Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:06 pm 
I think there are a few people here that need to get over themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:20 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Col. Rohr wrote:
Hey I agree,

2) Talk to the Vought guys and see what it will really take to set up a line.

Just think of all the Dust bound planes that could give up airworthy parts to put others into the air. Why does Yank Air force restore their aircraft to airworthy if they are'nt going to fly them is'nt that redundent. If your going to spend all the $$$ to make it airworthy then fly the darn thing :!: :!: :!:

Hey Rob, I think Mr. Guest might have been referring to you... :oops:

What do "the Vought guys" actually have? Do they have drawings, actual hard tooling, or what? If they are a bunch of retired employees, their frame of reference is going to be building things like they are on a government contract. Not only that, but if they don't have an existing facility, YOU would be paying for their capital expeditures directly for them to obtain equipment. An existing shop would already have equipment and would not have a huge start up cost. If anyone expects this to actually happen at the Vought Aircraft facility in Dallas, forget about it! You can't afford to pay their overhead and shop rate, and I doubt Vought would want the liability of building parts for privately owned experimental non-military aircraft.

If you are referring to Yanks in Chino (as opposed to the Yankee Air Force), they are a very small museum, essentially funded by one guy. They don't have enough volunteers to keep the air in the tires let alone maintain the collection in airworthy condition (annual inspections every year, etc.). They are focusing their efforts on growth right now in their facilities and in charitable funding, and obtaining and restoring aircraft. They need to get them when the getting is good- they can always fly them later. Some of the aircraft do fly on occasion by the way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:44 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I was at Yanks in Chino in April. It is a beautiful Museum. They may not fly (often) but you can't complain about poor restorations on their part. I was told that they fly each aircraft enough to get any and all bugs worked out of them. As far as museums go, I think that it is probably one of the nicest I've ever been to. I hate going to a museum where they have the light dimmed so much you can't see the planes (USAF Mus). I just wish it was more like it was in 97 when you could walk completely around each plane and get a really good feel for them. I can't wait to go back :D

Also other boards I am on have rules that lurkers can’t post without registering, keeps things up front and generally friendly. It seems strange that is not the case here. Its sad that those type rules are needed. :cry:

Post subject: delete Mr. Guest
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:40 am 

I think Mr. Guest needs to be removed on this subject. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:26 am 

Hi all

Col Rohr

Could you put me in touch with someone who could give me details of how many Corsair main spars are needed and what the costs quoted have been as I believe I have a quality solution available at a reasonable price.

Kindest regards
JP

Post subject: New Spars
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:28 am 

You should talk to Murray Griffiths at Precision Aero Wangaratta I can't see the problem.
There is nothing that can't be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:02 am 
The problem is not how to build the spar its how to afford to build it.
It comes down to $$$$$. And as a side note. Alot of shops will throw out
a real high quote on a project just to see if the person is serious or
just "kicking tires" Its always easier to tell the customer you came in below your projected cost than above.