Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Cool, I've been waiting to see those planes move off center for a while.

I'm a firm believer in the substantiality of the Harpoon. I'm still looking forward to seeing one restored to the stock hilt one day. I'm always interested in the gun hardware arrangements, interior particulars, and other details that aren't normally included on most operational warbirds. I hope Mr. Weeks pulls out the stops with the PV-2 even though its a relative obscurity in the mind of most enthusiasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:27 pm 

Just how are the leaving if I may ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:10 pm 

That's what I wanted to hear Col. Rohr! I did not think the birds were flyable or I would not have asked the question. I think I can get out to Mesa in the morning but I won't be able to stay past noon or so. I'll get some pics of whatever looks interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:37 pm 

PV-2s, now there is a topc I can get excited about :D

Kermit's PV-2s have been made ferriable by Aero Trader, and will eventually end up at Carl's place in Octillo Wells. I don't believe there are immediate plans for their restoration.

Rob Mears, you wish is going to come true, in a couple of years. My PV-2 restoration is going full bore again at John Lane's Airpower Unlimited and hopefully will be done in two years or so. Last word from John was that they had just finished the sheet metal work and corrosion rectification.

For those of you who don't know, I have all the original parts for this airplane, right down to the toilet paper roll holder for the toilet. We are returning this airplane to stock military configuration, with all the original equipment, armament and radios. We had Aero Trader build us a stinger turret using Kermit's as a pattern. I don't believe that any others for the PV-2 exist. I have another one for the PV-1, but it was different.

This PV-2 is the oldest in existence BuNo.37107 and as far as I can tell, is the only one that serviced in the Atlantic Fleet prior to the end of the war. She served with ASDEVLANT (predecessor to VX-1) at Quonset Point, RI during 45-46. VX-1 then moved to Florida and 37107 went with it. ASDEVLANT was the Anti Submarine Development Detachment, Atlantic. So we assume it was tasked with developing new anti-submarine tactics. I have tracked down a couple pictures of ASDEVLANT Venturas, but no pictures of the Harpoon yet. When we stripped the airplane down we found white in places that would lead us to believe that this airplane was painted in the ASW II scheme (white-grey) which is how we plan paint the airplane. In fact, the nose is already done, with the guns, radar etc installed and painted. If anyone out there has info on ASDEVLANT I would love to hear from you.

I am working at this time to get updated pictures on my website www.pv2harpoon.com, but time is precious with a three year old in the house and several warbirds at the hangar to take care of :shock: So hopefully I will have some new pictures up in a week or so.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:58 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Chino? Taint nuttin' but steers 'n skeeters out there... :?

Maybe Carl wants to block off some space on the ramp for the show?

BK

Col. Rohr wrote:
Hi Guys,

Kermits Two PV-2 are going to be leaving Mesa for Chino sometime tommorrow.

So be on the look out and maybe someone can get some pics and scoop all of the Mags.

Cheers Col.Rohr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:32 pm 

Thanks Rob...that would be great!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:43 am 

I went to falcon field in Az. on New Years day 1991.I was in town visiting friends and made a solo trip to check out the Champlin fighter collection.Unfortunately for me,the sign on the door said that the only days they were closed were Christmas and new years day! JUST MY LUCK! Anyway, I stumbled around the field and found 2 or 3 Pv's rotting into the asphalt.they were all complete and appeared to have bug sprayers or similar attached.were these the aforementioned planes?Also,I never made it back to that part of Az.again and never got to see the collection!darn! thats the story of my life!...........Tim.............. :shock: :roll: :( :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:53 pm 

I dropped by Falcon Field this morning to see what was up. One of Kermit's PV's was being worked on feverishly with hopes of at least a flight today. They were fueling it while I was there but I had to leave before anything good happened! The other PV reportedly belonging to Kermit looks to me like it is still a long ways from flying. There are at least 5 PV's on the field so I'm not 100% sure which of the others is Kermits but none of the them were receiving any attention today.

An OV-10 recently refurbished by Marsh Aviation departed the field while I was there which was interesting. (to me at least) I do not recall having seen a Bronco fly before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:58 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Chad Veich wrote:
I dropped by Falcon Field this morning to see what was up. One of Kermit's PV's was being worked on feverishly with hopes of at least a flight today. They were fueling it while I was there but I had to leave before anything good happened! The other PV reportedly belonging to Kermit looks to me like it is still a long ways from flying. There are at least 5 PV's on the field so I'm not 100% sure which of the others is Kermits but none of the them were receiving any attention today.

An OV-10 recently refurbished by Marsh Aviation departed the field while I was there which was interesting. (to me at least) I do not recall having seen a Bronco fly before.

and now the important question, did you get pictures?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:06 pm 

I did snap a few Scott. I will put them up on web shots as soon as I can get them downloaded and cleaned up. You will, of course, be able to use any of them that you like in the registry.

PS- I even snapped a few pics of a couple of military marked Navions for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:14 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Chad Veich wrote:
I did snap a few Scott. I will put them up on web shots as soon as I can get them downloaded and cleaned up. You will, of course, be able to use any of them that you like in the registry.

PS- I even snapped a few pics of a couple of military marked Navions for you!

Thanks Chad! :D

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:32 pm 
WRG Associate Editor

Chad Veich wrote:

At least one of those Harpoons is the one formerly owned by the Collings Foundation that was sold to AN Vintage Restorations a few years ago. It was a bird sold at the Globe auction in the mid-80s. It will be a while before that will be flying.

Ryan Keough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi All,

Perhaps I can shed a little more light on the PV's at Mesa. The five Harpoons currently at Mesa and their owners are:

N7483C--Kermit Weeks
N7273C--Kermit Weeks
N7268C--Gene Packard
N7454C--Vintage Aircraft
N86492--Bob Reed

An A&P friend examined all five airframes inside and out back in February and wasn't too impressed with any of them. Instruments missing, glass crapped out from the heat, disintegrated wiring harnesses, and (most unfortunately) ALL showing some level of corrosion on the main spar. Believe me, this is the major bugaboo with surviving Harpoons. The Harpoon that I've had the opportunity to work on is owned by the Wisconsin Wing of the CAF, and since corrosion was evident on the spar they wound up milling & drilling a replacement...expensive and time-consuming!

It would appear that Tim Savage's and the CAF's Harpoons will see wind under the wings at about the same time. Tim, as soon as you pull that beast into bomber row at OSH the overpriced burgers are on me! 8)

For updates on the CAF's Harpoon try: www.cafwi.org

Dan