Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 am 

Free now but there is a backend cost :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

BAJ wrote:
This looks to be a 2/3 or 3/4 scale Mustang.

Its just too small compared to the people in the photos.

What say you ?

The CAF press release gives details, etc... Owns it as their aircraft, names a pilot. Not sure how you would even go to the whole too small deal. I was taxiing for takeoff when it happened. A bit mad at myself for a minor delay that would have put us a few minutes earlier and on tower freq instead of ground.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:07 pm 

First and foremost I’m pleased nobody was seriously injured or killed. I will also hasten to add that I’m equally as glad my (and the rest of the team that cared for Red Tail here in the Twin Cities) involvement with the CAF and Red Tail Squadron ended almost two years ago and have had nothing to do with them since that time. It makes me quite ill to see pictures of our years of craftsmanship and dedication to cause laying on the ground in pieces again. I wish the Squadron and CAF all the best and a speedy recovery from this incident.

I’ve been told that speculation and rumors on multiple social media channels are claiming the cause of the “Forced Landing” was a mechanical failure. In the interest of fair reporting and protection of the innocent (The good people who have been maintaining the airplane for the last two years), that is completely false. That’s as much as I will offer other than to say my information is based on first hand fact.

I should probably change my WIX screen name to something else!

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Red Tail wrote:
I’ve been told that speculation and rumors on multiple social media channels are claiming the cause of the “Forced Landing” was a mechanical failure. In the interest of fair reporting and protection of the innocent (The good people who have been maintaining the airplane for the last two years), that is completely false. That’s as much as I will offer other than to say my information is based on first hand fact.

John

So, the suggestion is that it might be the same sort of "mechanical failure" which caused the gear of the Rocky Mountain Wing TBM to mysteriously retract? :-/

Sucks to see her all messed up like this. :(

Lynn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 pm 

You mean... a defective stick actuator? :roll:

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm not about how much 'free advertising' the CAF would like for damaging an airplane, regardless of the fault...
BAJ wrote:
What say you ?
Full sized one, no question. I've stood next to it myself at last year's Olympia airshow.
Still, I agree that some of the photos do sort of make it look a little smaller than it really is.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:35 pm 

p51 wrote:
I'm not about how much 'free advertising' the CAF would like for damaging an airplane, regardless of the fault...
BAJ wrote:
What say you ?
Full sized one, no question. I've stood next to it myself at last year's Olympia airshow.
Still, I agree that some of the photos do sort of make it look a little smaller than it really is.

I stand corrected but the photos do give the illusion and after all I am over 13,000km away !!!

PBY USN 46679
Constellation USAF 54-0145
Dakota 44-76774
Skymaster 44-9126
Sabre A64-901
HARS, Albion Park, AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:29 pm 

Red Tail wrote:
First and foremost I’m pleased nobody was seriously injured or killed. I will also hasten to add that I’m equally as glad my (and the rest of the team that cared for Red Tail here in the Twin Cities) involvement with the CAF and Red Tail Squadron ended almost two years ago and have had nothing to do with them since that time. It makes me quite ill to see pictures of our years of craftsmanship and dedication to cause laying on the ground in pieces again. I wish the Squadron and CAF all the best and a speedy recovery from this incident.

I should probably change my WIX screen name to something else!

John

I feel for you. It is for that reason alone you will never see my name on a CAF membership card. I support the individual squad's causes, but what HQ has and continues to do to squadrons isn't right in my opinion.

Just as bad as what Talichet and his family has done to countless museums. Let them restore the planes with their own money with the intention of that museum flying it when done and then pulling the A/C out right before they finish it and would have fulfilled the agreement which would have seen them flying it.

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:13 pm 

flightsimer wrote:
I feel for you. It is for that reason alone you will never see my name on a CAF membership card. I support the individual squad's causes, but what HQ has and continues to do to squadrons isn't right in my opinion.

Interesting comment. I am a relatively new CAF member. While I don't necessarily like a lot of things HQ has done in recent years, I recognize that much of it is a necessary evil in a larger effort to clean up the unfortunate reputation that the CAF developed over several decades.

As far as individual squadrons: I've been interacted with a few different squadrons in the last few years. Let's just say that they are not all equal. Some are much better than others - some get it and some continue to fight for the wrong things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm a new member, too, having watched the CAF for years and this incident has Not caused me to regret that choice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Red Tail squadron just posted their Facebook page that Mustang will be heading to AirCorps Aviation for rebuild. It should be there in a little over a week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Makes sense with another P-51C in their shop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

RyanShort1 wrote:
Makes sense with another P-51C in their shop.

That and at least 1 member of their staff was involved in the first two rebuilds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Aircorps has had quite a bit of experience with this aircraft over the last couple of years as well (annuals/maintenance/engine change).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next