE to see that.

the Tempest just seems like the A-10 of its day, beautiful in a strange way.