Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:22 pm 

I would certainly add my friend Bob Tullius to the list. Owning a small collection of warbirds including the Donald Duck P51 Mustang which was ultimately donated to a museum in England to last for generations to come.

Last edited by Silverplate on Sun May 07, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Are Scott Rose or Jack Cook (listed twice even!) more or less deserving?

Of course they are ... why not? Unless there's only a certain level of importance that is being discussed in this thread. But then again I would have gone on the lines of "List of trailblazing Warbird People" or "List of Influential Warbird People". The word "important" throws us all (who care about Warbirds) in there if you really want to push it. Although as I stated, I do get what the OP is striving for, and I as well think of it as a noble endeavor, but it doesn't take a Warbird driver, finder, owner, restorer, etc. etc. to only be labeled as "Important Warbird People". H*ll there's people (fans) down at Chino standing in the rain that are important.

As for S. Rose, yes indeed he's important. He's create this WIX site that has been extremely entertaining, baffling, educational, conflicting, a source of conversation, sharing of knowledge and ideas, usually a place that offers the latest in Warbird news and photos, knuckleheads like me being allowed to post old harvested photos and on and on. Of course he's been important. If he isn't than why are we all still here typing away about Warbirds (usually anyway)

J Cook? well as I see it, Cook has been one of those dudes who seems to really know his Warbird stuff. There's been many here and elsewhere that have praised his contributions both on WIX and around the Warbird circles and there's certainly more than one currently active Warbird that has his research and historic knowledge painted all over it. Cook has also been very active for years with his work for and with the veterans who flew these old airplanes during the war. I'd say he's been important.

Like I stated, unless the OP has some sort of level of "Warbird Importance" he's shooting for, there's a massive amount of important Warbird people out there that most of us don't even know exist who are "deserving" indeed. No matter what they positively do Warbird wise, as long as they keep doing it, their all deserving of importance.

Wouldn't good ole Adolph Hitler be Important too then ? ... 8) :hide:

This is my opinion of course and I'm fine with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:15 pm 

Reference the listing I made a couple of days ago, I did some further checking and found limited information which may finally eliminate or confirm some of the name;

Louis Anderson - Was a pre World War II collector and had several byplanes that flew

Jack Arnold - Was an Ontrario Canada collector - P-40, Yale and more

Cameron Logan - Ontario Canada - Scrap man - Scrapped large amount of Hurricanes, but sold many parts - maybe sections - don't know

Paul Pfoutz - West Alexandria Ohio - Had collection of BT-13, BT-15 types - incomplete, Yale, C-45, and others

Jack Taft - Jackson Michigan - Recovered P-39 from Pacific island, Yale - don't know of his total collection

These names may be new -

Franklin Carson of Carson Helicopters - Perkasie Penna - I have to believe that some of the military helicopters he has or hasn't used are among other users

Robert Dart - Dart Glider Airport, Mayville New York - sort of long shot, but he has museum on site

Robert Diemert - western Canada - 1960's-70's collector - had a couple of Zero's, other types - an early restorer

Ron Otto - Northern Wisconsin then Arkansas - Well known parts dealer - had partial airframe used by Steve Wittman, Cessna Bobcat sections, SNV, others

Great Thread... 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
Like I stated, unless the OP has some sort of level of "Warbird Importance" he's shooting for, there's a massive amount of important Warbird people out there that most of us don't even know exist who are "deserving" indeed. No matter what they positively do Warbird wise, as long as they keep doing it, their all deserving of importance.

I do plan on having some sort requisite qualifications for inclusion; although I'm not sure what they are yet. There are probably at least a few people on here who wouldn't make the cut. That being said, I tend to be more inclusionist than exclusionist.

However, I'm welcoming any submissions here because I don't want anyone to hold back. At this point it's more just collecting names rather than deciding who's in and who's out. Plus, even if they don't make it on a final list (if that ever actually happens) it's interesting to see some of the people in the lesser roles - it's kind of nice to be able to applaud people that don't always get recognition they should. Also, it's a great historical reference for the future, and others who may wish to make their own lists may have different criteria for inclusion. Also, also, it's interesting to see what different people consider "important". For example, I included a lot of academics and museum curators on my initial list, but hadn't really thought of all the people from dedicated restoration shops.

TriangleP wrote:
Its an interesting idea compiling a list of a who's who of influencers and contributors. The past, the present and future come together.

Well put; I like it. Also, thanks!

TriangleP wrote:
I think the list will continue to grow as the WIX brain trust keeps thinking of more.

Trust me, you guys have already blown my mind with the number of suggestions! :shock:

Dave Hadfield wrote:
The list would be more useful if it was divided into 2 categories: Active, and Historic, with the latter being those who are deceased, or completely-retired from the field.

That's an interesting suggestion. My first reaction is that it make the list take a good deal more work, since the list would have to be constantly updated as statuses change. Also, determining whether or not someone is considered "active" may be difficult. However, I like it and it may have some merit. I'll have to think about it.

Dave Hadfield wrote:
An Active list would actually have considerable use. Parts-trading comes to mind, as well as special projects and combined activities. Parts manufacturing. Places and people to involve as part of long-distance Tours -- synergies. Flight training on odd types. Maintenance on odd engines.

I was thinking of the list more in biographical or encyclopedic terms, than as a directory. However, feel free to start your own based on this thread!

Dave Hadfield wrote:
The whole idea in general is a good one.

Thanks. I'm glad you agree. :D

Bentwings wrote:
Was Kermit Weeks on the list?

Yep!

Woodsy Airfield wrote:
Reference the listing I made a couple of days ago, I did some further checking and found limited information which may finally eliminate or confirm some of the name

Thanks for refining it. While I said I had no qualifications for submission a few paragraphs above, I actually do have one: that at least one person considered them worthy of inclusion. This is intentionally a very low bar, again, for reasons stated above, but I wanted to make sure there was at least the most basic consideration taken when suggesting a person. That's why I didn't initially include your list - I wanted to make sure there was some thought put into suggesting them. (Plus, some of the names were vague - to the point it wasn't possible to identify who they are - and that makes them of little use.)

Woodsy Airfield wrote:
Great Thread... 8)

Thanks!

Anyway, I've added your revised mentions to the list below.

Further Mentions
  • Ray Anderson
  • Craig McBurney
  • Bob Hood
  • Connie Edwards
  • Jim Harker
  • Patrick Harker
  • Chris Harker
  • John Roxbury
  • Jay Wisler
  • Mark Thomson
  • Ellie Sallingboe
  • Nick Grace
  • Caroline Grace
  • Charles Church
  • Peter Arnold
  • Tony Ditheridge
  • Sir William Roberts
  • Dick Melton
  • Richard Shuttleworth
  • Doug Bianchi
  • Tony Bianchi
  • Ralph Hull
  • Dennis Bradley
  • Bob Tullis
  • Louis Anderson
  • Jack Arnold
  • Cameron Logan
  • Paul Pfoutz
  • Jack Taft
  • Franklin Carson
  • Robert Dart
  • Robert Diemert
  • Ron Otto

That's an additional 33 - which brings the total to 231+ people!

It really goes to show how big the warbird/historic aviation community is. I've always thought of the number of warbird people as pretty small, but if this list is just a small percentage of those involved, then its much bigger than I thought.

EDIT: A few more I missed from a previous comment:

Dick Reade
Javier Arango

Authors
Gordon Swanborough
William Larkins
James Gilbert
Michael O'Leary

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:58 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Maybe add Earl Reinert's brother Ray Reinert - I remember him as the quieter half of the pair, but he had owned some warbirds as well (FM-2 and P-40N IIRC). The three Reinert siblings (Earl, Ray, and their sister) shared a big house in Arlington Heights.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

My Additions,
Carl Schmieder, Board of Directors Warbirds of America, one of the founders of the F.A.S.T. program, T-6 Lead of the huge T-6 formations at Oshkosh, Leader of the Cactus Squadron Flight Team, first assistant wing Leader of the AZ Wing of the Confederate Airforce, Typed in B-17 and 749 Connie, restorer of T-6s and builder of the P-64 replica in Thailand and mentor to myself (A&P, IA and Private) and others who earned their A&Ps, IAs, and Pilots certs

Vern Raburn, Board of Directors Warbirds of America, Cactus Squadron Flight Team, past Owner of the MATS Connie, A-26 Rude Invader, B-25 Axis Nightmare

Larry Higgins, Thunderbird Aviation, restoration of and operator of T-33s, the only civilian F-8 Crusader, first civilian OV-1 Mohawk, T-37 and A-37, HA-1112 Buchon, R&D for the B-2 program using A-3Ds and T-33s

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Preston and Sue Parish- Founders of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and made a certain Pink P-40 famous.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:11 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The T-34 conversions to larger engines and the battle to fix the wing spar issues was led by Earle Parks in Amarillo, TX. His shop is now run by Floyd Houdashell. His first IO-520 conversion was N1BD. I had the privilege of working with him to help build and then fly it The airplane is still at Floyd's shop in restoration.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am 
Senior Moderator

How about: Some other current Texas folks.

Rick Harris
Rick Sharpe
Larry Gregory
Brad Pilgrim
Randy Ball

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am 

I'd add Gene and Russ Strine, for bringing us the eventual sole flying P-61.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In the interviening period since my last post, I've come across a few more myself:

• Charles Klessig [1]
  • Harry Whereatt [2]
  • Richard G. J. Nash [3]

Now, on to the other suggestions:

Matt Gunsch wrote:
Vern Raburn...B-25 Axis Nightmare

Hey! I've heard of that plane! :wink:

Coincidentally enough, I just contacted Mr. Tom Reilly a few days ago to ask if he could provide any more info on it.

Warbirdnerd wrote:
Preston and Sue Parish- Founders of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and made a certain Pink P-40 famous.

I already had Sue, but hadn't included Preston.

A26 Special K wrote:
His shop is now run by Floyd Houdashell.

I'm not sure if you were suggesting Mr. Houdashell as well, so I've left him out for the time being.

Further Mentions
  • Ray Reinert
  • Carl Schmieder
  • Vern Raburn
  • Larry Higgins
  • Preston Parish
  • Earle Parks
  • Rick Harris
  • Rick Sharpe
  • Larry Gregory
  • Brad Pilgrim
  • Randy Ball
  • Gene Strine
  • Russ Strine

With the 3 new people I came across and the 13 suggested above, the total now stands at 247+.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:07 am 

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ernie Simmons yet...

36+ NA-64 Yales, at least 8 Fairey Swordfish and a Lysander (now hanging at Udvar-Hazy) would be pots and pans had it not been for Ernie and his 'grand scheme' to sell them back to the RCAF at a profit.

EDIT: Didn't notice his name on the original listing on page one...my bad.

Also worth mentioning is Vince O'Connor.

One quick correction, too. It's Charley Fox, not Charlie Fox.

:partyman:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

-What about Bob Hoover? :shock:

-I wouldn't include Chuck Yeager as he insulted the warbird community on more then one occasion! :shock: I know it would seem pretty harsh to exclude him from the list, but he hasn't done anything positive for the warbird movement but promote his name and brand and that has done nothing except get people to learn what a Bell X-1 is.

-I would also like to see added our very own Tom Friedman. He has collected and brokered some VERY significant historical aviation artifacts. Im talking Amelia Earhart stuff and much more. :o Tom sure saved lots of historical items plus he authored several articles for several warbird mags. He deserves being included as well.

-Al Casby-collector and restorer of F7U Cutless and parts.

-Vern Raburn-saver and owner and pilot of C-121 MATS Connie.

-Jon Blanchette of upstate NY. Saved several migs and a F9F Cougar.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:07 pm 

Jim & Joe Tobul - Corsair
Don Plumb- P-40, P-51 ect.
Jim Mott- Sea Fury Racer Super Chief
Brain Baird- Sea Fury Rescuer & Warbird Pilot
Again , sorry if these were already mentioned, Thank you

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 pm 

Would Moon Spillers be important enough to make the list? He pulled an early model Mustang wreck out of Alaska and returned it to flying condition. Now operating as "Polar Bear" Looks a bit like a B model with an Allison engine but it's still all Mustang.

Last edited by Elwyn on Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next