Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How exciting! I can't wait to hear where it will wind up. I hope it'll become a flyer.

Sad to see it leave Geneseo. On the plus side it gives NWM more space to work on their B-23.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That would be great to see the B-23 project gain some steam.
Robbie Stuart
(Former Crew Chief B-23 N62G) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

Is the MARC A-20 the same one that was at Beaver Falls, PA about seven or so years ago? IIRC, the one I saw there was a "H" model and of course I photographed it.

JDV
http://www.fuselagecodes.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, same one. If it's going "overseas" then my first gut guess would be The Fighter Collection. They haven't had a twin engine bomber flying since they sold the B-25D.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 pm 

I don't recall where I saw it, but I thought I read somewhere that it was headed for Russia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bomberfan wrote:
I don't recall where I saw it, but I thought I read somewhere that it was headed for Russia.

NOOOO! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!!!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:24 am 

I LOVE B-25s....and secretly LUST after A-20s!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Warbird Kid wrote:
bomberfan wrote:

NOOOO! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!!!

While that may be unfortunate from a US enthusiasts point of view, the A-20 seemed to have a more significant role in Soviet service than it did with the US.....She seems rather forgotten here, except for a few of us. Hopefully a few more US projects can get put back together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
Yes, same one. If it's going "overseas" then my first gut guess would be The Fighter Collection. They haven't had a twin engine bomber flying since they sold the B-25D.

I kind of doubt it is TFC. They have been trying for years to get rid of all their twin engine warbirds. They sold the B-25, F7F Tigercat and put the Beaufighter up for sale, though, to my knowledge, it hasn't sold. I remember reading years ago that Stephen Grey, for some medical reason, couldn't fly twin-engined aircraft any more. Any one know more about this, or was that just false rumor?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

FWIW. Just a guess but doubt it's going to Russia. They have no warbird movement. Second, the warbirds that have been restored over there, and there may be a few being restored as we speak have all been for U.S. and British collectors and left the country. Migs, Yak's, Polikarpovs, LAGG's, and P-63's have all ended up over here.
Second, if someone was to start a collection therre they would simply purchase what they wanted from a museum, using the corrupt system of government. They certainly wouldn't pay retail.

Last , as far as flying multi engine versus single engine, there tend to be two somewhat different styles for flying. Most twin engines are less fun. more procedures and checklist oriented. They tend to have more than twice the operating costs per hour, and yearly maintenance is much more costly. More pilots , crews and hours in training are required.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:12 pm 

marine air wrote:
FWIW. Just a guess but doubt it's going to Russia. They have no warbird movement. Second, the warbirds that have been restored over there, and there may be a few being restored as we speak have all been for U.S. and British collectors and left the country. Migs, Yak's, Polikarpovs, LAGG's, and P-63's have all ended up over here.
Second, if someone was to start a collection therre they would simply purchase what they wanted from a museum, using the corrupt system of government. They certainly wouldn't pay retail.

Last , as far as flying multi engine versus single engine, there tend to be two somewhat different styles for flying. Most twin engines are less fun. more procedures and checklist oriented. They tend to have more than twice the operating costs per hour, and yearly maintenance is much more costly. More pilots , crews and hours in training are required.

I tend to agree with this statement. I have no knowledge of where the A-20 is going, but I think it would be highly unlikely that it would go to Russia for the above reasons. In addition to this, I believe that Monino has substantial remains of at least one A-20, if not more. Also, I've heard there are several substantial unrecovered A-20 wrecks in the wilds of Russia. I would think it would be much easier to procure from "in house" and restore "in house" and save lots of money and time/effort/expense on importing a foreign aircraft into Russia. Also, as mentioned above, Russia really has no warbird movement there to speak of. Sure, they have a few "one-off" recoveries to some of the national museums and such, but there is no wide spread interest in W.W.II aviation like there is in the Western World. If there was, the production line of I-15's, I-16's, I-153's and Yak's would have stayed there. I believe every single one of those aircraft ended up outside of Russia and/or the former Soviet republics.

I might be wrong, but that's just my gut instinct talking here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:17 pm 
KiwiZac

I have no problem believing it's going to Russia. There may be no warbird movement but Google the name Vadim Zadorozhny. As soon as Russia was mentioned in connection to this his name came to mind.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:54 pm 

KiwiZac wrote:
I have no problem believing it's going to Russia. There may be no warbird movement but Google the name Vadim Zadorozhny. As soon as Russia was mentioned in connection to this his name came to mind.
Interesting, thanks for the name - I hadn't heard of it before. That private collection appears to be a non-flying museum. If I'm not mistaken, the A-20 was offered for sale as a full restoration to flying condition. Of course, none of this means anything concrete, but I would think if the A-20 were going to Russia, it would be to fly, as was promoted in its offer of sale. Since there are several A-20 "projects" for sale around the world that would be easier and cheaper to export to Russia as statics than this "full restoration to flying condition" project as it was originally offered up for sale, it doesn't make sense for it to go to Mr. Zadorozhny, unless he plans on that aircraft being the first in his collection to fly.

Whoever bought it, I don't care. I just hope that it is restored to flying condition and maintained in flying condition for the world to see and admire. Whether it's in the U.S., Europe, or Russia, I just hope the A-20 goes to a good flying home. With only one A-20 flying in the world today, the type is severely under-represented at airshows and flying displays. We need more flying A-20's! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
marine air wrote:

Incorrect, there is growing warbird movement, particularly through one collector who has a number of flying warbirds ( two MiG-3, one of each of the Polikarpov fighters, Yak-3 and soon an IL-2.). He is actively sourcing aircraft, including bombers. A decommissioned airfield has been purchased and the plan is to create a similar set up to Duxford, Wanaka etc.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I would think that a Russian collector would be the best place for this amazing and unique Yak 1 restoration powered by an original Klimov engine
http://www.yak-1.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzcAccNLMew

Andy