Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Unsung Heroes of Aviation Museums: Ground Support Equipm

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm

Noha307 wrote:Now we head south-o-the-border to check out two Argentinian aviation museums.

First, the Museo de la Aviación Naval Argentina (Argentine Naval Aviation Museum) has two aircraft tugs.

One is a S32A-31 that was used aboard the aircraft carrier ARA Veinticinco de Mayo. In another coincidence, based on appearance, I believe this is the same model of tug as an MD-3:
(Source: Blogspot)

Yes, definitely an MD-3...maybe with a custom wood seat mod, too.

-Tom

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:26 am

I'm going to cheat a bit with this post because these two mentions aren't your typical GSE. However, they have probably moved more museum aircraft than most of the other entries in this thread.

First up, is the tractor-trailer the National Air and Space Museum uses to shuttle airplanes from Silver Hill to Dulles:
(Source: National Air and Space Museum)

The other is Worldwide Aircraft Recovery's fleet:
(Source: Facebook)

At least one of which has been similarly tagged:

Finally, I also came across a relevant article about "prime movers for airplanes" while searching for pictures for this post.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Tug with a roof rack, I think this was taken at Hemet (this morning).

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:40 pm

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:51 am

Yermolaev Er-2 with Ach-30B engines being fueled by a Studebaker US6 tanker.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 am

Cool stuff guys! Thanks for adding!

I'm going to cheat a little bit again and mention something that I came across tonight. The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum has an electric cart from the McDonnell Aircraft factory that James S. McDonnell used to drive President John F. Kennedy around the plant:
(Source: Blogspot)

More on subject, they also appear to have an unknown yellow tug:
(Source: AboutStLouis.com)
(Source: AboutStLouis.com)

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm cheating for a third time to mention that the Royal Air Force Museum Cosford has put the Bedford MWC 15cwt truck, registration 05 AS 35, that carried Viscount Hugh Montague Trenchard's casket on display:
(Source: Warbirds News)

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Nice picture ZRX61! Which Kearny Airport was this picture taken at? Wikipedia lists two: one in Nebraska and one in Arizona. Or was it neither?

The guys over at Vintage Wings Inc. were donated a 1956 Hobart Tractor Aircraft tug/ground power unit by Tom Pizzuti of Aeronational, Inc. Apparently they painted it olive drab, added the text "USAAC191938", and named it "Herb":
(Source: Vintage Wings Inc.)

Apparently the streamlining seen on the Thompson TB P505s in a previous post was popular for aircraft refuelers back in the day. I came across an article with some good pictures of something called a Texaco Doodlebug at various airports.

Also, it might be worth mentioning the recent post about the runaway Royal Canadian Air Force tug hitting a parked Lockheed Hudson I, s/n 763, in Hangar 5 of RCAF Station Yarmouth.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Noha307 wrote:Nice picture ZRX61! Which Kearny Airport was this picture taken at? Wikipedia lists two: one in Nebraska and one in Arizona. Or was it neither?

Not sure which one.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Well..... judging by the rust, the hay, the foliage, the trees, the clouds, and the fact that the paint isn’t “whited” out...... I’d speculate it’s not Arizona....

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Corporal Ed Brigano and Sergeant Frank Tenuto 328th FS/352nd FG.

Anybody have any details on the cab and tank?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:42 pm

The tug that was not listed on the Connecticut Air & Space Center's website at the time of a previous post has now been added. It is a United TA-75:
(Source: Connecticut Air & Space Center)

They also have an engine hoist that wasn't included last time:

Also, a couple photos from Mark Allen M's recent thread:
(Source: Flickr)

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Noha307 wrote:The tug that was not listed on the Connecticut Air & Space Center's website at the time of a previous post has now been added. It is a United TA-75:

I'm guessing the TA-75 is a shore model, rather than for use on a flight deck. Someone added a hood scoop to it, and the seatback rises above the aft deck--both items which wouldn't fit under some airplane wings. Back in the late 70's, the MD-3 tow tractor even had a "half-wheel" for steering, so it didn't extend above the tow tractor's deck. I could be mistaken, of course, if anyone knows more about it. Also, I think it had a Chevy engine...maybe a 289 (?) or 350, but it's been a long time since I've see the engine while tampering with the governor. :lol:

-Tom

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:33 pm

I've posted about the F-55 Federal Aircraft Tug at the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum twice before (1, 2), but they recently updated their website and added a list of all of their ground vehicles, so here's a more complete list of their GSE from their Exhibits and Displays page:

• 1946 Ford Airport Refueling truck
    (Source: AirMuseumGuide)
  • 1953 F-55 Federal aircraft tractor (license built Coleman CF-55-AF)
  • 1985 TM-1800 Aircraft Deicer Truck
  • 1987 P-19 Crash/Fire Truck
    (Source: AirMuseumGuide)
  • 1994 T400 Paymover aircraft tractor (in back)
    (Source: TripAdvisor)
  • 2005 MB-4 NMC Wollard aircraft tractor
    (Source: Yelp)

They also have three warehouse tractors that they use as GSE:
  • 1948? Moline warehouse tractor - Painted as USAAF 210047 (see similar tractor in previous post)
  • 1961? Western Motors warehouse tractor
  • 1963? Yellow warehouse tractor

Unknown yellow aircraft tug:
(Source: ABPic)

Ground power unit:

Ground power unit:
Post a reply