Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I agree with your sentiments Eric.
I have said that this airshow has been just kind of running on momentum for the last few years.
It seems like the momentum is running out.

I'm going unless the weather is a total bust out.
Like you say, more to see friends than anything.
If I don't see you, let's get in touch.
This has to be the year to shoot 'MAD, 'STP and 'NGS together.
Obviously, you're the guy to do it.

Love to Berni

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:00 pm 

Latest info I have from a reliable source

Tobul and his Corsair are out.

Mark Murphy will be attended in God Speed ( Ex Sky Boss )

Fourth engine not yet installed on B-17 so with 4 weeks to go she is still a non flyer.

*******************The following are rumors only so please keep this in mind *************************

Canadian based PBY. CWH?
American Air Power P-40 and TBM
B-25 numerous possibilities here Tom Duffy maybe as he is a regular attendee?

********************************************************************************************************

IF God Speed attends and IF a couple of other rumored a/c attend then I will go one day as long as the weather is excellent.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I helped them with contact info on the CWH Canso but have no confirmation if they are going to hire the CWH. Murphy's Corsair is interesting for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:12 am 

I still can't figure out why they pushed this show back one weekend. Based on a sparse aircraft list, it certainly wasn't for better warbird availability. I'll re-echo Eric's sentiment... I've been attending since 1988 and it is tough to see what has happened to my favorite airshow. I live about an hour a day, so I'll be there for arrivals and at least one airshow day. Don't blame my Canadian friends at all for not coming. That is alot of loonies for very few warbirds. :lol:

This all makes me wonder if anyone closely associated with this airshow even looks at WIX. If not... what a shame. Just look at what the folks from Thunder Over Michigan are able to do on here.

Oh well. At least this will get my camera gear primed for Osh Kosh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm 

I too am very surprised at the date change. It has always been the same weekend as the Geneseo Rotary Summer Festival and SUNY Geneseo reunion weekend as far as I can remember. That is July 7 & 8 this year. The show was on that weekend till it was changed. I wonder why it was.

I don't think there's too much interest in what the WIX and other enthusiasts think anymore. Austin Wadsworth has since the 1980's been the driving force behind the NWM and the airshow. If there is anyone who cares about a great warbird show and what the fans think it is him. The Geneseo NWM/WOE airshow was world class. After the breakup, where the flying collection of the NWM became the WOE and the show moved to Elmira, Austin plugged along and started the 1941 HAG. He put the Geneseo show back on the map slowly at first. I first became aware of it in 2001-2003. By the time I got up there again in 2005, they had 2 B-17's 2 Corsairs 4 P-51's Spitfire Hurricane 4 B-25's etc... The show just kept getting better. I remember 2007 we had 3 SPits including Bill Greenwood's, 2008 5 P-40's, 2009 the CAF Hellcat. The glory days were back. 2011 and 2012 were a bit on the light side. However 2013 it was back with the CWH Lanc, Spit and Hurricane. A year later the Mossie and a P-38, and 2015 my last time there the Sea Harrier and Shelton wildcat.

All of a sudden there seems to be less interest in putting on a world class show. Austin is getting on in years and I don't believe he is too involved in the planning anymore. I have a feeling he put some of his own money into those previous shows and now whoever is in charge wants the show to pay for itself. It almost seems like they are waiting to see how much they are getting from advance ticket sales before they commit to booking aircraft. This year there has been no effort to plug this airshow and generate interest. Very sad. Geneseo is THE best spot for a warbird airshow! Look what happened this year with POF almost not having a show because of airport tennants. You have Yagen's Wings over the Beach, great grass strip, amazing facility, but now show to speak of, just take offs, landings and high fly-bys because of obnoxious neighbors.

We'll see what happens....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I believe Austin's daughter Naomi runs the show now. This could be why the shows are wavering and not as good anymore. Though I can be wrong of course. (Anyone in the know please correct me.) It certainly is sad to see one of the greatest shows drop so far down.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was told that Naomi is currently not involved.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm 

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, so here goes...

I am still involved with the museum, but not as much as I once was (wish it wasn't so.) I've been focused on building a career as a pilot (slowly, LOL), and what little bit of time I get in at the NWM is always a treat, privilege, and pleasure. Flying the L-16 is something that means the world to me, and it's great to get Warbird(bug) practice in on our field.

So, as I admitted to not being very involved, I still help as I can. From what I have seen/heard in regards to our show, the main issue is (of course)...money! Aviation in general, warbirds/airshows in particular, need money to fly (literally.) I don't have to tell this to any of you, you know it already. I bring it up because we really need help in building up sponsors. As you see on our site, we have a few very dedicated ones so far. But, we really need more.

Aside from funding, we have seen a "changing of the guard(s)" in terms of airshow staff and volunteers. The people who plan and work the show are ones who have not done this for years, like those before them...but they are very capable. These folks are younger, but just as in-tune with what the "old" Geneseo Airshow used to be. Believe me, they hear you. I'd love nothing better than to see another bomber reunion, and I'd volunteer to help plan if proposed.

I "get" the frustrations, and I myself have been a bit peeved with our lack of communication regarding "what's coming?" Furthermore, I dislike the "snarky" replies I've seen from fellow volunteers on social media in reply to these requests (it's your right to ask!) The main reason for this issue is how we've been "burned" in the past by no-shows. That, and the public voices displeasure regardless. That said, if all the other shows do it, maybe we should too. It's easy to look at other shows and say "why can't Geneseo do that?" Again, money and manpower is the key. And, again, we're working on both. I will say, in regards to manpower, I have *never* seen a crew as energetic, motivated, and passionate about this museum and our planes as much as the crew we have now. In the last 2-3 years alone, we've seen more new volunteers come in and get right to work.

Now, it's often said that to build a business/brand, you need to start from within before you can branch out and grow. So, in this example, we are still operating a museum, but the airshow is a branch of our museum. Back when the museum was strong, (80s-90s), the show was too, right?! This is why I think, in terms of the future, we will grow our airshow again. Why do I think this? Well, if you've checked out our Facebook page, you've seen the countless updates we post on aircraft maintenance/flight, public events, tours, facility renovations, vehicle restorations, et al. We're getting stronger from within, thanks to these awesome new, younger, helpers. This strength will carry over to the airshow once again, it will just take a little more time.

So, with all that said, I hope many of you still do consider coming to the show this year. There will still be warbirds, great people, beautiful turf. If you do come, be sure to say "hi" to me. I'll be working in the "tower" for ground control, and also flying the L-16. I hope I addressed some of your questions and concerns.

Volunteer - National Warplane Museum
Commercial & "Warbug" (Aspiring Warbird) Pilot
Project Lead - LG44 ('Lucy Gal' / 'Yellow 44')

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi Austin,

Thanks for the update... :wink:

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 pm 

Thanks, Austin, a little communication goes a long way. Hoping for blue skies for the show.
The FB page reports are great!
https://www.facebook.com/warplanemuseum/?pnref=lhc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:32 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Austin.
Great to hear from you. Looking forward to saying hello.
Maybe this will be the year we get to fly together.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Is there still a dinner Friday and Saturday Night on the field?

We will be going to the show Saturday and Showing up Friday afternoon at some point.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 pm 

Last year there was a dinner on Friday (steak) and Saturday (chicken).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm 

2017 Schedule:
http://nwmairshow.com/schedule/#Friday
More food info at bottom of page:
http://nwmairshow.com/attractions/#sea-harrier-aircraft
A bit confusing, I know:
https://tix.extremetix.com/webtix/4215?salesRef=

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So they finally put up the necessary info, with only two weeks to go before the show. Listen, I understand running an airshow is a huge endeavor and I'm not trying to bash the people in charge at all. I will give them this year as a mulligan. I can only hope a lot of unexpected aircraft show up to fill the void. But they've gotta do a better job at figuring this out for next year. I only say this because I long to see a huge well-executed show again at Geneseo. It can happen. Its just the proper infrastructure that needs to be in place.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next