Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Dispersal of airframes at Former Chanute

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:36 pm

Sure would be nice to find out who to talk to about the C-47. Definitely can use some pieces/parts from it if its going to be (unfortunately) scrapped!

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:51 pm

peter wrote:Pity Yanks air museum couldnt get a 105 to replace the one they lost in the fire years ago

Huh? Yanks in Chino?

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:17 pm

bdk wrote:
peter wrote:Pity Yanks air museum couldnt get a 105 to replace the one they lost in the fire years ago

Huh? Yanks in Chino?

I think he's referring to the Yankee Air Museum's F-105 that was lost in the 2004 fire.

:partyman:

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Whoops.. yes I was referring to Yankee air Museum :wink:

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:00 pm

A small correction...the Blue Angles-marked A-4 is going to the MAPS Museum in Akron...not Indiana.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 pm

rcaf_100 wrote:
bdk wrote:

Huh? Yanks in Chino?

I think he's referring to the Yankee Air Museum's F-105 that was lost in the 2004 fire.

:partyman:

And of course Yanks Air Museum in Chino used to be the Yankee Air Corps. I suspect the name was changed due to just this sort of confusion!

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:47 am

cooper9411 wrote:Sure would be nice to find out who to talk to about the C-47. Definitely can use some pieces/parts from it if its going to be (unfortunately) scrapped!

Call me a dreamer or wishful thinker, but I'd sure like to see the entire C-47 saved, not just pieces. It amazes me that in this day and age of warbird values and restoration, a C-47 like this could even be considered for scrapping. I understand it takes a tremendous amount of money to ship an aircraft like this, let alone restore it, but if they are planning on scrapping it anyhow......maybe I could figure out a way to come up with the funding to at least save it from the scrapman.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 am

Whats exactly is left ?

Do we know for sure they will be auctioned off on one of the typical gov. auction sites ?
-Gov deals
-GSA auctions
-gov liquidators

If so, I'd be happy to bid on the Gooney Bird.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

jriordan wrote:
cooper9411 wrote:Sure would be nice to find out who to talk to about the C-47. Definitely can use some pieces/parts from it if its going to be (unfortunately) scrapped!

Call me a dreamer or wishful thinker, but I'd sure like to see the entire C-47 saved, not just pieces. It amazes me that in this day and age of warbird values and restoration, a C-47 like this could even be considered for scrapping. I understand it takes a tremendous amount of money to ship an aircraft like this, let alone restore it, but if they are planning on scrapping it anyhow......maybe I could figure out a way to come up with the funding to at least save it from the scrapman.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the whole thing saved and restored! Sucks that the powers that be down in Dayton can make all the decisions while sitting in a cubicle.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:59 pm

I'm sure the powers-that-be just do what is easiest for them.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:14 pm

bdk wrote:I'm sure the powers-that-be just do what is easiest for them.

It's sad that the powers-that-be are lazy and with the simple swipe of the pen, can erase a piece of American history! There are so many folks out there that would be willing to find ways to take on these old birds if given the opportunity. Maybe not by ourselves, but if we put our minds together (and the lint in our pockets), we might figure out a way to at least keep them out of the smelter. It drives me crazy, this whole "if we can't have it, none of you can have it!" mentality our defense department has.

I say, take it back to the post war days and auction it all off. At least give us a chance! These old birds deserve it!

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Here is how it looked two weeks ago when I went to an indoor model airplane contest at one of the hangars. The old museum area is pretty well fenced, so I only got this cell phone shot.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:58 pm

I don't see the C-130A. Has that headed off to Missouri?

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Yes, it arrived there in May.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Photos on Facebook of the XB-47 being taken apart, heading for Edwards AFB. It looks like they are actually taking her apart properly and not just cutting her apart to be patched together later! :drink3:

https://www.facebook.com/Worldwideaircr ... =3&theater
Post a reply