Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: B-24 Irish Ellie Mae
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I sent a fellow retired Coastie aviator the link to the other thread about the B-24 barn find. His dad was a B-24 pilot in WWII. He had some good info and pics. He said it was ok to post everything on here. I thought some may find this interesting. If anyone has any info on the aircraft, his dad or the outfit he would appreciate any info you guys may have. Gracias.....John

Here ya go.....

Quote:
My dad flew the cargo/tanker version of the B-24 (C-109) over the Hump in China-Burma-India during 1944-45. They called it the “C-One-Oh-BOOM” because many exploded en route to China hauling AVGAS for China-based B-29s and Chiang Kai Shek (who only hoarded it and seldom used it, because warlords in China were accorded “victory” if they amassed more supplies than their enemies). Dad always said they would have been easy prey for Japanese fighters, but the Japanese never flew in the nasty weather in mountainous terrain. Attached are photos of “Irish Ellie Mae,” his aircraft. In one of them, I think you can see an open bomb bay door with an AVGAS bladder inside. The aircraft was named for my mother, Eleanor Alicia (Slattery) Smith of Boston. My dad bought a Chow-Chow puppy in China and “buddy breathed” with him on the O2 mask as they crossed the Hump back to India – he grew up to be a BIG dog and guarded my dad’s tent all the time he was flying. Landing at night, the radio beacon would be turned on for brief intervals and the runways were lit with flare pots. By the end of the war, C-54s had arrived and he felt like he was better prepared for survival.

I copied his logbook in PDF. Some of the entries are very interesting. By March of 1945 he was flying into Chengtu, China; Mytchinya, Burma (where Merrill’s Marauders were based); Luliang, China; Kermitola, India; Tiligaon, India; Shamshernagar, India (now Bangladesh); Chenkung, China; Kunming, China; and Yonnany, China.

Some of his remarks were: “Started 8th mission; weather okay – topped everything at 20,000”; “made a close-in approach at A-1; B-29s gassing for raid”; “lost my no. 3 engine at Ipin; I proceeded in O.K. and came back O.K.”; “Mission #13 took off – weather terrible – got thru at 21,000 – went thru 5 storms”; mission #16 – made a nite takeoff – made loop letdown in China”: “Mission #21 almost didn’t get off on T.O. – loaded heavy & weather not too good”; “Mission #22 – another nite T.O. – weather not too good in N. China- made Captain April 1, 1945”; “Mission #36 – monsoon has really set in – rain the whole way – LT Liske killed on T.O. a.m.”

He flew a total of 65 missions over the Hump. I still have his flight jacket with blood chit and camel “hump” stamps on back.