Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Jack Randal buying Tulsa Harvey Young Airport

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Does anyone know about this purchase, or more about Mr. Randal? I live in Tulsa and am very curious about his plans.
Kevin

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/aero ... 0370d.html

Re: Jack Randal buying Tulsa Harvey Young Airport

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Hope he has good luck. It sounds really neat. Love that old terminal, bet it has some aviation artwork inside.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:36 pm

I can remember riding my bike out there in the late 60's and early 70's armed with a Kodak instamatic camera when they held the local EAA Fly-In in the fall. I recall seeing some rare planes like the Boeing 247 and a Waco on tricycle gear Also the tiny red biplane, El Chuparosa, that is now in the EAA Museum.
Last edited by Elwyn on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:46 pm

marine air wrote:Hope he has good luck. It sounds really neat. Love that old terminal, bet it has some aviation artwork inside.

That "old terminal" is the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Houston Hobby, not an "artist rendering". In fact, it's ripped directly off the Wikipedia page for the museum. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Air_Terminal_Museum

The specific photo - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Air_ ... Museum.jpg

I did send an e-mail to the writer of the article to make sure he was aware of the origin of the image and the possible CC BY-SA license violation as the original photographer isn't credited.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:57 pm

The Air Terminal Museum Lodestar is a real beauty. Hope she does indeed return to flyable as indicated on the web site.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am

Quick update - the writer, Mr. Morgan, answered my e-mail this morning and said the image will be removed from the online version as the owner confirmed the image provided was of the 1940 HAT and not an actual rendering of what they're hoping to build on the site. Mr. Morgan also said he'd asked the owner for a rendering and that it wasn't something they provided as part of the interview for the story, so at least he was up front about that and not that the owner had done this trying to pull something over on the readers.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Is' Harvy Young a grass strip on east side of Tulsa? I know I am getting old and tend to forget things, but if my rusty memory is still working, I used to fly a Tomahawk and a few Champs from this privately owned airport.
Talachet had a P- 38, P- 47, 2 Spits, 2 P- 39s there in early 80's.
Terminal there was a single story house.
If I am wrong, someone please reboot my brain cells.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:21 pm

That's the one.
Post a reply