Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:13 am 

I would have loved to pick up parts for some of our projects at War Eagles Air Museum, but insanity rules in the USAF today when it comes to preservation. Pylons, tanks, J65 for our F-84F, but I might as well wish for the moon. We would have been happy to provide a home for any of those Thuds.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wish that C133 could be saved

________

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 pm 

JohnB wrote:
I'm not sure why the C-47 and T-39 would legally required to be shredded, they are not "weapons" since they're civil types.

Just the laziness and CYA paranoia of our civil servants I suppose.

Good to see that the NMUSAF got a lot of parts off the Albatross. I hate to see that one go.
It's serial number, 17200, was the one on the old Monogram kit I had as a kid (explained by this example being the prototype for the long-wing "B" conversion) and looked at for many years.

I think some of the "paranoia" is due to our wonderful legal system. Seems to me I remember a story about the Navy getting sued because somebody died in a restored Navy bird, a T-34 I think, which the Navy had nothing to do with after it left their registers....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nothing new in the Rantoul Press; anyone been down there lately? It'd be interesting to see inside the C-133 while all the wasp nests are frozen...

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I drove through on the way home from visiting friends in Champaign today. There was a huge farm show going on, so it was kind of difficult to navigate around.

I did drive by the old museum ramp and saw no evidence of aircraft or parts anywhere. If the C-133 still exists, I didn't see it. The only evidence I saw of the museum was the old sign above the entrance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for letting us know - I've still been checking the Rantoul Press but it hasn't been mentioned lately. Wonder who got to cut it up and clean up the mess the other guy left?

R.I.P. 56-2009.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:16 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Stopped by Chanute yesterday on the way home from Paducah, and sure enough:

So... The End. :|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I meant to follow up with a couple pics from my last visit as well. I couldn't get very close to the ramp due to the farm and tractor show, but I did find this small display in what I assume used to be a park on base. I'm not sure whether it is intended to be a memorial or what it's purpose is, but it seems to be sliding into disrepair. I hope an organization can get involved to either relocate or preserve it where it is.

The inscription reads:

"We will have turned the corner when we reach the point where others turn and regard us as pacesetters."

ImageIMG_0030 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/124970884@N02/, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0029 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/124970884@N02/, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0026 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/124970884@N02/, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That hangar & attached shops are over 200,000 sq ft, did the museum occupy all of it?

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Kind of. There were missile training setups including a mockup control room with a concrete sliding hatch built into the hangar, so that took up a chunk of the space. The B-58 was the largest plane they had inside.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dang, that sure does look like the end. I guess the chances of my next beer can having a few C-133 molecules in it just went up a bit....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Well at least one of the air frames found a new home.

F-111 AARDVARK/63-9767

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:18 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Another little victory. Thanks Scott!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 am 

FlyingsCool wrote:
JohnB wrote:
I'm not sure why the C-47 and T-39 would legally required to be shredded, they are not "weapons" since they're civil types.

Just the laziness and CYA paranoia of our civil servants I suppose.

Good to see that the NMUSAF got a lot of parts off the Albatross. I hate to see that one go.
It's serial number, 17200, was the one on the old Monogram kit I had as a kid (explained by this example being the prototype for the long-wing "B" conversion) and looked at for many years.

I think some of the "paranoia" is due to our wonderful legal system. Seems to me I remember a story about the Navy getting sued because somebody died in a restored Navy bird, a T-34 I think, which the Navy had nothing to do with after it left their registers....

Does anyone know the case law associated with this? I researched online and couldn’t find anything. I am working on a book about my involvement (and now restoration of a replica) with SNJ-2 BuNo 2549 which was also scrapped by the NHHC. I could never determine why, this may explain it.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scott Rose wrote:
Well at least one of the air frames found a new home.

F-111 AARDVARK/63-9767

www.lakecountyveteransmemorial.com Hi Scott, Actually quite a few of the airframes found new homes. Off the top of my head the B-52 nose piece went to the Valiant Air Command Museum in Florida and one of the airframes went to the Yankee Air Museum but I can't remember which one. The Connie maybe? Someone here on the WIX awhile back posted a list of where other airframes went.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next