Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Movie Memphis Bell Top Turret

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:26 am

Noticed this weekend at Andrews AFB Air SHow that the Movie Memphis Belle is flying minus its top turret- anyone know what's up- Is it getting repaired for some reason or has it gone back to Swamp Ghost

Re: Movie Memphis Bell Top Turret

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:27 am

If I recall the top turret came from "Big Stoop" from the Lost Squadron.
Last edited by Warbird Kid on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:26 am

Liberty Foundation took it out for more room when they used it for rides. Still in storage I would assume.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:38 am

According to the conversation on their FB page, NWM is debating what to do going forward. They have the turret but putting it back in would add a lot of weight. They are looking at options such as the faux turret top to make it look complete.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am

CH2Tdriver wrote:According to the conversation on their FB page, NWM is debating what to do going forward. They have the turret but putting it back in would add a lot of weight. They are looking at options such as the faux turret top to make it look complete.

Ah, I would assume it would be similar to the shell Fuddy Duddy had. Pretty much nothing but two dummy 50 cals in it. But it does make the cockpit more roomy.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Was the F turret very different from the E turret?
Desert Rat/Tangerine might need one...
Warbird Kid wrote:If I recall the top turret came from "Big Stoop" from the Lost Squadron.

I thought it came from the Black Cat Pass wreck? Or did that go to another B-17?
Post a reply