Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: F-94 nose needed! - UPDATE Nevermind :)

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Wow dont see one like this everyday...

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Chris Brame wrote:Very interesting indeed. What does the "EC" signify? I recall the E signified being loaned out for test work; what was the "C" for? Also I wonder if the full designator would be "ECF-94A"? I recall one of the surviving B-17s carried an "EDB-17G" designation.

"EC" generally stands for Electronic Combat today, although I don't know if that held true in the late 40's.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:38 am

If it's a test bird, then JF-94A, NF-94A or EF-94A would be more likely. I'll see if I have the aircraft's record card.

I don't think 'ECF-' (or 'CF-')was an approved designation.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm

A little hard to see, but this is it.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Spectre_I wrote:
Chris Brame wrote:Very interesting indeed. What does the "EC" signify? I recall the E signified being loaned out for test work; what was the "C" for? Also I wonder if the full designator would be "ECF-94A"? I recall one of the surviving B-17s carried an "EDB-17G" designation.

"EC" generally stands for Electronic Combat today, although I don't know if that held true in the late 40's.

The 'C' is for 'Cargo' (as in EC-135, EC-130 etc).

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:06 pm

I might have stood for Electronic Conversion. Just a guess...

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Okay, I checked my copy of Col. Bud Andersons book "To Fly and Fight." and it mentions on pp. 238 and 239 that in 1956 he was assigned to the 6511th Test Group (parachute) . They shared space not at Edwards but with the Navy at El Centro. They used f-94's to do test work and as chase planes. Could your aircraft be one of those?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 am

It's an east coast bird from manufacture if I recall: straight to (Cornell?) for stability testing and no USAF service I think.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:50 am

quemerford wrote:It's an east coast bird from manufacture if I recall: straight to (Cornell?) for stability testing and no USAF service I think.

That sounds like what I was told about it.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 am

Interesting, and actually she will look better that way! I never considered the nose of the normal F-94 as pretty....

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:25 am

Electronic countermeasures testbed aircraft?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

How was it stenciled EC-94? Small datablock informational stencil,or big 'Buzz Number' stencil?
If the latter is it possible that EC was 'El Centro' and '94' just a coincidence? How were other test birds there marked?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:53 pm

shrike wrote:How was it stenciled EC-94? Small datablock informational stencil,or big 'Buzz Number' stencil?
If the latter is it possible that EC was 'El Centro' and '94' just a coincidence? How were other test birds there marked?

I'll get a pic today.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:25 pm

OK, it's an EF-94. Had a nice chat with the guy who did the research today. It was a test bed it's whole life, and was purposely refitted with the T-33 nose so it could carry various instruments. It never saw front line service. He says some logs show it was flown by Neil Armstrong. So, a very interesting bird it turned out to be! I'll post pics in another thread as we get it done. Should be fully assembled in a couple weeks.

This is the stenciling just below the canopy:

For placement reference: Just your standard inch or so letter stenciling.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Note the "A" after the serial - that's because there was another F-94 with the same last three digits in its serial, 51-5500:
(image from archive.org version of millionmonkeytheater.com)
...which coincidentally also had a nose job, to fit a 20mm rotating cannon.
Last edited by Chris Brame on Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post a reply