Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 am 

thoots wrote:
DamonE wrote:
Has the (ex Pardue) FG-1D Corsair gone too? Or still at the museum.

I'm not aware of the history of the plane, but the Corsair that has been in the museum for years is indeed still there. In fact, it was one that made a major move in the new placement of things, coming out of one of the corners it has been in for quite some time, and is now rather "front and center" across from the B-17. That said, it's the same position that the P-38 and the P-40 moved to before they ultimately left the museum. Though, I don't recall it ever being on a list of planes likely to leave -- but then again, I'm sure there are plenty of other folks who know far more about that kind of thing than I do.

Here it is, in its current position:

I just notice this very recent post on FB regarding the Evergreen Mustang. It says it is going to a NY Owner? Does anyone have any more information? It mentions the owner also has the Corsair, but isn't it still at the museum as per the above post?

Thanks in advance. (It would be great to have another NY Mustang!)
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/Evergreen%2BP-51%2BMustang/stories-keyword/stories-public?esd=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%3D%3D

"P-51D Mustang, #44-63576. This is yet another aircraft leaving Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. I am told it is now owned by the same New York-based owner as the museum's FG-1D Corsair that is gone as well."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mustang N51DH is now listed to Black Pearl 51 LLC of Springville, NY, near Buffalo. The same entity owns TP-51D N51MX, ex Max Chapman "Mad Max".

Corsair N67HP is listed to Proair Holding Co. of Latham, NY, near Albany. That entity also owns an AT-6 and half a dozen gen av aircraft.

I have no info on who is behind the companies or whether they are affiliated with each other.

August

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:48 pm 

k5083 wrote:
Mustang N51DH is now listed to Black Pearl 51 LLC of Springville, NY, near Buffalo. The same entity owns TP-51D N51MX, ex Max Chapman "Mad Max".

Corsair N67HP is listed to Proair Holding Co. of Latham, NY, near Albany. That entity also owns an AT-6 and half a dozen gen av aircraft.

I have no info on who is behind the companies or whether they are affiliated with each other.

August

Thanks August. Mad Max was at Geneseo last year. If they added another Mustang that's fantastic. I hope both return to Geneseo one day soon.

As for the Corsair, did the Murphy family buy another one after adding the former Skyboss? Their grass strip is 24 miles from Albany.
https://www.airnav.com/airport/0NY7

The Murphy collection:
http://classicwarbirds.net/the-murphys- ... ion-clinic

"an eclectic collection of aircraft all meticulously maintained.T-6’s, the Mustang, Christen Eagle, Grumman G 164 AgCat, Meyers OTW, and a Piper L-4 Cub that has taught two generations of Murphys to fly. The collection isn’t limited to fixed wing aircraft, both Dave and Mark hold their rotor craft licenses, so why not throw in a Bell 47 and a Robinson R 44."

This is good for the NE!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:02 pm 
WRG Associate Editor

CH2Tdriver wrote:

Thanks August. Mad Max was at Geneseo last year. If they added another Mustang that's fantastic. I hope both return to Geneseo one day soon.

As for the Corsair, did the Murphy family buy another one after adding the former Skyboss? Their grass strip is 24 miles from Albany.
https://www.airnav.com/airport/0NY7

The Murphy collection:
http://classicwarbirds.net/the-murphys- ... ion-clinic

"an eclectic collection of aircraft all meticulously maintained.T-6’s, the Mustang, Christen Eagle, Grumman G 164 AgCat, Meyers OTW, and a Piper L-4 Cub that has taught two generations of Murphys to fly. The collection isn’t limited to fixed wing aircraft, both Dave and Mark hold their rotor craft licenses, so why not throw in a Bell 47 and a Robinson R 44."

This is good for the NE!

Murphy did not purchase the former Skyboss N83JC... he is only flying it for the owners on the airshow circuit. The owners are Ellenville LLC, which doesn't say much.

The owner of N67HP is David Prescott of Proair Holdings in Albany. N67HP is enroute to John Lane's shop to get it back to flying condition first though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:14 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

"Never Miss" is registered to MMC Inc. of Amsterdam, NY. Other Murphy planes are listed to a variety of companies including "Maid Marion LLC" (a Delaware company) and "Murphy Airport Inc." (also Amsterdam NY).

Ryan, do you know whether Prescott also owns "Mad Max"? If not, maybe the Evergreen Corsair and Mustang are not going to the same NY owner as suggested by the FB post.

Either way, I agree it would be nice to see these planes in NY. I still recall watching N67HP back in the 1980s.

August

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:40 pm 
WRG Associate Editor

k5083 wrote:
Ryan, do you know whether Prescott also owns "Mad Max"? If not, maybe the Evergreen Corsair and Mustang are not going to the same NY owner as suggested by the FB post.

Negative, N51MX and N51DH are owned by Black Pearl 51 LLC (Louis Horschel) out of Springville, NY near Buffalo and David Prescott/Proair with the Corsair is over in Albany. Two separate entities.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm 

Whoever the new owners turn out to be, if the aircraft are all going to be New York based that's awesome! I miss having the Baranaskas airplanes gracing our skies and all the local shows. I'm really glad Skyboss/Godspeed didn't go too far either when the AAM parted with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just as an aside to the recent discussion...the new/current owner of the former "Skyboss" Corsair, now painted as "Godspeed", is Ronald Lauder (member of the Estee Lauder family) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Lauder

He also owns the Spitfire Mk.1 P9374, recently imported from the UK, now registered N92SQ.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Fascinating. Does this mean we could see a Spitfire Mk.I flying around here in the northeast? That would be something.

August

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 pm 

I've been away from the museum for about a month, and my gosh, what on Earth has been going on there! Let me count the ways:

1. The B-17 is out of the museum. Not exactly "gone" -- it is now sitting outside, behind the building across the highway from the museum that once housed the headquarters for Evergreen Aviation. From what I understand, it's just waiting for a pilot (presumably the same one who flew the P-38 away) to fly it out of there.

2. The Corsair has been sold and is gone. The same fate awaits the Mustang. Absolutely, utterly unbeknownst to me, the "Falls Event Center," which bought some of the property at the museum in a bankruptcy sale, and has henceforth established the museum as one of its "Falls Event Center" meeting facilities, also bought TWELVE AIRPLANES as part of the deal, and they haven't wasted much time selling at least the first two of them. Here is how I found out -- in an article from the Portland Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/inde ... green.html

And yes, a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation is part of the whole story. Talk about a business partner that Evergreen did NOT need!

3. So, there is quite a bit of upheaval at the museum. However, they have plenty of planes to fill its museum buildings with. I was there this morning as they were moving their Consolidated PBY Catalina into the main museum building. The DC-3 had been moved to the space where the B-17 had been, and the Catalina was moved into the space where the DC-3 had been. The museum has two smaller "flying boat" aircraft, which were moved under the Catalina's wings. There were quite a few other moves that had already been made -- it appeared that one area was filled with "scout aircraft," the WWII planes were in one general area, and a lot of the homebuilt aircraft had been moved out of the building. The latter was fine with me -- by all means, let them get some of the far more significant aircraft that have been wasting away outdoors into the museum, instead of a dozen homebuilt planes. And so on.

Of course, I took pictures, but it'll take another day or two to get some processed and posted -- I'll definitely give you a look at things as I saw them today. But that's the story for now, as I understand things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 am 

The gutting of what once was a really nice collection (in spite of a questionable paint job or two) continues. I am glad that I was able to enjoy it many times before the cards all started to fall. I will take solace that the aircraft are going to parties who will fly them and take good care of them, but...the draw to drive that far out of the way is lessened. Hopefully they will restore the PBY to respectable condition, and it will be good to see the Century Series fighters grouped together, but........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 am 

Honestly, I think it is wonderful to see some of these planes get out and get flying again. Portland is not far from Seattle, where the world class Museum of Flight has a specimen of all the planes that have left Evergreen. Too me, it has been disappointing to see fine, flyable warbirds grounded in these museums. It is heartening to see some go the other way.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:56 am 

RobC wrote:
Portland is not far from Seattle, where the world class Museum of Flight has a specimen of all the planes that have left Evergreen.

Having worked at said institution I probably have a much different outlook of the definition of 'world class' than you do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 pm 

I don't suppose there is ANY chance the new owner would restore the P-51 back to it's 1949 colors?

"Jay Dee"

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51regis ... 63576.html

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:44 pm 

I also wish they would. I wish Kermit Weeks would have restored his P-51C in its post war racing colors. But as I have said many times here before, it is their plane, their money, so paint it as they see fit, be it "civillian", true military, or some faux military scheme.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next