Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Dispersal of airframes at Former Chanute

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:58 am

M.P. wrote:According http://www.willyvictor.com the C-121 is scheduled to go to Willow Run in Spring 2017.
I was told the Stabilizer of the C-97 will go on display at the Knoxville Air National Guard Base.

Great to hear. It would a shame to loose another Connie. Would really be nice to see the New England Air Museum acquire the C-133 to replace the one they had that was destroyed in the 1979 tornado.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 pm

The C-133 is certainly a cool oddity of the Cold War which we'd all like to see saved. I think the problem is the huge cost in getting it from here, where nobody wants to to there, where somebody does. It's not as flashy as the B-58, so I'm afraid it's days are numbered.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:24 pm

StangStung wrote:The C-133 is certainly a cool oddity of the Cold War which we'd all like to see saved. I think the problem is the huge cost in getting it from here, where nobody wants to to there, where somebody does. It's not as flashy as the B-58, so I'm afraid it's days are numbered.

Lots of aluminum cans will be made!

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:13 pm

seabee1526 wrote:http://m.rantoulpress.com/news/living/2016-10-18/plane-rescue-michigan-group-flies-rantoul-b-25-see-constellation.html

Nice Rantoul Press piece on the Connie and sounds like bad news for the rest.

It mentions a P-38. Is that a replica??

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Chris Brame wrote:Many thanks to Spectre1 and the crew at Chanute for giving me the opportunity to get shots of the B-58 and (edit) F-5 this afternoon, plus my father got the chance to set foot on the Chanute flightline for the first time since 1947!

My pleasure, glad you had a nice visit. Thank you for the pictures!

:drink3:

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:46 pm

I wonder will this be scrapped?

http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162

I also have some pics from 2008 here, folks still had dial up then....

http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163&highlight=chanute

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 pm

The missile training stations looked intact (built into the hangar); would have taken photos but we were a bit rushed to get home - we'd lost an hour already from a detour on I-57 due to a wreck. I was flitting around like a hummingbird with ADHD taking pictures; if I had more time I would have been more thorough. The gentlemen working on the two planes were on the clock of course so I tried not to interrupt them too much, but they were nice to get a chair for my mother.

Almost forgot: I didn't see the F-86A or the T-33; anyone know where they went?

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Anyone know who is doing the scrapping....who gets the parts?

I'd like a seat or control wheel...C-47, B-66, C-97...it doesn't have to be from a rare type.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:42 am

Sure could use the ailerons ( if there in decent shape )!

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:37 am

A terrible shame to see that C-47 get scrapped. :(

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:13 am

Chris Brame wrote:The missile training stations looked intact (built into the hangar); would have taken photos but we were a bit rushed to get home - we'd lost an hour already from a detour on I-57 due to a wreck. I was flitting around like a hummingbird with ADHD taking pictures; if I had more time I would have been more thorough. The gentlemen working on the two planes were on the clock of course so I tried not to interrupt them too much, but they were nice to get a chair for my mother.

Almost forgot: I didn't see the F-86A or the T-33; anyone know where they went?

The F-86A is in Fort Wayne at the ANG base, I think the T-33 is as well.... They built a nice airpark outside of the gate a few years ago and these will be incorporated into that display.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:12 am

Any idea what's happening with the C-47 and if it's being scrapped who is doing it? There is plenty of stuff we could use for our C-53, especially if she is VIP configuration with seats. Who got the engines?

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:58 pm

Tramp...

If no one answers your question here, try calling the newspaper previously mentioned. They'd be able to ask to see who has the contract and your group getting parts might make an interesting story for them.
Last edited by JohnB on Mon May 22, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Most museums displays are on-loan from NMUSAF / USN, Etc. Very few, if any are owned by the museum itself. We only own a handful of ours. The decision on what to do with the on-loan aircraft / artifacts is decided by NMUSAF. If the museum outright owns something, it'd be up to the them.

Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm

So, now that we've gotten through the winter, any updates on the rescues/scrappings at Chanute?
Post a reply