Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:18 am 

There is a youtube video allegedly taken at 2017 Duxford which shows a P-51D, silver with blue nose/rudder landing with obvious damage to the left horizontal stabilizer. Possibly a minor mid-air, or perhaps an errant tree jumped up and hit it?

go to the 11:50 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M29tkXQ ... e&t=10m25s

Just curious why I haven't heard more about it. I'm sure you super sleuths will know the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Prop from the first hit the horizontal of the other. Both landed ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 am 

Yes, there was and it is well known outside of this forum and to the rest of the world. It hasn't been an emphasis here because of two reasons:

1) It happened in England. As much as I don't like it, this forum tends to emphasize North American happenings more heavily than any where else in the world.

2) A lot of forum regulars who would have reported this have left WIX for various reasons.

Previously reported on WIX here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65807

Also, a more close up, eletronically stabilized version of the video where you can clearly see the collision here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjz5-PFIyRA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Man, talk about LUCKY. Hope that pilot throws an extra shilling in the collection plate this week.

In 1945, mechanics would have that replaced overnight but I'm sure it'll take longer than a couple days to get the stabilizer replaced/repaired. Very, very glad no one was injured in this incident.

Lynn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

If this had been much worse, there would have been no margin to bail out.
They were VERY fortunate.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Smart's great, but lucky's better.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

tinbender2 wrote:
Just curious why I haven't heard more about it. I'm sure you super sleuths will know the answer.

It was reported here, see the thread "Warbird happenings slipping a bit around here? .. Part 2 ..." posted on the 25th.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 pm 
KiwiZac

tinbender2 wrote:
allegedly

??

Like Chad said, it was posted here, and like OD/NG said this forum tends to be much more North American-heavy (although, as I found out recently, there are exceptions!).

To be honest it never even crossed my mind as something to share here.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm 

KiwiZac wrote:
tinbender2 wrote:
allegedly

??

Like Chad said, it was posted here, and like OD/NG said this forum tends to be much more North American-heavy (although, as I found out recently, there are exceptions!).

To be honest it never even crossed my mind as something to share here.

There is a lot of pure BS on the net, and not seeing a clearly labelled post about it here, raised my suspicions.

I don't have a lot of time for internet warbirding, and 99% of it is spent here. Please pardon my troglodism.

I've repaired lots of similar structural damage, and I wouldn't be surprised to find additional damage in the aft fuselage.

Thanks to all who provided the above info. :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 pm 
KiwiZac

I totally understand! Within a week two threads called "Warbird happenings slipping a bit around here?" - a very uninformative and unhelpful title - were started covering completely different subjects and I'm fairly sure not everyone is like me and visits every thread. You don't read that title and think "Oh, a DH Sea Hornet is being restored to fly" or "A P-51 British airshow fans call The Shark 'bit' another P-51"!

That said, I also visit the big British warbird forum (Key Publishing) at about the same time every day as I visit WIX so I learned about the incident there.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:16 am 

KiwiZac wrote:
I totally understand! Within a week two threads called "Warbird happenings slipping a bit around here?" - a very uninformative and unhelpful title - were started covering completely different subjects and I'm fairly sure not everyone is like me and visits every thread.

THIS. Please lets keep the titles relevant. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:29 am 

CH2Tdriver wrote:
KiwiZac wrote:
I totally understand! Within a week two threads called "Warbird happenings slipping a bit around here?" - a very uninformative and unhelpful title - were started covering completely different subjects and I'm fairly sure not everyone is like me and visits every thread.

THIS. Please lets keep the titles relevant. Thanks!

YES!!!!!!

This is my pet peeve! I hate it when people here put worthless, irrelevant titles on their threads, thinking they are "cute" or forcing people to open them to see what it's about, just to increase the number of views. Those people don't realize they are making life much more difficult for the rest of us by increasing confusion, adding repetitive threads that already exist and aren't needed, and making it much more difficult to do searches for older or archived threads. I have had a heck of a time finding old threads that I knew I read just because the titles on them have no relation to the content within or are overly vague.

I really wish the MODS would edit irrelevant thread titles to keep this from happening!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Calm down!!! 99.99% of my countless thread titles On this site over the years have been spot on. The original thread title was a fact, but I'll change the titles on the two threads for ya's, but if you think I was intending some sort of attention grab or thread count your a dreamer. You have something positive to post then post it. If not your wasting people's time around here. I brought attention to two different warbirds events albeit a 'cute' title. Get over it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Calm down!!! 99.99% of my countless thread titles On this site over the years have been spot on. The original thread title was a fact, but I'll change the titles on the two threads for ya's, but if you think I was intending some sort of attention grab or thread count your a dreamer. You have something positive to post then post it. If not your wasting people's time around here. I brought attention to two different warbirds events albeit a 'cute' title. Get over it.

Mark it is called "Click Bait" out on the WWW, and generally it gets people annoyed. Many of us don't have time to sift through every single thread on WIX, and elect to open only those we are interested in. In addition, it causes someone else to take the time a post a duplicate thread, someone else to say "we are already discussing it here" and copy paste the link, not to mention eating up Scott's bandwidth and storage with multiple threads. So stop wasting peoples time, stop attacking others, calm down and say point taken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

what about 99.99% of the time my thread titles are spot on. If I need a lecture from you I'll let you know. Like I said get over it. I updated the titles. You think I'm going to take a shot from you and state "point taken" you know what you can do. I know what click bait is and I don't have time to worry about it. If you don't have time that's your problem. If your annoyed that's your problem as well and spare me your BS hypocrisy about attacking people. Again I fixed what your b*tching about so like I stated get over it and move on.