Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 am 

bdk wrote:
I recollect being told some years ago that Tallichet was asking $100K for a fiberglass Thunderbolt with a detailed fiberglass engine.

The Lysander for the 'Allied' film was £200K.

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 am 

She is off to the paint shop this afternoon.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Martin, what's the final destination for this one - public display or private collection?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 am 

Chris Brame wrote:
Martin, what's the final destination for this one - public display or private collection?

Sorry for the delay, but we are working 6 days a week on this and only now have got the time to update the thread. Chris, she is going on public display with a group in the centre of England and then hopefully will tour the UK and Europe after that.

Went into the paint shop yesterday and although only one colour has been added over the primer, it has taken on a new identity. As gone from a fibreglass model to something far more realistic. Adding two more colours today. And this is as far as we go on here with the scheme until it is finished. That is the customer's wishes and we must adhere to them.

Thanks for everyone's interest in our project, it is so much appreciated.

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Love the way the cowl fiber shows the surface warping of aluminium skins!!!!

Was a real nose used for the mold????

Sure seems like it!

If the case which bird was the template?4

Amazing works. Congratulations to all the team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 am 

Michel Lemieux wrote:
Love the way the cowl fiber shows the surface warping of aluminium skins!!!!

Was a real nose used for the mold????

Sure seems like it!

If the case which bird was the template?4

Amazing works. Congratulations to all the team.

Thank you. Yes, indeed the original cowling was from a real 109, the parts kindly loaned by Craig Charleston. Going to be very busy over the next few days as the project has to be finished by Monday. She is currently in the paint shop and wow, its amazing what a few coats of paint can do. Looks totally different from what we have been working on, over the last few months. Will see if am allowed to take photos when it is rolled out. I so want to, but it's all down to the owner's permission of course.

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:26 am 

Awaiting their turn to be finished and then painted.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 am 

Painting day today. Fuselage is all finished and is now being weathered. It's the turn of the control surfaces today and we are especially pleased with the rudder, hopefully the first of many. The wings go in tomorrow and then after that, it's just a case of sticking it all together and delivering to it's new owner. What could be more simple!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hard to believe its fibreglass! And I see it's got a yellow nose :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 am 

Fouga23 wrote:
Hard to believe its fibreglass! And I see it's got a yellow nose :)

It is very strange. You work on the basic shell for months and it seems just a big lump of plastic, with no identity, no character, nothing and then the minute the first coats of paints go on, it becomes something else, takes on an identity. Something real, something more than fibreglass. It is hard to explain, but hope you understand. Now, when I go into the hangar there is a 109 sitting there. A few weeks ago and I might have ignored it, but now every time I am in there, I have to stop and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the build. We truly have some clever people working for us (total strength 10).

I so wish I could show you what she looks like now, but I can't. I am not allowed to. But hopefully my camera will go off by mistake, some time early next week. I hope you all, like me will be impressed.

Thanks,

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It looks really good Martin.
Thanks so much for sharing all you have with us regarding this very cool project.
When you can share a pic of her resplendent in her full colours, we'll all get to enjoy seeing her come to life.
I understand what you mean.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Heheheheheh......

Just keep up the teasers......

And tap yourself on the shoulder every moment.....cuz U did an amazing job......

Well deserved T6flyer! Getting excited from a recreation versus the real thing made me ask ''meself''......a few questions......

Yes I do get the fun of $ spent to get metal flying.....

But you guys got the essence of what I like without metal.......and it looked like a REALLY fun project....

Questions:
- Is it more fun to participate in a static repro project like yours....??? Non restricted by regulations?
- Is the community of enthusiast folks more accessible and will they support the project?

I only have to look at the Luftwaffe reproductions done at POF....reproduction is an amazing part of the business......

Please shoot me down.....a bit like we reproduce full scale plastic dinosaurs......It is a business in some way.

Just wondering at all the effort and discussions we have about recreating extinct birds.....

But do they have to be the real recreation to make the essence....?????

T6flyer....tks U just made me TOTALLY rethink what static is all about!!!! U did get the essence right even with fiberglass...congratulations!!!!

Sincerely

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:59 am 

Michel,

Thank you for the kind words. This is our first 109 and has taken almost 4 years to build (was put on the back boiler for a while, whilst we built 4 F-35s for the Royal Navy, but that is another story!). It's been a challenge, we have all learnt a lot and after that, onto the next one.

The 109 we are building at the moment is for a British re-enactment group that already have a Spitfire Mk.9 and want a 109 to accompany it. Built from original blueprint drawings and with molds taken from real 109s, including the wonderful flying re-creations from Craig Charleston, we should have this, our first 109 completed in a few days time. A very technically advanced design for its years, the 109 has been something of a challenge for all of us as it is so much more intricate than it's British foe, especially with the engine and it's corresponding hub and rings. But with the skill of our craftsmen and a vast technical library behind us, this will be a very accurate replica, just like all the others that we make. As people say do it right, or don't do it at all.

No one else does what we do. Other companies make Spitfires and that's all, but we can create almost anything and enjoy every moment of it's creation, being true aviation enthusiasts. I myself, have spent 35 years with the T-6 in various roles and positions and the majority of the staff have an aviation background. Such is our dedication is that we are all in work today when we should be enjoying the weekend. But its close now and we want to see it finished. I'm just the technical chap, anyone could do that. It's our talented craftsmen that have built the 109. Wish I could do what they do.

Best wishes,

Martin

We are thinking of doing a Stuka next! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:19 pm 
KiwiZac

T6flyer wrote:
We are thinking of doing a Stuka next! :)

I was hoping I'd get through to you :supz:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next