Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Spitfire VR Cockpit
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 am 

Back on Spitfires now and for the last three weeks we have been building a VR Spitfire cockpit with Occulus Rift for a customer in America. Instead of buying commercially available controls we are building our own and so far we have a lovely Spitfire control column, throttle box and undercarriage lever. All connects up through a junction box and then with USB cables connects to a standard PC. Cockpit is built to the same standards as our other replicas, the budding pilot climbs in, and then complete with Mae West places on the VR helmet and sees again the cockpit, but this time with wings.

All beyond me, but should prove to be popular and perhaps the start of something new for us. We have found the flight simulator market a very viable source of possible customers and we hope to be able to refine the build and therefore produce more if this takes off (sorry!).

Last edited by T6flyer on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Spitfire VR Cockpit
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 pm 

Never thought of a VR helmet!

I was going to mount three flat screens left, right and forward and wire myself into various flight sims. I also wanted to link the drivers seat from my wife's car to the rudder pedals and control yoke. It has more than six axes of movement and with the right linkage you could simulate the various fly-by-the-seat of -your-pants sensations including G-forces with the seat belt cinched across your chest. The only one your would need to do some work on is a roll.

Ran into a guy at a Dayton AirShow many years ago who wanted to open a franchise called "Lunch and Launch" with several linked simulators and a sandwich shop on the side. Great for corporate events etc...less messy than paintball...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:44 am 

I was into simulators big time for years and years, the pinnacle of my involvement being a consultant to A2A on their recent T-6G project. Since that was released, I somehow lost all interest and donated my kit and software to a local Museum and Air Training Corps Squadron respectively.

Now at work, we are seriously looking into developing VR as the way to go. There is a massive flight sim market out there and lots and lots of possibilities. All new to us, but we are learning quickly. This cockpit section is the first one to be shipped and after that there are 4 more going to good homes. We recently attended a flightsim show and upon asking various people, most stated that they would like a cockpit of their own. So, what you see above can be a little on the expensive side as a complete unit, but we hope to diversify and help everyone, offering various builds and sizes.

A wonderful idea that from one of our customers was to produce just the windscreen of say a Spitfire, 109 or Mustang and then mount that on a frame where the user could place a monitor underneath. A2A allow for split screens, so instrument panel below and outside view above. Just a thought. Will make a prototype and see if it works or not.

For some reason, I can at times be a little late going home as the software has to be tested of course. But VR isn't for everyone, some people feel very ill after a few minutes and some can be fine for hours. I myself took a little time to adjust to it all, after flying an Extra in Aerofly2 and had to drive home with all the car windows open as felt so ill!!!

Going back for one more go......

Cheers,

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Cool - Wendover museum has thought about how to set up something like this - I will follow how your project goes - would you mind shooting a PM to me regarding costs?

All the best,

Tom P.
Historic Wendover Airfield

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:54 am 

wendovertom wrote:
Cool - Wendover museum has thought about how to set up something like this - I will follow how your project goes - would you mind shooting a PM to me regarding costs?

All the best,

Tom P.
Historic Wendover Airfield

PM sent yesterday. Any questions please by all means just ask. It's all a bit of a black art to me, but am sure if I don't know the answer, one of our computer 'boffins' will.

Today, we are in testing the controls before they are fitted into the cockpit. Wires and cables everywhere, but all looking good. Throttle works lovely and the undercarriage selector has a nice 'clunk' to it. But for the average 'pilot', the latter will not be used as we are primarily going to set it up in an arcade setting, destroying a ground convoy and then a dogfight scenario against transports and Stukas. For the more advanced user, then the facility will be available for take off and landings.

And then it will all have to be tested time and time again before being shipped to the West Coast. At least that will make overtime enjoyable! :)

Best wishes to all (more photos next week),

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:25 am 

All is going well and she should be leaving us by the end of the week - that is if we stop detailing the airframe and stop 'playing' at being Spitfire Aces (I've yet to make a few holes in a 109, let alone shoot one down!).

The controls have all been finished and are awaiting final placement, canopy, rearview mirror and gunsight go in this evening, and then tomorrow, fingers crossed, everything else is added. Conduits have been made for all the electronic wiring, which all goes into one little matchbox sized box and that then into the PC.

And after this, we start all over again as we have another on order and then options on 4 more. Not that we have anything else to do as the Mustang needs to be completed, a Hurricane needs new wings and 4 Spitfires need to be created. Never a dull moment here!

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Looking excellent Martin! Your work on the T-6 is appreciated every time I get in the cockpit. Having only a few hours in a T-6 (and then only in the back seat), I still immediately feel at home and it has every creak, bump, and thump the real one did, so it only makes it easier to suspend disbelief for a few minutes and just enjoy flying. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 am 

Almost finished. Just a few little parts to paint then cleaned and into the container for it departs tomorrow. Our own Spitfire controls worked well with the software (even though I still couldn't hit anything) and all seems good to go. It's been a completely new project for us, something that we have not done before, but it's been a good project and everyone has enjoyed the real experience. The virtual one starts next week when it arrives in Los Angeles.

Wouldn't mind doing a P-51 next or a T-6 (and thanks to Capflyer for the kind words, so much appreciated). The A2A T-6 and a fullsize replica cockpit? Even with an instructor in the rear seat. Now that would be cool! :)

Will post some photos later today (PhotoBucket doesn't want to play ball at the moment!)

Best wishes,

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 am 

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:09 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

T6flyer wrote:
But VR isn't for everyone, some people feel very ill after a few minutes and some can be fine for hours.

VR sickness is an issue that will have to be overcome by the VR industry. It's essentially the same as motion or sea sickness and is a result of your inner ear not feeling what your eyesight is experiencing. One of the interesting VR applications is on roller coasters, where the motion jives with the visuals. I would love to see a turret gunner/roller coaster sim!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:22 pm 

T6flyer wrote:

Martin

Our heroic, intrepid defender of the homeland, stares skyward in search of the of traffic from Home Chain Sector 1. The hours spent on alert have taken their toll on his body, but not his spirit and I, like all the other WIXer's, want to know...when can I have MY turn?

When will you be able to let us know the customer?

C2j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:23 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

T6flyer wrote:
Martin

Very Cool
:drink3:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:02 am 

Thanks to everyone for their interest in this project and your very kind comments. We have done nothing like this before, just building fullsize replicas before, but there has been a lot of interest in this and we are starting the build of another, which in turn will act as a demonstrator for both our builds and the VR systems.

Scott mentioned about VR sickness. We have tried our two systems out on over 50 people. Some take to it, like a duck to water and others have to remove the googles even after just a few seconds. I, have been flying for over 30 years now and when I first had a go with VR a year or so ago, I felt so sick after about 20 minutes of 'flying' that had to drive home with my car windows open, I felt that bad. Last time I felt that in the air was in the back of a Yak52 :)

Hopefully when this does arrive at it's new home....which is to be Warner Bros in California (promoting the new Dunkirk film) it will be put to good use and people will be able to experience for themselves what it was like to fly a Spitfire Mk.1 in 1940. It isn't perfect, I know that, but a lot of work has gone into the project and we have had some wonderful assistance from John Stevens and Steve Mullen of the South West Flight Simulator Group in creating the controls. Without their expertise, it simply wouldn't have happened. There are some very clever people out there, just like the craftsmen that we have that build our replica airframes. The marriage of these two groups of people has gone well and we look forward to the possibility of producing more of these cockpits in the future.

As I have said before (doesn't he go on!), it doesn't have to be a Spitfire virtually (sorry) anything is feasible and with the people that we have and their skills, we hope to put that to the test again and again.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Martin
GateguardsUK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:13 am 

Goodbye...... (leaving us within the hour)

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 pm 
KiwiZac

Brilliant, Martin, just brilliant. It's been very interesting to follow this project both here and on Facebook.

Forgive me if this has been covered: does the canopy close? Something as simple as pulling it shut while wrestling with the stick and the chassis lever on takeoff really appeals to my inner warbird pilot!

VR technology has progressed in leaps and bounds but one thing would kill it for me, and that's not being able to see my/the pilot's hand working the switches. I'm sure we'll get there one day but in the meantime I'll wait and watch.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22