Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:59 am 

Hangar 10 decided to develop a QEC system to allow them to fly their G-12 2-seater either with a DB 605 or a Merlin 500-45. Though the G-12 did fly with the DB previously, this is their first official flight with the Merlin. Enjoy the video provided by hangar 10. More info on their homepage, or on their FB site.

Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdkz17tmkg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm 

Wish they would go with the Allison mounting system that Erickson used on theirs, as the Buchon cowling leaves a lot to be desired in aesthetic terms.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JFS61 wrote:
Wish they would go with the Allison mounting system that Erickson used on theirs, as the Buchon cowling leaves a lot to be desired in aesthetic terms.

It's my hope that more Allison QECs will be built up and installed on the majority of Buchons currently flying. We need more accurate looking flying 109s at a third of the operating cost!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:19 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
JFS61 wrote:

It's my hope that more Allison QECs will be built up and installed on the majority of Buchons currently flying. We need more accurate looking flying 109s at a third of the operating cost!

Without regard of the cost of the conversion, and without hard evidece: I read on a German Forum, that the operating cost of a DB is about 4 times the cost of a Merlin. I do not know how Merlins and Allisons compare costwise. But the Allison might be even cheaper per hour. So yes, I can understand why they did it, but with a DB it is still..... special.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:16 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

Merlin Overhauls are, or can be 200k plus...the Allison is considerably less, but still costly. Either way, when you get to that level, money is usually not an issue. The DB is in it's own category of money not being an issue, and I think Mike Nixon is still the only one overhauling them. With the G-12, having the Merlin as an option reduces your per hour cost to probably $1,100 to $1,600...of nothing breaks and it stays on the runway :)

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Why not build up an Allison QEC too and then it could be flown with any of the three! Merlin powered for training future Buchon pilots, Allison powered for giving rides and general airshow appearances, and the DB for those really special occasions! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

C VEICH wrote:
Why not build up an Allison QEC too and then it could be flown with any of the three! Merlin powered for training future Buchon pilots, Allison powered for giving rides and general airshow appearances, and the DB for those really special occasions! :lol:

Very nice idea. Though I am not in the know I´d think the attaching points for the Allison might be different ones than either for the DB or the Merlin. My personal guess is, they just wanted to get her airborne reliably and fast, so they went for the Merlin option. (I read somewhere they had low oil pressure issues during the previous (3 ?) DB testflights) I´d think the Allison conversion wasn´t finished / proven at that time. But anyway, will it be worth the effort to have a 3 different engine QEC system? Was it ever done? Though there was a 2 different engine QEC system intended for the Ta 152, changing between the Jumo 213 series and the DB 603 series (everything firewall forward, complete engine, oil cooler and cowlings (neccessary due to right / left hand charger).

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:27 am 

I rather like the Merlin/G-12 look.

Sorry! :D

Daz