Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: TFC Beaufighter resto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:41 am 
Hello,

Does anyone know the current status of the TFC Beaufighter rebuild? Is it still under "active" rebuild? I always loved that plane.

Sincerely,

Ron Werneth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, it's still actively being rebuilt. Most of the main structure seems complete, but there are a lot of technical and paperwork challanges with engines and props. Some here may be better qualified to comment. So, 'one day', it'll be done!

HTH
James K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:44 am 

I've got some pretty recent photos that I'll dig out later tonight.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:15 pm 
S/N Geek

I was there earlier this month. I have been busy with Project North Star stuff, and I have not had a good chance to sort through the photos yet, but I did look for any shots of the Beau I might have taken, and I found one. I put it in my Duxford album at...

http://community.webshots.com/album/153309675KHtNGr

...where you will also find pics of the Duxford Hurricanes.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:09 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

It doesn't look much different then when I was there in 2001. But I'll have to compare my photos to the others posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To be fair, it's not a project where visible progress really matters. Systems, paperwork parts acquisition and unique challanges are the main things they have to overcome. Gluing more bits on isn't critical.
Cheers
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:37 pm 
Hi Ron

How are you these days? still in Japan?

All the best

Elliott

Post subject: TFC Beaufighter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:35 pm 
Hello All,

Thanks for the info.

Elliott,

Nice to hear from you. My wife and I are back in Chicago. I am still plugging away at my oral history book on WW II IJN aviators which should be done by next year. Japan was a great success with over 50 interviews in 3 years. So, I am quite happy to have gone there.

Take care,

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:21 am 
I can't say too much and it would be up to Peter Rushen to comment/confirm/deny if he's lurking around this post ....... but they may shortly be going to receive a shipment of Hercule parts and tools from the antipodes perhaps that's going to help things along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:43 am 

Since I fell asleep infront of the TV last night I didn't get round to posting the photos I'd promised. I'll do it tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:07 pm 
Hi Denys
Beaufighter is coming on fine. With the help of the tooling and spares from you guys at Ferrymead we will be able to move on with checking the condition of the Hercules.
On the airframe front we have solved the u/c door problem and have also built a set for the USAF Museum's Beaufighter. Those attending Legends will see that the rudder is going together. Elevators and ailerons to follow.
Our friend Ralph Cusack, Beafort project, is sending over a set of oil coolers from Oz. Other items are also due to be shipped from Oz.

Thanks for everyones interest. Keep looking for those much needed parts.
Fuel tanks, trim jacks, dampers for crew hatch, propellers, magnetos, fuel pumps etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:48 pm 

Pete, I hope you don't mind, but here are a few photos of your project that I've taken over the last year or so:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:58 pm 
Hi Rob
Great photos. Make yourself known next time you are in the hangar then you can take some internal shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 pm 

Thanks very much Pete. Which days are best to catch you around? I'll be around on the day before Legends, but I guess things will be pretty busy then.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:34 pm 

Hi

I have been following this project for some years and well remember the Beau in it's Australian days

Does anybody know if the Engine /Prop issues have been overcome yet?
I was in the UK at Duxford in Sept and at that stage it was still proposed to go with Bristol Freighter units with 4 blade props. I know and understand why this may be necessary but surely in these modern days of engineering brilliance it must be possible to come up with a better prop arrangement - at least with a Mossie you could take you pick between 3 and 4 but a Beau just won't look correct - I am sure we will all be grateful and appreciate the finished product whatever happens but 3 would be better. There are some blades fitted to the Moorabin and Camden examples here - perhaps if they were servicable they could be exchanged for U/S examples from the UK

Kindest regards
John Parker