Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm 

I'm trying to determine what US Navy aircraft might have been equipped with an Accelerometer that measured from negative 12 to positive 12 G's.
I'm speculating that its from the late 1940-early 1950's due to the design of the indicator. It's the 3.25 inch diameter, not the 2 inch used in later aircraft. It has a USN anchor symbol stamped on its rear, hence the thought that it was a USN aircraft.

Most Accelerometers that I've seen from this era indicate a range from negative 4 to positive 12 G's. A lower range to negative 12 G's seems very unusual.

Any ideas?

Here's the indicator, below, and more photos are here: https://aeroantique.com/products/accelerometer-g-meter-1.

http://aeroantique.com/
"All right, Striker, you listen, and listen close. Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That is extreme :/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's for when you're flying in Australia, and you're already upside-down.

That way the negative becomes positive, and so you're actually good for plus-12 both ways, on one gauge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mebbee used in test programs or regular operational conditions where you want to track extremes encountered? D-558 program, helicopters or aircraft landing on a pitching deck, landing traps in carrier ops? The Navy operates in some pretty demanding environs.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 am 

A little bit of WIXer humor is always welcome, thanks!

This indicator is particularly interesting in that it suggests that the aircraft that had it installed might occasionally (intentionally or unintentionally?) maneuver such that the pilot would experience up to negative 12 G's. So what might that maneuver be? And for what practical purpose would that serve (e.g., toss-bombing)? Or if experiencing neg 12 G's as a result of error, what is the error and why was it expected to occur at such frequency that the aircraft had to have an indicator for those instances?

Perhaps this is an example of my pondering the imponderable... but some aeronautical engineer identified the necessity to have this in an aircraft of the US Navy and I can't help but ask Why?

"All right, Striker, you listen, and listen close. Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Maybe it's out of some kind of test apparatus, rather than an aircraft?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm 

Centrifuge?

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Those values would be deadly if real.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

K5DH wrote:

I was thinking along those lines also. I did see one that was -5 to +12 that was stated to be from certain models of B-17's and B-25's. The other wag would be some kind of early test aircraft.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 pm 

CoastieJohn wrote:
K5DH wrote:

I was thinking along those lines also. I did see one that was -5 to +12 that was stated to be from certain models of B-17's and B-25's. The other wag would be some kind of early test aircraft.

Thanks CoastieJohn. The accelerometer that you're recalling is likely the AN-5745 (Type B-3), used in some models of B-17 and B-25 during post WWII, but also in other aircraft post WWII (e.g. F9F). It was also made by Kollsman, but also by Bendix (Pioneer) and Jaeger.

Unlike the AN-5745, which had 3 pointers, one for actual (real time) Gs, and one each for max and min Gs experienced in flight (as a record) until reset, this example only has one pointer to indicate Gs in real time without any max/min indication. So the (presumed) pilot viewing the reading is apparently responding to it (e.g. thinking 'holy sh-t') in real time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

2banaviator wrote:
CoastieJohn wrote:
K5DH wrote:

Thanks CoastieJohn. The accelerometer that you're recalling is likely the AN-5745 (Type B-3), used in some models of B-17 and B-25 during post WWII, but also in other aircraft post WWII (e.g. F9F). It was also made by Kollsman, but also by Bendix (Pioneer) and Jaeger.

Unlike the AN-5745, which had 3 pointers, one for actual (real time) Gs, and one each for max and min Gs experienced in flight (as a record) until reset, this example only has one pointer to indicate Gs in real time without any max/min indication. So the (presumed) pilot viewing the reading is apparently responding to it (e.g. thinking 'holy sh-t') in real time.

There is a pic out there of the AN-5745 for sale. That is where I got the application info. The pic of the one you posted is for sale on several sites....unfortunately there is no amplifying info as to the application.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am 

The F7U-3 could demonstrate 16 positive G's as well as 9 negative G's without structural harm. However, it uses the smaller accelerometer.

Cutlass Aeronautics, LLC
4863 E. Falcon Drive
Mesa, AZ 85215

“Restoring Aviation’s Cutting Edge”

Alcasby@projectcutlass.com
602-684-9371