Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Houston Warbird Status
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

With the report on the people in Florida, I wanted to ask about the people and Warbirds in and around the Houston area? Any word on the Battleship Texas as well?
Wishing the best to all affected in both states.

Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 pm 

I was at the Battleship Texas on Saturday 09/09/17. Everything was open and accepting visitors with no apparent storm damage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The Battleship Texas Foundation informed us in this weeks Deer Park Broadcaster(front page photo), that the Texas did well during the storm. For the storm they installed remote cameras so they could monitor the ships progress. If they had lost power to the ship the results could have been very unfortunate. The Texas, "regularly takes on 300,000 gallons of water per day and pumps which constantly run to remove that water from the hull are already almost pushed to their limits." The Foundation has been trying to find funds to dry-berth the Texas. In the short term they're planning to, "install generators on the ship that will allow the pumps to continue to run in the event of a power loss." Locally, we were very lucky no power was lost in this part of Houston.
http://battleshiptexas.org

Today as a mattery of fact, is Lone Star Flight Museums grand re-opening at Ellington...to replace the one they had to cancel when Harvey so rudely interrupted. They fared well during the hurricane.
www.lonestarflight.org

I haven't heard anything or seen mentioned here, about the West Houston folks where the worst flooding was...need to check the CAF page. Tulio, that's your neighborhood..tho you were out west....

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:51 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thank you all for the replies. I have been donating to there Foundation for many years and have the small Texas shaped paper weight on my desk.
Seeing some of the damage from the are airports, I hope all weathered the storm.

Lynn