Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Dispersal of airframes at Former Chanute

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:12 am

Any news chaps on aircraft that are going to new homes?

Re: Dispersal of airframes at Former Chanute

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am

The last I heard the Yankee Air Museum was trying to get the Connie. Not sure if there is any update on that. The C-133 was/is going to be scrapped along with the KC-97. The Hustler is going to Calif.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Nothing under GSA auctions yet. (They've been selling off a lot of intact Black Hawk helicopters plus stripped Hueys and Kiowas lately.)
The B-47's been rescued for Edwards AFB, the B-58's going to Castle, but the two F-105s, C-47 and Albatross are getting the chop at last report along with the C-97 and C-133. No word on the others.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Pity Yanks air museum couldnt get a 105 to replace the one they lost in the fire years ago

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Does anyone know if any former Chanute/Rantoul B-29s still exist?
My dad was a USAF electrical mechanic and worked on F-86Ds from '57 to '59. He's told me lots of times about a long line of Superforts at the base then, and he said it was common for them to hop in one to play around with it's wiring. They'd fire the engines up every now and then, too, he's said.
I've always wondered if any of them might be around today, somewhere.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Does anyone know if any former Chanute/Rantoul B-29s still exist?
My dad was a USAF electrical mechanic and worked on F-86Ds from '57 to '59. He's told me lots of times about a long line of Superforts at the base then, and he said it was common for them to hop in one to play around with it's wiring. They'd fire the engines up every now and then, too, he's said.
I've always wondered if any of them might be around today, somewhere.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:51 pm

p51 wrote:Does anyone know if any former Chanute/Rantoul B-29s still exist?

Yep - 45-21748:
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b29regis ... 21748.html

Repainted last year; image from the Albuquerque Journal:
B-29 45-21748 ex-Chanute.jpg

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... um#p559392
Last edited by Chris Brame on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:09 pm

According to the latest FlyPast, the C-130A is going to Missouri and the A-4 is off to Indiana (IIRC).

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:58 am

JohnB wrote:According to the latest FlyPast, the C-130A is going to Missouri and the A-4 is off to Indiana (IIRC).

Good news. Hope others find good homes as well.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:49 am

"Nothing under GSA auctions yet. (They've been selling off a lot of intact Black Hawk helicopters plus stripped Hueys and Kiowas lately.)
The B-47's been rescued for Edwards AFB, the B-58's going to Castle, but the two F-105s, C-47 and Albatross are getting the chop at last report along with the C-97 and C-133. No word on the others."[quote][/quote]

Does anyone know what kind of condition is the C-47 in?

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 pm

jriordan wrote:Does anyone know what kind of condition is the C-47 in?

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Chris Brame wrote:
jriordan wrote:Does anyone know what kind of condition is the C-47 in?

One of our fellow volunteers at LSFM crew chiefed this C-47 back in his Air Force days. He drove up there recently hoping to tour it once more, but everything was locked up tight.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:47 am

Would the aircraft be auctioned thru the GSA or DLA?

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:50 pm

warbirdfinder wrote:Would the aircraft be auctioned thru the GSA or DLA?

I just tried DLA's auction site on both Firefox and Chrome, and both blocked it with security warnings. Do they sell aircraft?

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:43 pm

Haven't got a security warning on the DLA site, but can't pull up items being auctioned.
Post a reply