Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:54 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hey Paul, Happy Anniversary! Just got some more Howell Field stuff I'll be passing along soon. :D

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm 

Congratulations Paul, 20 years online is a major achievement! The website is a continually growing treasure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:24 am 

Entries for an additional 49 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,362 airfields, across all 50 states, thanks to historical material contributed by Kevin Walsh, Brian Rehwinkel, Lee Corbin, Bill Grasha, Mike Denja, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Oberlin Airport OH, Horn Point Aerodrome MD, Bland's Wharf Intermediate Field VA, Milford Intermediate Field VA, Erie Aerodrome MI, Pottawatomie Airport KS, De Witt Airport IA, Grumman Calverton Airfield NY, and updates to many others.
If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:16 pm 

Entries for an additional 79 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website at http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,426 airfields, across all 50 states, thanks to historical material contributed by hundreds of devoted aviation history buffs. Recent entries include new additions describing former airfields such as Riverland Airfield MI, August Acres Airport OH, White Airport CA, Ordway Airport CO, Stinson-Northville Field MI, Columbus Southwest Airport OH, NY Seaplane Base Airport NY, Radford Airport VA, and updates to many others.

If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hey Paul,
Found this about Paducah's Howell Field recently - the photo's not so great but a lot of tidbits in the article:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:55 pm 

You forgot the sister site - forgotten airfields of Europe...

https://www.forgottenairfields.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm 

Paul,

Just curious, after 20+ years online, have any airfields been able to be taken off your list? As in, an airfield that was abandoned or little-known, maybe even with the dreaded "X's" on the runway, but then somehow recovered or brought back to life?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 am 

Yes there have been a few that have been revived. Not many, unfortunately.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 am 

Thanks to historical material contributed by hundreds of devoted aviation history buffs, entries for in additional 91 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website at http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,450 airfields, across all 50 states. Recent entries include new additions describing former airfields such as Lindbergh Field IL, Tillamook Coastway #1 Airport OR, Hotel Carolinian Airfield NC, Lakewood Airport GA, Forest Home Airport MS, Kannapolis Airport NC, NY Seaplane Base Airport NY, Radford Airport VA, and updates to many others.

Paul Freeman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

pfreeman wrote:
Thanks to historical material contributed by hundreds of devoted aviation history buffs, entries for in additional 91 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website at http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,450 airfields, across all 50 states. Recent entries include new additions describing former airfields such as Lindbergh Field IL, Tillamook Coastway #1 Airport OR, Hotel Carolinian Airfield NC, Lakewood Airport GA, Forest Home Airport MS, Kannapolis Airport NC, NY Seaplane Base Airport NY, Radford Airport VA, and updates to many others.

Paul Freeman

I might. I was just looking at your site two weeks ago as I flew over a location near San Angelo, Texas. Now to dig up the photo I took...!

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:31 pm 

About a month ago I went to an estate auction about 4 miles west of Dayton, Ohio. They said the property had once been an airfield, but I cannot remember what it was called. All that remained was one small hanger. The rest was corn.
I picked up a few old parts including this Stearman horizontal stabilizer, and a Stinson aileron. (I hang old parts like these in the garage.)
There is still stuff out there waiting to be found.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:46 pm 

Thanks to historical material contributed by hundreds of devoted aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 117 airfields have been added in the past year to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website at www.airfieldsfreeman.com. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,504 airfields, across all 50 states. Recent entries include new additions describing former airfields such as Ayresport GA, Lexington Airport NC, Canfield Airport ND, Williston Airport ND, Sloulin Field ND, Providence Downtown Helistop RI, Babin Landing Strip LA, Hilton Airport CA, Colonial Airport NC, Original Mt. Airy Airport NC, Hamden Airport CT, Primghar Airport IA, Brown Landing Field SD, Aurora Industrial Airfield IN, Torres Airport PR, Dale Hollow Airport KY, Panamint Springs Auxiliary Airfield CA, Moseley Field AZ, Sharon Airport PA, Woodruff Airport OH, Lonoke Municipal Airport AR, Hemmingway-Stuckey Airport SC, Smithfield Airport RI, Rogert Airstrip NE, Ames Airport MA, Secret Valley CA, Kannapolis Airport NC, and updates to many others.

Paul Freeman
www.airfieldsfreeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RyanShort1 wrote:

I might. I was just looking at your site to weeks ago as I flew over i.location near San Angelo, Texas. Now to dig up the photos I took

Might have been Goodfellow AFB, a UPT base until the late 50s. Still operational, as the AF Intel school and DoD crypto school. Some of the runways still exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:50 am 

Thanks to historical material contributed by hundreds of devoted aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 91 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website at www.airfieldsfreeman.com in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,533 airfields, across all 50 states.

Recent entries include new additions describing former airfields such as Mid-City Airport OH, North Houston Airport TX, Lakelawn Airport NY, Miller Field WV, Vandergrift Airport PA, Whiting Field WI, Airlie Airport VA, Superior Airport WI, TAC-X Army Airfield, De Leon Airport TX, Olla Airport LA, Ash Meadows Airport NV, Perdido River Ranch Airport FL, Kearns Airport OH, Camp Roberts AAF (original) CA, The Westerner Inn Airpark TX, Eulberg Airfield SD, Mission Sioux Airport SD, Vanderbilt Seaplane Base NY, Charles Town Airport WV, Pan Am Heliport NY, Ozarks Flying Patch Airport MO, Jaeck Dropzone Airfield GA, updates to many others.

Paul Freeman
www.airfieldsfreeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:17 am 

How about including some Canadian sites for the Canucks on the site