Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Avro Arrow found

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 am

Well, it's only a model, but it's one they shot out over Lake Ontario in the 1950s to prove the design, using rockets.

http://www.fitzhugh.ca/avro-arrow-model ... e-ontario/

Re: Avro Arrow found

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 am

Do you think anyone will ever find the DC-4 that went down over Lake Michigan in 1950?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:04 pm

If they recovered a real one, certain folks would still be demanding it be used as a prototype to be put into production.... Perhaps only second to the TSR2 in the sour grapes department.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 pm

No photos? I assume this would be fragmentary.

How big was the "model"?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

old iron wrote:No photos? I assume this would be fragmentary.

How big was the "model"?

About 3 meter's long x 2 meters wide(and slightly bent) and about 500 lbs...all before zebra mussels. More or less intact.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:34 am

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 pm

What's it made of? If it's wood, removing those mussels without destroying it may be impossible.

SN

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Steve Nelson wrote:What's it made of? If it's wood, removing those mussels without destroying it may be impossible.

SN

From what I've read or seen sketches of, the models were made of various composites of steel, aluminium, magnesum, wood, and little bit of fiberglass and the composition could be different from one model to another depending on parameters of particular tests. I''ve seen a sketch on one of the Arrow sites where the wing was formed of a slab of wood...which may not be applicable with this model because one of the descriptions of this model from the discovery team, is that the left wing is curled over probably occurring during impact with the water. Even if they built that part of the wing with cross grain cut stock...that's still some serious warpage. :shock: I'm thinking mebbee it's a metal wing of some sort. Any of our Canadian friends here fan of the Arrow? Jump in any time! pop2

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 pm

The models were meant to gather high-speed aerodynamic data, and were mounted to Nike rocket boosters for the tests. So whatever they were made of, it must have been pretty stern stuff.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Whatever happened to the replica Arrow they made for that TV movie? It was in a museum but I can't find any current records on where it is today.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

p51 wrote:Whatever happened to the replica Arrow they made for that TV movie? It was in a museum but I can't find any current records on where it is today.

I believe this is the one you are thinking of. It is at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin
http://www.avroarrow.org/avroarrow/replica.html

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks Thomas_Mac, that the website I was referring to and was getting ready to post. It's a little ponderous to navigate and I couldn't find the structural composition page I noted earlier. I misremembered the wing structure...it was magnesium, per this sketch...
http://www.avroarrow.org/images/FFM/small/c4x5.gif

Dig around in the Free Fight Model section for other goodies.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:51 pm

p51 wrote:Whatever happened to the replica Arrow they made for that TV movie? It was in a museum but I can't find any current records on where it is today.

The full scale replica of RL 203 that was made by the "Toronto Aerospace Museum" is parked at Pearson airport, wrapped in shrink wrap and minus its outer wing panels. Here's a google maps link.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6917535, ... !1e3?hl=en

Andy

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 pm

I just read in a book about the Arrow that the first models were made mainly of wood with some metal formers, while the later ones were all metal.
Post a reply