Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: DHC Caribou
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm 

Anybody know if anything is happening at PEN Turbo Aviation? I know their were big plans for 20 units for Australia, but that fizzled out. Seems a shame more aircraft have not been converted, some 3 units in 2 decades can't be financially viable. That and the 3rd air-frame they converted was written off shortly after being delivered to the customer in Indonesia October 31, 2016. I wonder if this will put the final nail in the coffin for PEN Turbo program? Shame really, those aircraft if converted to turbo should still have a niche, bolstered by the fact that now Viking is considering re-launching the DHC5 Buffalo. I see that one of the 2 remaining is for sale:

http://www.usaircraftsales.com/aircraft/view/12

Post subject: Re: DHC Caribou
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't heard about Viking's Buffalo plans.
Any idea what engine they'd use?
I recall reading in the period (an article by our very own Stephen Wilkinson) that one reason why the type wasn't a commercial success was its rare (expensive, unsupported?) engines.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 pm 

Sorry, I confused the re-launch with Vikings plans for the re-launch of the CL415 program...my error.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't know Viking had the rights to the CL-415 (ex-Canadair) since they got famous for building ex-DHC types.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'll give you two hints as to why they didn't make it commercially. 1) Grumman Albatross 2) Grumman S2F/C-1. These types were also unsuccessful for similar reason.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 am 

JohnB wrote:
I didn't know Viking had the rights to the CL-415 (ex-Canadair) since they got famous for building ex-DHC types.

they just bought the CL 215/415 rights from Bombardier. They were talking about a new Buffalo for the FWSAR contract, but the CASA won that , so I don't know if that is till in the works. A Commercial Buffalo restart would probably work as many of the DC-3/C-47's are nearing the end of their life ( lack of avgas not airframe issues) and the worlds needs a great STOL cargo aircraft that is larger than a DHC-6 or Caravan. Using the same engines and props from the Q400 would make the aircraft a really winner!! I am sure you would find many buyers around the world looking for the cargo ramp capability that comes with the Buffalo over the side loading Caravan.

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A few years ago, I photographed the aircraft languishing on the ramp at Pen Turbo's facility. They're right across the road from the NAS Wildwood Aviation Museum. It was really sad to see all of those Caribou sitting idle in that salty air (they're not far from the sea).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you would think there would be a market for a basic rear door freighter.
But there have been many proposals over the years (remember the Ahearn, and there was a tri engine prop design as well, and probably a few others that never got built), some have come to fruition (CASA, CN-235, Skyvan/Sherpa), but many are either too small or too expensive.
At least with a resurrected Buffalo, the basic R&D is paid for, but I'm sure the costs of getting it back into production...with new engines, avionics, systems and to meet new regulations...would be eye watering.
With a new Kodiak (basically a smaller Caravan) going for about $2 million, I can only guess what a Buffalo would go for. Not exactly an entry level ship for a bush operator.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think why it has not been that successful as a civilian type is 1) It's extremely slow cruise speed and 2) It's operating cost per flight hour and cost per mile.

A friend of mine flew special ops missions in Vietnam, flying four tours in Caribou, C-130's and other types. He flew to over 400 airports, and landing zones. Most of them rough and unimproved. even in Afghanistan there are several former Soviet runways and other facilities to choose from. Helicopters have filled the need in most areas of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 am 

HARS has a couple in Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqW4uvrjNTs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:49 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
A friend of mine flew special ops missions in Vietnam, flying four tours in Caribou, C-130's and other types. He flew to over 400 airports, and landing zones. Most of them rough and unimproved. even in Afghanistan there are several former Soviet runways and other facilities to choose from.

A few years ago the History Channel had a series about Vietnam, IIRC about Air America. In one film clip it showed a Caribou stabbing a landing on an uneven undulating track on the spine of a steep mountain...what's often referred to in the mountains of the South US as a razorback. Almost at the end of a bouncing and lurching flogfest, the Caribou disappeared into a huge cloud of dust and debris when the props hit reverse pitch. As the dust cloud cleared one expected to see catastrophic wreckage...but nope, out the beast trundled leaving a dust wake as it taxied to it's miniscule unloading turnaround spot. Freakin' awesome! Some of those guys must have lingering internal organ damage! Hugely underpaid!

On another note...Has anyone seen early period photos of Caribous in natural metal finish? I can swear I have, but I haven't been able to find any. Anybody?

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is what I used to fly back in 1972, 30 pax, 3 or 4 R/T a day

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:01 pm 

Not a DHC but still cool after all these years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYtRCC7gSN4