Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In one of the posts someone discussed the post WW II certifying of some military types as FAA standard category aircraft. Some of these had never been certified on the civilian market. What aircraft are in this distinct grouping? Some aircraft I believe are licensed in the standard category include:
Stearman Pt-17, Fairchild Pt-19/ Pt-23 Aeronca L-3, PBY Catalina, T-6,
C-47 are there any others?

Limited category- TBM Avenger, P-51 Mustang,

Airplanes I have seen with executive interiors, status unknown- Douglas B-23, B-25 Mitchell, B-26 Marauder, and B-26 Invader. Does anyone know how these would have been licensed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:54 pm 
wouldn't the B-17 Staggerwing fall under the standard list
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm 

Yes, The D17S was classified as UC-43's and the navy versions were GB-1's and GB-2's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Most T-6 and some T-28s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Some O2's are standard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:05 am 

marine air wrote:
Airplanes I have seen with executive interiors, status unknown- Douglas B-23, B-25 Mitchell, B-26 Marauder, and B-26 Invader. Does anyone know how these would have been licensed?

According to Peter M. Bowers, most specialized types such as fighters and bombers were eligible only for "limited" licences. A company could transport its own employees, but not carr fare-paying passengers.

Fighters came under the "Restricted" category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The CAF B-23 N62G is Standard.
Robbie :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It was probably pretty easy to get the B-23 a standard certificate since so many of the flight components were DC-3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:05 pm 

Be careful when mixing apples and oranges’. “Standard” or “Experimental” is the airworthiness certificate type and as a subpart to the airworthiness certificate, you have a category “normal, aerobatic, restricted, and limited”.. you have to look at the FAR’s to determine what you can and can’t do ( ie pax or compensation among others) with each category as that changes

so what you have is a Standard Airwothiness Citificate in the Limited Catagory

jcw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the clarification guys.
About thirty years ago my dad and I took his Stearman to Oshkosh. I saw two Martin B-26's that week. We made a fuel stop somewhere in southern Illinois and there was a B-26, white with a black stripe sitting in the weeds. when my dad went inside the FBO I strolled over to check it out. It had an executive interior and an airstair door under the belly. It had blown an engine an was abandoned and had been there for 8 years according to the lineman.
Later at Oshkosh, we saw a really slick civil B-26 Marauder fly in and then park across the field. At the end of the week it was parked for a few hours on the warbird line. I remember it had R-2800-CB16's with massive three bladed props, polished spinners , red leather interior with a door cut into the left side of the fuselage. Newly painted, it was all black with red trim. It may have been owned by the Whittington brothers.
Does anyone know what came of these two executive marauders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:31 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

At one point CAF B-26 Carolyn was painted in a white paint job with a black stripe. See the enclosed link.

http://b26marauder.com/carolyn.html

http://b26marauder.com/carolyn/carolyn3.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:
Thanks for the clarification guys.
About thirty years ago my dad and I took his Stearman to Oshkosh. I saw two Martin B-26's that week. We made a fuel stop somewhere in southern Illinois and there was a B-26, white with a black stripe sitting in the weeds. when my dad went inside the FBO I strolled over to check it out. It had an executive interior and an airstair door under the belly. It had blown an engine an was abandoned and had been there for 8 years according to the lineman.
Later at Oshkosh, we saw a really slick civil B-26 Marauder fly in and then park across the field. At the end of the week it was parked for a few hours on the warbird line. I remember it had R-2800-CB16's with massive three bladed props, polished spinners , red leather interior with a door cut into the left side of the fuselage. Newly painted, it was all black with red trim. It may have been owned by the Whittington brothers.
Does anyone know what came of these two executive marauders?

Are you sure it was Martin B-26 and not a Douglas B-26? I know the Whittington brothers had a black exec. Invader around 1975 which had a silver stripe with red outlining. Here is a photo of it:

It had earlier been ownd by Mickey Rupp who also had a P-51D in the same colors.

T J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:24 am 

26WB was based in Danville, Illinois with Louis "Watcha" McCullom for several years. He died in an aviation accident about 1984 and a few years later it was sold and flown out and I think went to Newyork? Rick Korff (sp?) flew his mustang to Danville and flew home with it. I think that was about the most nervous takeoff I've ever watched. My heart was pounding! But everything went well and I assume it's flight home was uneventful. That pic brought back some memories!
Mike Vadeboncoeur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:24 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I believe that the above A-26 went to the National Warplane Museum and currently resides there.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Airdales wrote:
I believe that the above A-26 went to the National Warplane Museum and currently resides there.
Jerry

It was at the National Warplane Museum for some years before being sold to a guy who has parked the plane in Las Cruces, NM. The NWM kept former Calspan A-26 N237Y instead. Seen here:

Does anyone know why Wayne County Sheriff Dept. of Detroit, MI owned both N26WB and N99426 "The Hustler" back around 1988? Could both have been used to fly drugs up to Detroit about the same time?

T J