Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Warbird Digest
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:36 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1574
Location: Northwest Ohio
Sure would be nice to find out who to talk to about the C-47. Definitely can use some pieces/parts from it if its going to be (unfortunately) scrapped!

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:51 pm 
Offline
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 1:16 am
Posts: 10220
peter wrote:
Pity Yanks air museum couldnt get a 105 to replace the one they lost in the fire years ago


Huh? Yanks in Chino?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:17 pm 
Offline
Group Captain
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
bdk wrote:
peter wrote:
Pity Yanks air museum couldnt get a 105 to replace the one they lost in the fire years ago


Huh? Yanks in Chino?

I think he's referring to the Yankee Air Museum's F-105 that was lost in the 2004 fire.

:partyman:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:27 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 10:14 am
Posts: 1688
Location: canada
Whoops.. yes I was referring to Yankee air Museum :wink:

_________________
Cheers,
Peter

________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:00 pm 
Offline
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 am
Posts: 3524
Location: Eastern Washington
A small correction...the Blue Angles-marked A-4 is going to the MAPS Museum in Akron...not Indiana.

_________________
Remember the vets, the wonderful planes they flew and their sacrifices for a future many of them did not live to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 pm 
Offline
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 1:16 am
Posts: 10220
rcaf_100 wrote:
bdk wrote:
peter wrote:
Pity Yanks air museum couldnt get a 105 to replace the one they lost in the fire years ago


Huh? Yanks in Chino?

I think he's referring to the Yankee Air Museum's F-105 that was lost in the 2004 fire.

:partyman:


And of course Yanks Air Museum in Chino used to be the Yankee Air Corps. I suspect the name was changed due to just this sort of confusion!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:47 am 
Offline
Former Lurker

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:45 am
Posts: 3
cooper9411 wrote:
Sure would be nice to find out who to talk to about the C-47. Definitely can use some pieces/parts from it if its going to be (unfortunately) scrapped!


Call me a dreamer or wishful thinker, but I'd sure like to see the entire C-47 saved, not just pieces. It amazes me that in this day and age of warbird values and restoration, a C-47 like this could even be considered for scrapping. I understand it takes a tremendous amount of money to ship an aircraft like this, let alone restore it, but if they are planning on scrapping it anyhow......maybe I could figure out a way to come up with the funding to at least save it from the scrapman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 am 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 pm
Posts: 230
Whats exactly is left ?

Do we know for sure they will be auctioned off on one of the typical gov. auction sites ?
-Gov deals
-GSA auctions
-gov liquidators

If so, I'd be happy to bid on the Gooney Bird.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1574
Location: Northwest Ohio
jriordan wrote:
cooper9411 wrote:
Sure would be nice to find out who to talk to about the C-47. Definitely can use some pieces/parts from it if its going to be (unfortunately) scrapped!


Call me a dreamer or wishful thinker, but I'd sure like to see the entire C-47 saved, not just pieces. It amazes me that in this day and age of warbird values and restoration, a C-47 like this could even be considered for scrapping. I understand it takes a tremendous amount of money to ship an aircraft like this, let alone restore it, but if they are planning on scrapping it anyhow......maybe I could figure out a way to come up with the funding to at least save it from the scrapman.



Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the whole thing saved and restored! Sucks that the powers that be down in Dayton can make all the decisions while sitting in a cubicle.

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:59 pm 
Offline
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 1:16 am
Posts: 10220
I'm sure the powers-that-be just do what is easiest for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:14 pm 
Offline
Former Lurker

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:45 am
Posts: 3
bdk wrote:
I'm sure the powers-that-be just do what is easiest for them.


It's sad that the powers-that-be are lazy and with the simple swipe of the pen, can erase a piece of American history! There are so many folks out there that would be willing to find ways to take on these old birds if given the opportunity. Maybe not by ourselves, but if we put our minds together (and the lint in our pockets), we might figure out a way to at least keep them out of the smelter. It drives me crazy, this whole "if we can't have it, none of you can have it!" mentality our defense department has.

I say, take it back to the post war days and auction it all off. At least give us a chance! These old birds deserve it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:34 pm 
Offline
Flight Sergeant

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 pm
Posts: 78
Here is how it looked two weeks ago when I went to an indoor model airplane contest at one of the hangars. The old museum area is pretty well fenced, so I only got this cell phone shot.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:58 pm 
Offline
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:02 am
Posts: 3793
Location: Northbrook, IL
I don't see the C-130A. Has that headed off to Missouri?

_________________
Image
All right, Mister Dorfmann, start pullin'!
Pilot: "Flap switch works hard in down position."
Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, B-17G 42-102875


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:58 am
Posts: 355
Location: Lincoln, England
Yes, it arrived there in May.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:52 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:14 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Waukesha, WI
Photos on Facebook of the XB-47 being taken apart, heading for Edwards AFB. It looks like they are actually taking her apart properly and not just cutting her apart to be patched together later! :drink3:

https://www.facebook.com/Worldwideaircr ... =3&theater

_________________
Always looking for P-51D parts.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: happymeal, jdankos and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group