Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Florida Warbirds Status ? 1 C-47 loss already...

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 pm

I know it's VERY Early to ask, AND THAT OUR THOUGHTS & PRAYERS WILL ALWAYS GO FIRST TO THE PEOPLE, THEIR PETS, (& for me the wild life of & around Florida ) & PROPERTY !!! But, I just wanted to know if there is any news of the Warbirds down there. I read on Florida Warbirds Facebook, that the Wings of Dreams Aviation Museum's C-47 has been destroyed. Again, hope/Pray for more positive outcomes for everyone there !

Re: Florida Warbirds Status ? 1 C-47 loss already...

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm

From their Facebook page :( :
They were doing engine runs last month.
How about the NMUSAF transferring title to the Chanute C-47 to them as a replacement?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 am

Here is what I know, just updated my front page post

Florida Warbirds made it through the storm with only a power loss for 36 hours or so.

Known status, will update when known:

Fantasy of Flight: Unknown
Stallion 51: From KT -- "All good at Stallion 51, Electricity is back on and we are flying on Tuesday".
Wings over Miami: Unknown
Valiant Air Command: "Good news, our collection safely made it through the onslaught of hurricane Irma, we are currently closed today to clean up and repair some exterior damage. We'll try to keep you as up to date as we can while our volunteers deal with their own post storm clean up and power outages."
Warbird Adventures: "Our "Entrance" sign that was pushed over by Hurricane Irma is completely undamaged. It'll be standing again as our customers return tomorrow Sep 13 as we resume normal business hours. Come fly with us in this gorgeous September weather!"
Florida Air Museum: I heard that power is down on the Sun N Fun side of the airfield.
American Aero Services: Unknown

More from Titusville: Good post hurricane morning, the VAC Museum reopens today for business. While we sufferered minimal damage to the museum building and no damage to any of our collection we are still without internal phone connectivity and internet access. You can still call the main museum number and press "3" to leave a message and someone will get back to you. Stay safe out there, many in our community and all along the path of this storm are still without normalcy in their lives right now.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Kermit just posted his tour of Fantasy of Flight after the storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquXX4WGmTU&feature=youtu.be

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Chris Brame wrote:From their Facebook page :( :
They were doing engine runs last month.
How about the NMUSAF transferring title to the Chanute C-47 to them as a replacement?

That would make to much sense.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm not sure where but I saw another balled-up Douglas (C-117 I think?) that looked to have been flipped over and then run over by a giant rolling pin. Painful to see and I really feel for the owners.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Just to clarify, Wings of Dreams Museum lost the C-47 down in Ft Myers, but the one in Starke that just had a successful engine run should be ok.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:55 am

Having these aviation museums located in hurricane prone states is just asking for trouble. It is not the first, nor will it be the last warbird to succumb to poor location planning. It always amazes me how stupid we humans are. Fortunately this one was a common type,.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 am

So if you rule out states prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, and earthquakes, what does that leave? :?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 am

raconnel wrote:So if you rule out states prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, and earthquakes, what does that leave? :?

Chicago? :lol:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Wings over Miami: We are up and running! Miami Executive Airport did well during the storm.

The museum has some temporary hours. Please check before coming out to visit.

Sept 16 and 17: regular hours - 10am-5pm
Sept 18 and 19: Closed
Sept 20: Closed for maintenance
Sept 21: Regular hours - 10am-5pm
Sept 22: 10am-2pm
Sept 23 and 24: Regular hours - 10am-5pm

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 pm

bdk wrote:
raconnel wrote:So if you rule out states prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, and earthquakes, what does that leave? :?

He said tornadoes... :wink: Maybe Arizona? Some big flat place like, say, Pima.
(9999 posts, bdk - make the next one a good one! :D )

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Chris Brame wrote:
bdk wrote:

He said tornadoes... :wink: Maybe Arizona? Some big flat place like, say, Pima.
(9999 posts, bdk - make the next one a good one! :D )

Nope, he said "wildfires" and I'm sure this state (AZ) is going to burn to the ground one day.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

As we said when I lived in western NY State... "after the snow melts, the buildings are usually still standing".
Of course the grass strip at Geneseo is unusable 5? months of the year. No place is perfect.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Mick G wrote:Having these aviation museums located in hurricane prone states is just asking for trouble. It is not the first, nor will it be the last warbird to succumb to poor location planning. It always amazes me how stupid we humans are. Fortunately this one was a common type,.

We humans can be pretty stupid alright, but gotta admit, there be lots and lots of ticket-buying tourists at the seashore. To the best of my knowledge, West Virginia is about the safest state in the Union, natural calamity wise. I have not a derogatory thing to say about WV, but as is often said, "do the math."
Post a reply