Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:04 am 
Hey everyone, wanted to update you on Thunder over Michigan, time has sure went by fast and its about time for the show. We still have all 17 TBMs on track so far, Mid Alantic is still working on thier aircraft but its still a go. cavs corsair and the skyraider is the only aircraft out, we have added a few T-6s and other trainers and a F4F to go allong with the two FM-2s that are attending.
We have added more symposium guests including a wildcat pilot that Ruddy Frascas wildcat is now being painted up like. Also I have been told that thier is a good number of fighters and bombers that are going to show, that I dont know about. To let you know our photo tour both days is filling up and we do have it limited to a set number. for more info www.yankeeairmuseum.org
talk to you soon Michael Luther show coordinator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What exactly is the photo tour? I looked at the websight and it just talks about how to join it, it doesn't say what it is. I kind of looks like you have to join the photo tour if you want to get up close to the airplanes, like Reno and the pit pass system. Otherwise, your on the other side of the tracks with the unwashed public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Brad,

If I remember right the pass will get you access to the ramp about two hours before gates open. This will allow for photography without people in the pics.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:19 am 
correct, a photo tour pass will get you in to the show at 7am, two hours before the public at 9am to walk around and take photos without a mass of people in your way, this will be limited to about 50 people each day.
Everyone who attends the show at any time during the day will have close access to the aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:34 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

AIRIC wrote:
This will allow for photography without people in the pics.

Except for all the other photographers swarming around of course... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:35 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I don't mean this to be negative in any way just a question about the show layout. Last year there was a lot of confusion about where poeple could set up chairs for the show and where the actual "show center" was. I know some of the workers where about as pissed as some of us viewers where about this. I think this is something to consider in the planning and layout. I was lucky enough to get in a very small section next to CF's B-24. The others on the grass kept getting kicked out of the area because of the Med Flight Helos that were there.

So who else was in the section from the board?

It was a really good show and I wish I could be there this year. Thanks to everyone invovled. :D

Post subject: seating at thunder,
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:20 am 
Tim,

You made a good point, last year we did not really plan on poeple wanting to have a place to sit. Years before people walked around and did not really sit anywhere, last year was the first year I noticed people staying all day and wanting a place to sit, to watch the flying.
As for the grass area last year, the U of M medic helos were not to land in the crowd area, of course they did. Then they would not move or let the crowd back in the area so they could leave asap, well sunday we kicked them out of the crowed area and we decide we dont really want them back again.
The area you were sitting (B-17/B-24 row) was not really planed for seating, but this year that area will be reserved for seating only along the whole lenght, leaving about 1,000 feet of prime seating along the crowd line.
Tim thank you for your comments, as you can tell others have made the same point and becouse of this we were able to make the proper changes to make our show a better event.

If you have any other comments that could make our show better please let me know.

Sincerly,
Michael Luther
Show Director,
Thunder over Michigan 2004