Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:05 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was curious if anyone knew for a fact what happened to this C-124 turned into a resturant? Registered N3153f c/n 44339. It had been posted on Old Props that it had been scrapped and on another site said it's where abouts were unknown. Does anyone here no for sure if it was scrapped? Seem a shame if it was. And if it was how did it happen with out the warbird community not knowing about. Considering as far as I can tell this was the only civil registered C-124. Or did I miss the whole thing while under a rock? I always wondered why this aircraft type never made more of an impact on the civil community or even in the air tanker community. Would be awesome site to see this awkward bird at an airshow. On the ramp showing the C-17s how they did it "Old School" style. With Clamshell doors, fold down ramps, Fold down upper decks to accomodate more troops, be able to crawl through the wing and turn wrenches on the engine while in flight and a elevator lowering a old jeep outback. :wink: Well hope someone out there has the answer. Thanks

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:16 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Very sad indeed. If I recall a while back I saw some old footage of C-124s being cut up for scrap. In what looked like a guitine action just aft of the cockpit area and along the fuselage. Very sad.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:10 pm 

It wasn't a secret that it was going to be scrapped. It sat there for probably twenty years going further and further downhill. There was plenty of opportunity for someone with a spare million or so to step in and save it, haul it out, restore it and put it in a museum or fly it for fun. No takers.