Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

P-51 Mustang/Miss Velma Emergency Landing

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:42 pm

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2 ... -in-field/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3981158/p ... loud-bang/

Looks like Miss Velma had some engine trouble and put down in a field. Reports say pilot OK.

(Warbird Registry Photo)
Warbird Registry: P-51 MUSTANG/44-84847

Re: P-51 Mustang/Miss Velma Emergency Landing

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm very glad the pilot is okay, and it will only be a matter of time and expense before it flies again. This happens to come 10 years since its first Flying Legends air show, after it traversed the Atlantic on much the same journey that "Berlin Express" took last week.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:05 pm

That's a rather smooth landing, testimony to what professionals these fellows are. It's wonderful to see the pilot was completely uninjured.

So here's a thought... can the erks at TFC swap the horizontal stabilizer from Miss Velma onto Berlin Express in order to get her home?

Lynn

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Lynn, I think "Berlin Express" was going to be crated up and shipped home by boat anyway, like "Frenesi", before the damage occurred ("BE" would very likely have been shipped over to England in a container too, like "Frenesi", if it had been purchased earlier/had there been enough time to have it shipped to England prior to the Flying Legends airshow). "Miss Velma" is no longer owned by The Fighter Collection either - it has been owned by Anglia Aircraft Restorations for the last year or so.

With regard to the "Miss Velma" incident today, witnesses say that the gear was down on the approach, so going by the photos, the main gear must have collapsed - you can just see that the tail gear doors are deployed, further indicating that the gear was down.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:Lynn, I think "Berlin Express" was going to be crated up and shipped home by boat anyway, like "Frenesi", before the damage occurred ("BE" would very likely have been shipped over to England in a container too, like "Frenesi", if it had been purchased earlier/had there been enough time to have it shipped to England prior to the Flying Legends airshow). "Miss Velma" is no longer owned by The Fighter Collection either - it has been owned by Anglia Aircraft Restorations for the last year or so.

With regard to the "Miss Velma" incident today, witnesses say that the gear was down on the approach, so going by the photos, the main gear must have collapsed - you can just see that the tail gear doors are deployed, further indicating that the gear was down.

Ouch, While no expert I would think that could have resulted in significantly more structural damage than a wheels up landing. Not criticizing by any means. Just wondering if my logic is correct.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:46 pm

I think the intention must have been to try and make the airfield, but it couldn't do so having lost any available power - it has been mentioned on the UK forums that the engine wasn't making a sound and so the aircraft certainly would have been coming down quickly, with no power and a wind-milling prop.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:21 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:I think the intention must have been to try and make the airfield, but it couldn't do so having lost any available power - it has been mentioned on the UK forums that the engine wasn't making a sound and so the aircraft certainly would have been coming down quickly, with no power and a wind-milling prop.

Still a beautiful emergency landing either way.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:35 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:Lynn, I think "Berlin Express" was going to be crated up and shipped home by boat anyway, like "Frenesi", before the damage occurred ("BE" would very likely have been shipped over to England in a container too, like "Frenesi", if it had been purchased earlier/had there been enough time to have it shipped to England prior to the Flying Legends airshow). "Miss Velma" is no longer owned by The Fighter Collection either - it has been owned by Anglia Aircraft Restorations for the last year or so.

Thanks John, I was unaware of the shipping plan; that renders the question moot. :)

As to the possibility of Velma having her gear shorn off, is it possible the pilot cycled the gear immediately before the forced landing with what hydraulic pressure remained?

Thanks again,

Lynn

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:

Ouch, While no expert I would think that could have resulted in significantly more structural damage than a wheels up landing. Not criticizing by any means. Just wondering if my logic is correct.

Having watched the whole thing this is what I observed: The TF-51D was on a base leg to the runway with the gear down. He didn't have enough energy or altitude to complete the turn to final. As he sunk below the ARCO hangar he selected gear up and the gear was reportedly up when he touched down according to a report I just got second hand via the pilot.

He did a remarkable job.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:

Having watched the whole thing this is what I observed: The TF-51D was on a base leg to the runway with the gear down. He didn't have enough energy or altitude to complete the turn to final. As he sunk below the ARCO hangar he selected gear up and the gear was reportedly up when he touched down according to a report I just got second hand via the pilot.

He did a remarkable job.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:46 pm

The gear was definately cycling up, but judging by the sequence of photos in this link, its only just stated to cycle a few feet before it hits the ground......

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=64790048%40N05&view_all=1&text=g-tfsi&sort=date-taken-desc

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Sorry about the airplane, but how lovely to see the pilot walking away...

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Pogo wrote:Sorry about the airplane, but how lovely to see the pilot walking away...

Hear hear. A bad weekend for Mustangs at DX but, thankfully, a much better outcome for both pilots!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:57 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEYYcSSWAAAtnpY.jpg

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 pm

She's back on her wheels and in the hangar at Duxford, you can see from the photo above it was a tight squeeze getting her in past the traffic lights.
Post a reply