Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Although I've never been much of a fan of the show, tonight's episode of "Weapon Hunter" on the Smithsonian Channel looks interesting to watch. It will feature the Southern California Wing's PBJ Mitchell restoration, as well as the Collings Foundation bomber school. I don't know if it will be part of tonight's episode or not, but in the previews for this season it also shows video clips from Aero Trader's desert storage yard (I know they've got a "few" Mitchell parts :D ).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It's on tonight at 9:00pm EST and tomorrow twice.
Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It was a very entertaining episode. The CAF SoCal wing PBJ was featured along with Wixer Dan Newcomb. Taigh Ramey and the Collings Foundation bomber camp were also shown. They threw in a trip to the AeroTrader storage yard in Borrego Springs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quite a corny/very staged show, every step of the way, but nice aircraft to watch on screen at least. Obviously the pristine Norden bombsight they track down in the show wasn't really just sitting out in the nose of Carl's B-25C (having seen said aircraft a few years ago), and you'd think the exhaust stains (and lack of crowds/celebration) would be a good clue that they really weren't taking the PBJ up for the very first time (not to mention the made-up suspense of an engine that won't start). Still, it brought back some great memories/visuals from when I was out there last. Next week's episode features the Southern California Wing again, with their SNJ and A6M3. The more warbirds on TV the better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

my directv doesn't have that channel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Stoney wrote:
my directv doesn't have that channel.

It'll probably be on youtube in another week or so. The Guntruck, ("Weapon Hunter: Vietnam Road Warrior"), episode is already on there for public viewing.

EDIT
Of course, if you wanted to Stoney, "The Big Bad B-25" episode is available on youtube now for $1.99.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:42 pm 

First the positives....the great videos of the plane, the interview with the WWII vet, a chance to see the Bearcat, and Carl Scholl's boneyard. The negatives..the host is an idiot, his absolutely horrible "comb over", his condescending, almost childish way he narrates. Also, it made some of the CAF workers look like idiots...I mean, really, after all the years of restoration of the PBJ, they never thought of going to Carl to see if he had a Norden Bomb Sight? Heck, I have seen them for sale on E-bay. The host acted like he was the only one capable of finding such an item. Again, nice publicity, but I just can't stand the host.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It's a TV show. They use "gimmicks" to bring the host "closer" to the subject matter. They wanted to make him seem like he helped "restore" it by installing the 50's and "finding" a Norden, the crowning touch! Norden's aren't that hard to find and the one they installed looked like a different one than the one he found at Carl's. Doesn't matter in the long run.

Enjoy the good stuff and overlook the cornball aspect. Taigh's Bomber Camp and the CAF got some good coverage and it looks like they filmed another segment with the CAF for next Sunday night when the host dogfights with the CAF Zero. It's also nice to see people I know like Dan and Taigh.
I'll watch it.
Jerry