Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 am 

Scott,

As someone who has had a topical website since 1996, I can attest to the changes that have occurred through two decades of internet development. Compared to WIX, my site is simple and straightforward. I can only imagine the time commitment required to maintain WIX and frankly could not commit to that.

The problem is that most people want free whatever, and will work really hard to not pay for something. What Photobucket did was completely out of line with any reasonable business practice; I suspect they are desperate. They should have afforded a transition period for people to accept, and maybe offered the third party photo hosting for a reasonable annual fee ($60 maybe). They would have lost many but they lost just about everybody the way they did it.

My site is/was a gateway to other things (book sales) while yours is the destination itself. WIX remains the go-to place for a reference and discussion, so I am glad you are committed to keep it going. I for one will figure out a way to make a small but consistent donation on a monthly basis.

I am curious, though. I was planning on contacting you in a few months to run a banner ad myself on WIX for the upcoming 5th Edition of Final Cut. Not sure how that works and how much it will cost, so I'll email you later for some details about that.

Please keep up the good work and hopefully as more people read about the financial reality of your endeavor, we will step up and support.

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 pm 

I got all of my photos backed up twice so I really haven't lost anything, If someone figures a 3rd party place I will repost the Grumman photos, we had a half million hits on those, PB pretty well sucks.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:27 am 

Hi Scott,

I hope this doesn't come off as being sarcastic, because that's not my intention at all. I've been trying to help generate some funds for the site, but haven't had much luck. I've been trying to get info on how to purchase a banner ad the size of Classic Wings since 29 Jan. I received one reply from you on 2 Feb, but nothing since then. I sent my last PM on 28 May, but didn't get a response. I kind of gave up figuring my PMs were getting buried in the hundreds that you had filling your In Box.

I'm still interested in the banner for my site. You mentioned that you only wanted to have banners that were for products or sites of interest to your visitors. Maybe you could get some feedback from people reading this thread to see if it is a site that will be of interest to WIXers.

Thanks,

Mac
http://www.ww2nar-pac.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Jim MacDonald wrote:
Hi Scott,

I hope this doesn't come off as being sarcastic, because that's not my intention at all. I've been trying to help generate some funds for the site, but haven't had much luck. I've been trying to get info on how to purchase a banner ad the size of Classic Wings since 29 Jan. I received one reply from you on 2 Feb, but nothing since then. I sent my last PM on 28 May, but didn't get a response. I kind of gave up figuring my PMs were getting buried in the hundreds that you had filling your In Box.

I'm still interested in the banner for my site. You mentioned that you only wanted to have banners that were for products or sites of interest to your visitors. Maybe you could get some feedback from people reading this thread to see if it is a site that will be of interest to WIXers.

Thanks,

Mac
http://www.ww2nar-pac.com/

Sorry About that. Unfortunately the sites mail accounts get so hammered with spam that the legit stuff can get lost in the shuffle. I will find your e-mails and get in touch with you in the next few days.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:56 am 

Thanks, Scott.

Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm 

Just got my 3rd Photobucket email prompting me to upgrade for $400 annually. It made me think it's like those infomercial's pleading for money. "For about a dollar a day you too can host your photos from PhotoBucket" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thomas_Mac wrote:
Just got my 3rd Photobucket email prompting me to upgrade for $400 annually. It made me think it's like those infomercial's pleading for money. "For about a dollar a day you too can host your photos from PhotoBucket" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just read an article about this. Basically, if Photobucket looses 99% of it's registered users and the remaining 1% pays the $400 then they will make $400,000,000 a year.... not bad for a 50-person company. Plus their overhead will drop as the server costs will be negligible. There is a method to there madness apparently. Still sucks though.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 am 

I deleted my account the other day. Stuff them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:36 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hummmm....Scott....In all hindsight and honestly.

For the 20+ years I have been around all iterations of the evolution of this site and previous ones.

I cannot thank you enough.....

My daily reads have helped me during darker days and I am very grateful for that.

This being said, I am probably your typical customer when it comes to free..... AKA with 3 kids in private high school and a recent divorce....I always have been on the "I like free" side.

But I do not run add blockers because I know how much they are important to free sites and how they help the owners, but I had no clue how much they tanked up in recent past. Thank you for the information.

I you do decide to call it quits because of other callings, then by all means please do. You deserve a life also I gather :drink3:

Sincerely.

Michel

P.S. as for the apocalypse......who knows where this thing will end up!!! I can hardly follow these days. I think that the future will probably be group subscriptions. This is just an idea OK!

Would I pay 20$ a year...no
Would I pay 2$ a year...yes

But would I pay 20$ a year to have all bundled access to: WIX, Flypast, AeroVintage, the now defunct PlaneTalk and AVI8...yes!

Eventually the whole concept of cloud and SaaS....may evolve into: Internet as a service.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:14 pm 

On my last big photo dump I made the switch to flicker. Photo Bucket kept freezing up whenever I tried to click through very many photos. The message I got was "Long Running Script" as the problem. I wonder if that's another way of saying "Too many ads clogging up the works". Getting the knack on how everything works on Flickr was like jogging through quicksand at times but it's gotten much easier with use.