Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: White 33 Lightning
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:15 pm 

A very good friend of mine just sent me a updated picture of White 33 the P-38 being restored at WestPac. The aircraft seems to be on a fast track. Lots of subtle changes in the last few months. The biggest thing is the picture now shows that both Allison's are now at least attached to White 33.
I have no idea when this aircraft will once again grace the skies, but it is going to be sooner rather than later.
I apologize for not being able to post a pic, but first Im not on facebook, and 2nd Im somewhat computer challenged. I was told that folks who are on facebook can access WestPac's facebook page to see the latest updates on White 33. Also maybe one of the great Wixers who look at this site can post a link for you to see what Im trying to explain.
Anyway I wanted to let you folks know about White 33.
With my best regards
Ed Likes
Keepem Flyin

Post subject: Re: White 33 Lightning
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:05 am 

Here the photos of White 33 from the National Museum of World War II Aviation Facebook page:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Its coming together nicely. Lots of reskinning to do yet. A couple/three years and there will be yet anohter P-38 flying. :drink3: Is this the one belonging to the FHC?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:40 am 

White 33 belongs to Jim Slattery.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It looks to me like that cupola is installed temporarily, in order to fit all of the other parts that interface with it.
Clearly, Westpac has a level of craftsmanship that is second to none. Looking great!

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

DH82EH wrote:
It looks to me like that cupola is installed temporarily, in order to fit all of the other parts that interface with it.
Clearly, Westpac has a level of craftsmanship that is second to none. Looking great!

Andy Scott

And there is oh so many parts that connect from the center fuselage to the wing.
That photo will bring back many nightmares.
Yup, alcohol should help tonight.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

FHC's P-38 "Jandina III" is said to be advancing along in another room - curious to see which project will be rolling out first. Westpac has posted that "White 33" should be nearing completion in about two years. According to a past article about Westpac, they have enough stock/supply of parts and potential projects to restore several more P-38's.

(As has been brought up here in the past, this Pacific combat-vet P-38F "White 33" owned by Jim Slattery and under restoration at Westpac is not to be confused with Jerry Yagen's Pacific combat-vet P-38H "White 33 - Japanese Sandman II" project, which I believe is still at Precision in Australia.)

Here is another view they provided this past week showing the aft-bottom of the gondola/center section, as well as some flap and flap-well detail:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

51fixer wrote:
DH82EH wrote:

Andy Scott

And there is oh so many parts that connect from the center fuselage to the wing.
That photo will bring back many nightmares.
Yup, alcohol should help tonight.

Hey, sorry to give you nightmares Rich! :D
Just be glad it's on the other side of the country. That, and I don't think Jim flies a lot of twins. :lol: Mind you, if it came to a vote, all of us eastern warbird lovers wouldn't mind seeing a bit of balance in the East to West P-38 ratio.

Andy